• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Best Rendition vs The Worst Rendition

89 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Black_Adam said:

I had that reprint book from the 70s with all the old Batman comics in it and many of the stories from the 50s (Bat-Mite!) were a ton of fun....

That was Batman Annual 7 from Spring 1964:

edited-image_zps3t2hnish.jpg

And wasn't there also a zebra Batman?

You bet there was! Here's a scan of my copy:

06-06-201175038PM.jpg

:headbang:

Edited by Hepcat

Oh man! I looked through that book in the book store at the Wellington Square Mall in downtown London, Ontario when it was first published and it made me pine for all the Batman and other comics I'd missed because I was born too late! Not that I was prescient enough to actually buy the book either. Now of course a really nice copy would fetch a pretty penny indeed.

:frown:

23 minutes ago, Hepcat said:

That was Batman Annual 7 from Spring 1964:

edited-image_zps3t2hnish.jpg

You bet there was! Here's a scan of my copy:

06-06-201175038PM.jpg

:headbang:

When you scroll up and down, zebra costume flickers.

Not a DC guy but I've always liked the look of those DC annuals from the 60's.  I did buy the Supes 30's-70's as a kid and managed to reaquire that one and then found the Batman one too a few years ago when I was on a nostalgia kick buying 70's firesides, indexes, treasuries and other junk.  I actually tried to read some of the Bats book and it is pretty bad. :shy:

20191122_173745.jpg

12 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

Yup. It's a classic.  Great design.

I'm always amazed that Bob Kane created it, someone who ordinarily was a complete hack.

About the only time he really raised his game.  

Shelley Moldoff was already ghosting for Kane, and Jerry Robinson was assisting as.well. So I'm sure Bob had a little help.