• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aren’t Missing MVS Supposed To Be Green Label?
2 2

48 posts in this topic

Wouldn't it be like a signature that wasn't witnessed........where you can opt for a green label and get the higher grade (they ignore the writing on the book).......or you can opt to have them judge the writing as a defect and get a blue label with a lower grade.

Edited by Domo Arigato

4 minutes ago, Domo Arigato said:

Wouldn't it be like a signature that wasn't witnessed........where you can opt for a green label and get the higher grade (they ignore the writing on the book).......or you can opt to have them judge the writing as a defect and get a blue label with a lower grade.

That's what I would think happened too :)

it's always been a toss up on which to get, lucky I haven't been in that situation 

If you get a green label its saying "If the MVS weren't missing this book would be a 5.0".  The blue label basically grades the book as if the missing MVS were a defect.  So its graded like a book thats missing a quarter of a cover because it was torn out.  IMO I don't think books missing the MVS should get a green label (or counted as incomplete) and reserve its use for incomplete books (missing centerfolds etc).

Edited by comicquant

As a blue label the 4.5 would be a 1.5 

from MCS  - Fair (FR) condition

Fair/Good FR/GD 1.5
Fair FR 1.0

A FR is the lowest grade a comic book can receive as long as the story and art are complete. A FR copy will have virtually no eye appeal and will display major damage. A comic book in FR condition may have non-story elements such as coupons, ad pages, or Marvel Value Stamps cut or torn out of the book. Types of damage that place a comic in FR range include: A spine split of up to 2/3 the length of the book, a missing back cover provided the front cover is still attached, severe water damage or residue damage, mold, and paper deterioration due to oxidation.

6 minutes ago, Iceman399 said:
10 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

Because not all 1.5s are the same.

Of course not.  It's why we see a large variation in pricing because you can have an ugly 1.5 or a pretty looking 1.5.  There is a significant difference between a 1.5 and a 1.5 incomplete.

I like the idea of a Qualified label.

It catches a LOT of defects where the universal grade doesn't tell the whole story. It's more information, which is always good.

They should just always have provided the Universal grade with the Qualified grade.

8 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

Because not all 1.5s are the same.

And that’s why God gave us eyes and a mind, so we can decipher for ourselves what 1.5’s we like better!!!!

Green label was not the smartest marketing idea ever, nor was posting a 5.5 Hulk #1 and showing it as a 9.2 label in your marketing campaign.  Of course neither was no inner wells, or posting pictures of Paul holding a book without gloves on when the entire IG world was beeyotching about getting horrible grades due to “fingerprints” but sometimes mistakes are made!!!!! 

4 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

I like the idea of a Qualified label.

It catches a LOT of defects where the universal grade doesn't tell the whole story. It's more information, which is always good.

They should just always have provided the Universal grade with the Qualified grade.

What more does a qualified label provide that a notation couldn't make such as "coupon missing from page".  Be nice if CGC had started with just one label colour and added the proper notation so the gap between resto and unresto books wouldn't bee so large :baiting: 

2 minutes ago, southern cross said:

Personally a incomplete book is poor. Missing stamp that does not affect story or it's been blessed by the pope. Incomplete is poor. Blue green red label can't make a poor book better. Anyway green labels don't have any and I avoid them like the plaque. My 2c

The Qualified label is not just about missing stamps though.

They are about one significant defect on an otherwise much nicer book.

Writing, missing pieces, switched staples (which, incidentally Overstreet allows on Vintage books) and other defects are all things that are covered by the Qualified label.

Personally (and as a collector) I like the idea of a green label because it conveys more information than just a universal grade does.

I suppose in an an ideal world, you'd have all of this stuff in grader's notes and they would be free. In that sense, the Qualified label is a compromise.

It boils down to personal preference.  In my eyes a green label says "this is what your book could've been had it not been partially mutilated or tampered with".  A grade is a grade is a grade but the green label attempts to put lipstick on a pig.  I'm not one of those people who needs to be convinced my book is better than it is.  I would rather have an outstanding looking universal 6.0 than a green label 9.4.      

Edited by comicquant