• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Best Rendition vs The Worst Rendition

89 posts in this topic

35 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

+1

I’d considered posting something from Robbins’ Cap run as well.

Excruciating is an accurate description, but between those issues and his Invaders run it’s difficult to choose one standout image that’s much more craptastic than the many others.

However, the impasse does lead me into posting this classic panel  from the Cap run.

It’s still Steve Rogers, after all..

fr2.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Good God!! Frank Robbins Art! Why, man, why?!!

On 11/18/2019 at 4:29 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

OK, this will either run and run, die a quick death, or someone will dig out the "we've done this before" thread :)

Show me your best renditions of a character(s) alongside the worst.

Here's one to set the tone. I'll let you judge which is which:

1753345569_capamse1.thumb.jpg.26fb77c0235aef6b6f9159da0fc9ae34.jpg  ca257.thumb.jpg.6c1414390f42cfbad3179b95a1569baf.jpg

Aw man, look, I realize Steranko's Hulk is goofy, but there's just something about it that I love. I don't know what it is. How enormous he is, his weirdass long legs, that bizarre look on his face...something about it makes me smile every time I see it.

2 minutes ago, F For Fake said:
On 11/18/2019 at 3:29 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

OK, this will either run and run, die a quick death, or someone will dig out the "we've done this before" thread :)

Show me your best renditions of a character(s) alongside the worst.

Here's one to set the tone. I'll let you judge which is which:

1753345569_capamse1.thumb.jpg.26fb77c0235aef6b6f9159da0fc9ae34.jpg  ca257.thumb.jpg.6c1414390f42cfbad3179b95a1569baf.jpg

Aw man, look, I realize Steranko's Hulk is goofy, but there's just something about it that I love. I don't know what it is. How enormous he is, his weirdass long legs, that bizarre look on his face...something about it makes me smile every time I see it.

Could be it looks made for kids imagination that the Hulk is bigger than life :) fond memories!

2 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

I love it too and said so in another thread here (the inspiration for this thread). There are a few anatomical issues of course, but the overall effect is oddly mesmerising. So to clarify, the Steranko is my best 'Cap and Hulk' cover. It's the other one that makes me want to tear my eyes out with it's lazy mediocrity. 

11 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

I love it too and said so in another thread here (the inspiration for this thread). There are a few anatomical issues of course, but the overall effect is oddly mesmerising. So to clarify, the Steranko is my best 'Cap and Hulk' cover. It's the other one that makes me want to tear my eyes out with it's lazy mediocrity. 

Oh, good! I have heard/seen folks rag on Steranko's Hulk many times over the years, but I find it so charming. I guess I'm defensive about it! ha

1 minute ago, F For Fake said:

Oh, good! I have heard/seen folks rag on Steranko's Hulk many times over the years, but I find it so charming. I guess I'm defensive about it! ha

No worries. Art can have it's technical faults and yet still dazzle (see also some Kirby art). As a kid, Steranko dazzled me. His art has something. Well, for me and you anyway.

1 hour ago, F For Fake said:

Steranko, on the other hand, was an absolute master of design. His figure work wasn't as strong as Kirby, but he had such a great eye for laying out an image, and really moved comics into the realm of pop art.

Precisely.  Brilliant cover designs, great sequential panel layout and visual storytelling, but his figure work could be very inconsistent, and his story plotting and dialogue wasn't that special. 

43 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

Precisely.  Brilliant cover designs, great sequential panel layout and visual storytelling, but his figure work could be very inconsistent, and his story plotting and dialogue wasn't that special. 

Agree 100%! Let's form a genius club!

11 hours ago, Larryw7 said:

Batman looks like he's wearing a black raincoat in panels 3 and 4.

HOW do you screw something like that up?  Also one of them artists unable to draw open mouth so everyone speaks with mouth gritted closed. 

3 hours ago, F For Fake said:

His arm isnt coming out of his chest either-that's his shoulder to the right of the bricks-its in shadow.  The biggest issue i have with it is his hand is larger than Bucky, if you consider the distance and perspective.  He's bigger than Giant Man, here.

Edited by kav

There's a lot of bad Spider-Man art out there? But nothing, tops fat, roid Spider-Man as the champion of "getting the character wrong".

image.thumb.png.7aaed4df3cf2ae2eec16e5354f4ca9b8.png

As for best? Shoot I could pick any Romita or Ditko cover... but  I'm cheating and putting up BOTH of these covers, since I think each of them are a collection of awesome depictions of not just Spidey but every character on the page.

image.png.525208a5438a96836dd18d9e81f3bebf.pngimage.png.4c54779ad9b83cd88564adee7a383e72.png

21 minutes ago, fmaz said:

There's a lot of bad Spider-Man art out there? But nothing, tops fat, roid Spider-Man as the champion of "getting the character wrong".

Good lord wtf

Reminds me of Wayne Boring fat Superman.

image.jpeg.e0dc239f864398bcebada52937ace930.jpeg

37 minutes ago, fmaz said:

As for best? Shoot I could pick any Romita or Ditko cover... but  I'm cheating and putting up BOTH of these covers, since I think each of them are a collection of awesome depictions of not just Spidey but every character on the page.

That is some fugly art. I was out of collecting during the nineties and basically missed the whole decade when it comes to comics. I had to look up the artist - Jae Lee? Was his other stuff just as bad?

Lectro needs immediate emergency surgery on rt thigh due to huge growth.

Spider Man has arm muscles that dont exist.  Kirby can pull this off but not that dude.

He also has pinheaditis.

Edited by kav