• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Collecting While in College

18 posts in this topic

I am currently in college and therefore incredibly poor.   I am working on completing runs (Iron Man vol 1, Capt. America vol 1), but early issues are out of reach.  I can only afford filler books unless I save up for a few months at which time I could possibly buy one or two of the earlier books. I was wondering what your thoughts are on what I should do.  Should I only buy a few books with more value or should I continue bulking my collection by buying cheaper books?

22 hours ago, poorcollector said:

I am currently in college and therefore incredibly poor.   I am working on completing runs (Iron Man vol 1, Capt. America vol 1), but early issues are out of reach.  I can only afford filler books unless I save up for a few months at which time I could possibly buy one or two of the earlier books. I was wondering what your thoughts are on what I should do.  Should I only buy a few books with more value or should I continue bulking my collection by buying cheaper books?

I was faced with the same dilemma when I was in Univeristy. You will find that for a period of time, the buying slows. I took joy in finding deals when I could but I would say these years were my slowest in terms of how much I collected. That being said, I focused on the affordable stuff. Filling in my ASM run from #100-400 was my goal and I stuck to that, focusing on the cheap stuff. Then, once I graduated and started working, I focused on saving up for a bigger book. It all depends on what you really want. If you feel you can save up for a big key, go for it but I found I was always scared to do that because what if I needed money for something? At least the cheaper stuff (which for me at the time 10 years ago was only $2-5) wouldn't kill me.

Hope this helps! Also, if you need any later Iron Man or Cap stuff, let me know I may have some to sell and I sell cheap :)

I would advise to save up for the bigger stuff first, and, for a few reasons:

• They may get more expensive and out-of-reach as time goes on.
  • They are more 'hard to find' as time goes on.
  • They can help you pool a 'larger budget', which - after you acquire all the big stuff, will open opportunities to buy more 'smaller' books.

My 2c. It's not a universal suggestion, though. There are plenty of different collecting strategies.

13 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

• They can help you pool a 'larger budget', which - after you acquire all the big stuff, will open opportunities to buy more 'smaller' books.

My 2c. It's not a universal suggestion, though. There are plenty of different collecting strategies.

I think there's value to learning to save, especially when (I assume) young.  Having larger (but not epically large) goals and reaching them is great in many ways.  Additionally, it can allow you to have money in case of emergency or if something else you really want comes along.

46 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

I followed this path mostly.. I focused on a few big books. I find that the bigger books go up in value and the one I held off on is now kind of near out of reach for me when I could of had it for cheaper, but didn't pull the trigger. Its also worth noting that if you end up needing emergency money the big books are much easier to sell than the filler books unless your selling filler for super dirt cheap. I tried to balance the both I would pick up a few filler if the prices were really good. 

Unless you live alone I would not recommend seriously collecting anything of value while you are a poor college student.

I loved college.  But... One of my roommates threw a beer bottle, bounced it off the trash can rim and ricocheted it into the side of the fish tank, which shattered and dumped 50 gallons of water and fish on the floor.  

We had items stolen during a party attended by friends of friends.  Also we were burglarized, like many people in the high crime college rental neighborhoods. 

One roommate watched the house while the rest travelled for the summer.  He filled the empty rooms with deadbeats and a cat that moved its bowels all over the house.

All of these were normal events in that environment.

College is a time to learn, grow, make friends and future business contacts, and have fun.  Put the comics on hold and enjoy school.

Edited by Turnando

15 hours ago, Turnando said:

Unless you live alone I would not recommend seriously collecting anything of value while you are a poor college student.

I loved college.  But... One of my roommates threw a beer bottle, bounced it off the trash can rim and ricocheted it into the side of the fish tank, which shattered and dumped 50 gallons of water and fish on the floor.  

We had items stolen during a party attended by friends of friends.  Also we were burglarized, like many people in the high crime college rental neighborhoods. 

One roommate watched the house while the rest travelled for the summer.  He filled the empty rooms with deadbeats and a cat that moved its bowels all over the house.

All of these were normal events in that environment.

College is a time to learn, grow, make friends and future business contacts, and have fun.  Put the comics on hold and enjoy school.

you sound like you had a interesting college life.. 

you can still collect as a college student I did a bit. Wasn't a lot but had a few books. just stored them in my locked room... plus they weren't things to steal back then I guess.. they were more looking to grab beer and alcohol.. 

On 11/30/2019 at 7:21 AM, PetuniaGrimm said:

I went low grade the first time around with my FF run, I then had to go back and upgrade 95% of them later because I didn't like how they looked.  Make sure you are buying books that you know you can be happy with forever.

Great point.  I have already come across this issue with some early books I am just glad I caught myself before I went and bought some big boy books and realized I messed up.  Thanks for reminding me though always good to hear that I am thinking rationally. haha

8 hours ago, poorcollector said:

Great point.  I have already come across this issue with some early books I am just glad I caught myself before I went and bought some big boy books and realized I messed up.  Thanks for reminding me though always good to hear that I am thinking rationally. haha

that advice is not always the best example all the time. Some people buy a lower grade and try to sell the book for a bit of profit later on to help fund a bigger purchase. its much easier to sell a book your not 100% happy with then a prized possession. 

5 minutes ago, Krismusic said:

that advice is not always the best example all the time. Some people buy a lower grade and try to sell the book for a bit of profit later on to help fund a bigger purchase. its much easier to sell a book your not 100% happy with then a prized possession. 

If it doesn't sell...? You're stuck with something that you don't want...

13 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

If it doesn't sell...? You're stuck with something that you don't want...

well I wouldn't buy drek you dont want but I would buy something you ok or happy with and if a upgrade comes along then sell the lower grade one. 

But what doesn't sell now a days with this type of market I see people on FB picking up filler issues for like 30$ a book (shrug)

2 minutes ago, Krismusic said:

well I wouldn't buy drek you dont want but I would buy something you ok or happy with and if a upgrade comes along then sell the lower grade one. 

But what doesn't sell now a days with this type of market I see people on FB picking up filler issues for like 30$ a book (shrug)

Imagine waking up one day and not wanting to own comic books anymore.

Just imagine it.

6 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Imagine waking up one day and not wanting to own comic books anymore.

Just imagine it.

.. that's the day I know the world will end lol... what kind of monster will wake up and not want comic books anymore.. oh the humanity... 

giphy.gif

5 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

I told you to imagine it - not tell me your reaction to that imagination. :pullhair:

oh that's my reaction to even thinking of trying to think of imagining it lol 

Check the market place on the forum. There are incredibly valuable books for sale by ppl who want to pass it fwd. I have been unbelievably lucky in the black Friday and cyber Monday sales. Just keep looking for ways to flip yourself into a more advantageous book or keep a lookout. For example, I just got a pristine copy of ASM 252 for 70. Key issue, didn't break the bank, loads of value to move on and get what I fancy on another go around.