• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCS Booksgiving
1 1

20 posts in this topic

23 minutes ago, mycomicshop said:

I can guarantee you no prices were raised in advance of the sale so that we could then discount from a higher starting point. We don't do that and never have. It's also why our sale discounts are relatively modest compared to some places: the discounts in our weekly codeword sales are 10% off on newer books and 5% off on older, more expensive books. This Booksgiving sale is the first time I can recall we've done more than that, double the usual discount: 20% on newer books and 10% off older and more expensive books. We aim to price things reasonably to begin with rather than intentionally overpricing things so we can offer them at larger discounts.

Our prices for any given issue can rise or fall at any time in the course of our regular operations, but absolutely nothing was intentionally raised prior to being put on sale.

Never ever would think you would do that!  No code words or other shenanigans either!!  Been a frequent flyer both on ebay and website and ecstatic every single purchase!   Most of my Strange Adventures collection from y'all.

Edited by kav

Ok, fine, maybe the discount had me looking at some slightly more expensive ones than I had looked at a month ago or some new inventory was added at higher prices? I do see a few odd prices, like a 3.0 copy being much higher than a 3.5 copy, etc. I am guessing the 3.0 is newer inventory and you don't reprice stuff already in the system? I had a basket loaded, but it got deleted.

9 hours ago, mycomicshop said:

...the discounts in our weekly codeword sales are 10% off on newer books and 5% off on older, more expensive books.

There is a weekly codeword that gives buyers a 5% discount? You don't want to know how long I have been buying comics off MCS and never knew that... :tonofbricks:

1 hour ago, the blob said:

Ok, fine, maybe the discount had me looking at some slightly more expensive ones than I had looked at a month ago or some new inventory was added at higher prices? I do see a few odd prices, like a 3.0 copy being much higher than a 3.5 copy, etc. I am guessing the 3.0 is newer inventory and you don't reprice stuff already in the system? I had a basket loaded, but it got deleted.

Some of our inventory is priced to our internal reference prices: like for a particular issue this is what the prices would be in 9.2, in 9.0, in 8.5, etc. If some time later that set of reference prices changes, everything managed by that system would see their prices move to the new prices at the same time. With that type of pricing, item prices should usually be "in order" according to grade, no instances of a higher grade priced lower than something in a lower grade.

Other inventory is priced individually by somebody making a decision about that one specific item at the time it's ready to be offered, and the price locked at that decision until we review it some time down the road if it hasn't sold. With that type of activity, it is possible for there to be occasional examples of prices appearing out of order because different decisions were made at different times.

There's also some items that might see their prices lowered because they've been in stock a long time at the original price and haven't sold, so we lower the price even though that might make the item cheaper than a lower grade copy.

And then there's consignments where consignors set their prices.

1 hour ago, Black_Adam said:

There is a weekly codeword that gives buyers a 5% discount? You don't want to know how long I have been buying comics off MCS and never knew that... :tonofbricks:

There's a link to sign up on the mailing list on lower right corner of the page, and also linked to from the "On Sale" tab in our navigation bar at the top of the page (currently not visible because it's been changed to "Booksgiving Sale" button). You can also get the weekly codewords from our Facebook page if you prefer. Codeword sales don't cover our entire inventory like the Booksgiving sale does. Each week's codeword will apply to certain subsets of our inventory, like a particular publisher or range of the alphabet.

Edited by mycomicshop

6 hours ago, mycomicshop said:

Some of our inventory is priced to our internal reference prices: like for a particular issue this is what the prices would be in 9.2, in 9.0, in 8.5, etc. If some time later that set of reference prices changes, everything managed by that system would see their prices move to the new prices at the same time. With that type of pricing, item prices should usually be "in order" according to grade, no instances of a higher grade priced lower than something in a lower grade.

Other inventory is priced individually by somebody making a decision about that one specific item at the time it's ready to be offered, and the price locked at that decision until we review it some time down the road if it hasn't sold. With that type of activity, it is possible for there to be occasional examples of prices appearing out of order because different decisions were made at different times.

There's also some items that might see their prices lowered because they've been in stock a long time at the original price and haven't sold, so we lower the price even though that might make the item cheaper than a lower grade copy.

And then there's consignments where consignors set their prices.

These were not consignment books. I have a mild concern that paying the lower price will get me the lower grade book and the prices were just accidentally switched. I'm not going to name issues because I haven't pulled the trigger on the basket I have put together.

2 hours ago, the blob said:

I have a mild concern that paying the lower price will get me the lower grade book and the prices were just accidentally switched.

You’ll receive the correct item. Pricing/inventory recording doesn’t work that way where what you’re concerned about could happen. 

Our fighting forces 71... You have a 3.0 at $59 and a 3.5 at $23. I'd probably buy that 3.5 but already have a copy. I saw others. You have a bazillion comics, nothing can be perfect. Humans and such.

On 11/23/2019 at 6:13 PM, the blob said:

Our fighting forces 71... You have a 3.0 at $59 and a 3.5 at $23. I'd probably buy that 3.5 but already have a copy. I saw others. You have a bazillion comics, nothing can be perfect. Humans and such.

Yes, the higher priced 3.0 was priced in April and was locked to a specific price. Our other inventory of that issue was priced according to our internal pricing for that issue, where item prices can float up or down whenever the issue pricing changes. I cleared the 3.0 so it's now priced in line with other copies of that issue.

On ‎11‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 5:11 PM, mycomicshop said:

You’ll receive the correct item. Pricing/inventory recording doesn’t work that way where what you’re concerned about could happen. 

While you're here, as ebay's foremost comic book vendor, who better to ask?

Currently, about 75% of Silver and Bronze age GP charts I pull up are trending with red, down-arrows. Is it just the info for particular books I choose to review market data on, key issues like X-Men 101 and such, or is this evident in sales across the board; a correction or price recession in progress?

I posted most of what I bought from this sale over in the What's New in Silver Age. This was just like Christmas. I wound up with 20 comics and 8 tpbs free. Could have picked up a few more but that was fine with me.

Now i"m going to look at that OFF 77 talked about above!