• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Calgary Expo - Cancelled
3 3

171 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, thehumantorch said:

Per the Supreme Intelligence :S of greggy, I have had to cancel my Calgary Suites hotel and Golden, BC hotel booking to/from Calgary expo. If California had to shut down Yosemite Nat'l Park, then I expect City of Calgary to 'postpone' Calgary Expo due to Covid-19 fears.

Dear Fans,

I understand you’ve been waiting for answers about the upcoming Calgary Expo and sharing your thoughts with us - anticipation, unease, sadness, frustration, confusion. We hear you. I know I owe it to you to shed some light on what we’ve been tackling and how it relates to you, our amazing fan community. To be fully transparent, the team and I are feeling the same roller coaster of emotions as this situation changes day by day.

We’d originally hoped that the collective emergency response to COVID-19 and the unprecedented protocols put in place would control this horrible virus quickly enough for us to bring you the show in some form. We know many of our celebrity guests, partners, and vendors shared that hope as we communicated with them to explore all available options before confirming any changes publicly.

However, it’s clear to all of us that the right thing to do is to postpone Calgary Expo 2020 to another date this year. Ultimately, the safety of our fans, guests and staff comes first. It’s our responsibility to do our part to honour and support the efforts of the front-line professionals making enormous sacrifices to keep us safe right now.

I wish I had all the answers for you right now, but here’s what we know so far:

1. Calgary Expo 2020 will be postponed from its original date on April 23-26 to a new date in Summer of 2020. Though our options are limited, we’ve been working with our venue and following all available official guidance to find a new date.

2. We need some time to finalize details and provide you with all the info you need to make the best decision for you. However, we commit to another update with information on the new Calgary Expo 2020, including dates, no later than Monday, March 30.

One more thing:
Know that our Fan First refund program remains available now and allows for a ticket refund for the full price of the ticket (minus service charges), no questions asked. If you need to cancel your tickets, we understand. If you’d like to hold on to your tickets until you next week, that’s great too. We’ll do our best to get you all the info you need to decide then.

I know I speak for the Calgary Expo team when I say that we would love nothing more than to celebrate Calgary Expo 15 with you. Our strength is in our community, and that is what has made the Calgary Expo rise for the past 15 years.

Right now, the team is incredibly busy confirming, making shifts, and planning an amazing show for you. If we’re a little quiet, or take a little longer to respond, be patient. We’re all working from home, staying connected every way we can, and working with partners who are doing the same.

Finally, we each have a part to play in getting us back to our daily norms, not to mention defeating COVID 19… Please remember, wash your hands, stay healthy and take care of each other.

Thanks for understanding and be back to you soon…

Aman Gupta
President, FAN EXPO HQ

90453180_10158109763434911_8415055583975047168_o.jpg

5 minutes ago, kimik said:

Is there any chance this can be held during Stompede week? There will be plenty of $$$ to go around for all of the vendors. 

Hi Ryan.  I think having the Stampede in July is wishful thinking right now.  I'd be surprised if any large festivals go ahead in Alberta this year. 2c

6 minutes ago, kimik said:

Is there any chance this can be held during Stompede week? There will be plenty of $$$ to go around for all of the vendors. 

And zero hotel spaces

Just now, Quicksilver Signs said:

Cowboys buy comics?

Some do (Westerns mostly), but it attracts a lot of the same crowd that the Expo does (I have run into a number of comic buyers at stompede corporate events, for example). 

1 hour ago, piper said:

I think having the Stampede in July is wishful thinking right now.  I'd be surprised if any large festivals go ahead in Alberta this year. 2c

So not much chance of Calgary Expo taking over SDCC dates around July 22 to July 26/20? Stay healthy cowboys and cowgirls.

32 minutes ago, aardvark88 said:

So not much chance of Calgary Expo taking over SDCC dates around July 22 to July 26/20? Stay healthy cowboys and cowgirls.

I think SDCC gets canceled too. :(

I appreciate everybody's optimism but I don't forsee a single show happening this summer at all, including FanExpo in August.

They are talking that we will still be needing to social distancing in August at restaurants, where they will have to reduce seating by a half to three quarters to provide enough space between patrons.  MLB has already resigned themselves to not having a season this year.  The 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games will not take place in 2020 and that's a 50 Billion Dollar property.  This ain't good.

I know this might not be the right thread, I just see a lot of guys I have a deep respect for in this thread and feel like we should be cautiously optimistic at best and I would pay money to be proven wrong.

1 hour ago, Guardian Comics said:

I appreciate everybody's optimism but I don't forsee a single show happening this summer at all, including FanExpo in August.

They are talking that we will still be needing to social distancing in August at restaurants, where they will have to reduce seating by a half to three quarters to provide enough space between patrons.  MLB has already resigned themselves to not having a season this year.  The 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games will not take place in 2020 and that's a 50 Billion Dollar property.  This ain't good.

I know this might not be the right thread, I just see a lot of guys I have a deep respect for in this thread and feel like we should be cautiously optimistic at best and I would pay money to be proven wrong.

I don't think anything is 100% until they get the virus under control.