• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay grab bags
2 2

31 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, the blob said:

A looooong time ago I got a grab bag of 100 BA books for $50. They were advertised as being Fine and the seller had some titles, but no issues or pics. Payment by check or MO. This is before everyone had pics or took PayPal. He seemed like a reputable seller though. Nice array of Marvels, all 9.0-9.6, half of them mark jewelers. Got lucky on some others. But these were all 15+ years ago. Now most look like scams. I used to sell grab bags, but I was specific by era, opg value, etc. Minimum $100 log, up to $1000. Usually sold at 30-45% of that. Sometimes by title, company, etc. One return out of about 50. 

With ebay's Buyer weighted return policy how is it that most of these drek grab bags don't just get returned to the seller at the seller's expense.  I mean even if the seller was spot on with a description that was hard to argue SNAD some buyers will still get their money back with return shipping charged to the seller.  Unless the seller's grab bag price was low enough ~ return shipping for the buyer, it would always behoove the buyer to initiate a return.  I guess if sellers are still seeing return rates that low it is still worth it to unload drek.

6 minutes ago, justafan said:

With ebay's Buyer weighted return policy how is it that most of these drek grab bags don't just get returned to the seller at the seller's expense.  I mean even if the seller was spot on with a description that was hard to argue SNAD some buyers will still get their money back with return shipping charged to the seller.  Unless the seller's grab bag price was low enough ~ return shipping for the buyer, it would always behoove the buyer to initiate a return.  I guess if sellers are still seeing return rates that low it is still worth it to unload drek.

hmm good question... I am guessing maybe they dispute it as a raffle thing if a return is started. Or maybe because its low dollar most don't not sure though.. 

45 minutes ago, justafan said:

Any item can be returned but i believe you would lose if you tried to say the grab bag didn't contain what you ordered unless the total number of books was wrong.  If the seller could prove they stated 10 books would be shipped and the buyer received 10 books then it would just be a return at the expense of the buyer.  I've watch a few of the mystery box videos on Utube and the buyers seem happy with complete drek as long as they don't already own the book(s). 

22 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Not that I would ever do one of those. Everything posted is 100% correct. Use your common sense. 

But a guy at work bought one at a local con and actually scored. He got a very high grade Black Cat Mystery #50. He was hoping for a slabbed, signed Stan Lee book and was a little disappointed until I explained what it was. I told him he could sell or trade it for several signed Stan books. 

It can happen but most likely never...

???

Someone put a $10,000 raw pre-code horror book in a grab bag? What?

59 minutes ago, october said:

I've done well with lots, where the seller is too lazy/ignorant to list all of the books, but grab bags? Throwing my money directly in the trash is less work and less disappointing. 

This here.  Or lots where poor photos are posted.  It’s a bit more of a gamble, but those have paid off for me in the past.

On 11/19/2019 at 9:31 AM, Krismusic said:

its the same thing with the Instagram comic raffles.. the winner is always a friend of theirs so the comic doesn't really go anywhere.. and gets to stay in their collection or they sell it off to someone else... and your out your 20$ or 50$ 

The very first raffle I entered on Instagram I won a CGC 3.5 ASM 50. $10 for a ~$250 comic ain't too shabby. I think you just need to make sure it's a reputable account.

Granted I've entered a couple more since with no luck. I think I used up all my luck at the start. 

3 minutes ago, Kon_Jelly said:

The very first raffle I entered on Instagram I won a CGC 3.5 ASM 50. $10 for a ~$250 comic ain't too shabby. I think you just need to make sure it's a reputable account.

Granted I've entered a couple more since with no luck. I think I used up all my luck at the start. 

well they smaller priced books I would suspect they hand out as it brings some legitimacy to them that random people who have no association or location near them win a book.. and the big value books are usually shipping within their circle of friends a few people were called out on this but I mean their friends "did" participate in the raffle.. 

5 hours ago, justafan said:

I think most people expect drek. It can be a pain to pack up stuff and return it. I have to drag a box to the post office, wait on line, etc. The one guy who returned a smaller lot (I think OPG of $100) was basically hoping to pay $30 for books that could be easily flipped on ebay for $100 and decided he didn't want to put the work into it. I basically sold the returned lot again and the next guy was very happy with what he got. My high value ($300-$1000 in OPG) lots at the time (this was 6-8 years ago) usually had a Marvel Special Edition 15 in nice shape (I had tons of those), a Rom 1 in high grade (had tons of those), a Spotlight 28 (had tons of those), a Sandman 1 (BA, had tons of those), Omac 1 (had tons of those), Shadow 1 (tons of those), Shazam 1 (had tons of those) as well as an assortment of high grade BA and CA spideys .... books that had solid OPG values, but were not always good ebay sellers (then). And then a lot of stuff that was $7-15 in OPG but were tough sells on ebay. Of course, since then many of those books have popped. Oh well. I need the $ to pay the mortgage. My job did not give a raise for 6 years.

Edited by the blob