• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Best Rendition vs The Worst Rendition

89 posts in this topic

21 hours ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

Both suck (shrug)

100% agree, that Steranko cover had someone come behind him and add stuff. Hulk's right arm is coming out of his chest muscle; you can see clearly that his shoulder is extending past that wall

20 hours ago, Nice Face said:

There are no "good" versions of Humberto Ramos art, only horrible.

I actually enjoy his rendition of the black costume Spider-man.  His style airs a sense of dark creepiness to Spider-man.  I am at work but if you can't find any examples, I will post a commission on a blank cover that I have that will show you what I mean.

1 hour ago, nepatkm said:

Best rendition debatable, but ...lol

FE14452F-226D-4F38-82D0-5D56015BF394.jpeg

D3A5E8A6-892F-4976-A8FD-175DFBE7C94A.jpeg

The 1990's were a scary time in the history of comics! lol

Why is the Punisher frolicking with a beach ball?

What are those Weird Dinosaurs in bikinis?

I don't remember toothbrushes costing $20 then!

Why Frank, Why?! lol

Edited by comics4all

15 hours ago, Summydad1 said:

Worst- I know this is beating a dead horse but it makes me laugh every time I see it. 

Best- I love Kirby but Alex Ross is a master. 

IMG_8154.JPG

IMG_8156.JPG

I love Alex Ross too... but this particular piece makes my brain itch.  The shield is TOO SMALL.  Like JUST too small enough to be really really annoying.

On 11/19/2019 at 9:03 AM, Summydad1 said:

Worst- I know this is beating a dead horse but it makes me laugh every time I see it. 

Best- I love Kirby but Alex Ross is a master. 

IMG_8154.JPG

IMG_8156.JPG

Isn't it the job of editors to prevent abominations such as the Rob Liefeld cover above? I still can't understand how Liefeld ever got any work in the comic industry.

Not that I like Alex Ross' art either but Liefeld is a cut below just about anybody.

(shrug)

Edited by Hepcat

1 hour ago, comics4all said:

Never understood Liefeld's popularity as an artist!

I know it was the style of the 90s but his peers @ the time were/are much better: Silvestri, Mcfarlane, Lee, etc !

Basically why I got bored with Liefeld's work around X-Force 1, but stayed interested in other creators such as Arthur Adams throughout that decade.  Substance as well as just style.

Edited by Ken Aldred

32 minutes ago, SeniorSurfer said:

I'm a Kirby Cap fan but was also wowed by Steranko's brief take on the character.  I'll insert another selection though as my all-time worst rendition that I remember even now.  Every page of Robbins' run was excruciating to turn to and couldn't be saved even if Hemingway was writing the dialogue. 

CapB.jpg

CapG1.jpg

+1

I’d considered posting something from Robbins’ Cap run as well.

Excruciating is an accurate description, but between those issues and his Invaders run it’s difficult to choose one standout image that’s much more craptastic than the many others.

However, the impasse does lead me into posting this classic panel  from the Cap run.

It’s still Steve Rogers, after all..

fr2.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Edited by Ken Aldred

5 hours ago, Larryw7 said:

Batman looks like he's wearing a black raincoat in panels 3 and 4.

frank-robbins-batman-page.jpg

Never noticed that.

Makes it look more like the Victorian costume design from Gotham by Gaslight.

Edited by Ken Aldred