• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Booth's 2020

14 posts in this topic

32 minutes ago, D Stuart said:

Planet Comicon Kansas City is a perfect example of a show that CGC should religiously attend. 50k+ attendees year after year. They have not been to a show in KC in years.  I don't think they have been to a show in Missouri (either KC or STL) for 3-4 years. @SSkufan, @mysterio: Am I wrong? 

Yeah - I just don't get it having been to some of the other cons they are going to and knowing that Planet has a bigger attendance. 

4 hours ago, D Stuart said:

Planet Comicon Kansas City is a perfect example of a show that CGC should religiously attend. 50k+ attendees year after year. They have not been to a show in KC in years.  I don't think they have been to a show in Missouri (either KC or STL) for 3-4 years. @SSkufan, @mysterio: Am I wrong? 

Don’t think so. I think CGC had a booth the first time I went to Planet, which I believe was 2016. They haven’t been back since. 

I wonder how much of CGC NOT going to KC/STL ( I live in STL) is there isnt a lot of big  name creators / artists For SS. C2E2 is who brings in big names and has a way bigger turn out. 
 I've been to Planet 3-4 times and it is not even close in the Creators/artists Talent pool. 

Im also basing my opinion on SS. I know people submit NON SS at C2E2 but I would think most of it is SS books.

I go to C2E2 every year and might go to Planet every other year. I went to planet last year and was not impressed with any of the artist/creators. But I did have a good time buying from the dealers. Also some of the people that I speak to in the Midwest don’t like getting the books graded which again makes me think CGC Might understand that. Not to mention there are facilitators at Planet, to do SS and take submissions. I don’t blame CGC for not going/doing on site grading at all there.

Edited by Raze

I don’t think on-site grading will ever happen, but facilitators don’t cut it. Nothing against the facilitators themselves, but another layer of complication, time and fees is ridiculous. C2E2 is no doubt a great SS show and is significantly bigger than Planet, but I can’t understand how they skip over KC year after year to do smaller shows in markets that they already serve on an annual basis. 

16 hours ago, D Stuart said:

I don’t think on-site grading will ever happen, but facilitators don’t cut it. Nothing against the facilitators themselves, but another layer of complication, time and fees is ridiculous. C2E2 is no doubt a great SS show and is significantly bigger than Planet, but I can’t understand how they skip over KC year after year to do smaller shows in markets that they already serve on an annual basis. 

I think sometimes its hard to know what's going on with regards to which shows they go to, and it doesn't really make sense for CGC to make their decision making process public, as they don't want to risk offending people in the industry, customers, or potential customers.

But here's some very reasonable guesses:

1.  One or more employees (or the company as a whole) had some bad experiences with the people who run one or more of the conventions in the area you're talking about.

2.  After a few conventions in a given area (sample size), the math just doesn't line up consistently in terms of revenue goals for a convention vs the cost.

3.  Scheduling issues as they relate to other conventions.

4.  Other weird stuff, like a decent certain percentage of people and dealers who submit in the geographical regions you're talking about ALSO submit at other somewhat nearby major cons, LIKE Chicago, or New Orleans, or Atlanta, Texas (is that close?), North Carolina (?), or whatever else is in driving distance.  **My apologies if there is some bad geography here, but you get my point.

5.  Weird or difficult tax stuff w/ Missouri?

8 minutes ago, baldwiw said:

they should do a rent for day CGC Facilitators, where you pay for a CGC person for a day or for a whole comic con lol. But thanks for the listed

You could absolutely rent a CGC facilitator for a day, no question.  I have no doubt it would be extremely easy to find one for literally any convention you wanted to go to. There are a bunch of CGC SS facilitators in the Signature Room subforum. With some advance notice, you could probably have your pick.  The only issue would be meeting a submission minimum (is that a thing?  I feel like its a thing.). 

16 hours ago, D Stuart said:

If not for the witnesses why go to the CGC booth at all when you can just as easily ship them unsigned books to be graded? Or are you concerned with shipping/mailing them in?

56 minutes ago, Avi said:
17 hours ago, D Stuart said:

If not for the witnesses why go to the CGC booth at all when you can just as easily ship them unsigned books to be graded? Or are you concerned with shipping/mailing them in?

There's def some advantages (or perceived advantages) to submitting in person.

1. No shipping there - saves on time (and materials) spent packing, shipping fees, INSURANCE FEES, risk of loss or damage from extra handling.

2.  Ability to pay in cash.

3.  For 1st time submitters or people unsure of CGC, it's nice to have someone help you fill out your form in person and answer your questions, and physically hand your valuable beloved comics to a real person instead of mailing to a faceless corporation.

On 11/26/2019 at 12:54 PM, Avi said:

My primary reasoning for wanting to sub in person is to save the expense/liability of the additional shipping leg of the books. It's not a ton of money, but when I submit, I typically submit books for pressing and grading, so every little bit helps. 

Shipping to CGC typically costs the same as grading fees on a modern. If I sub in person that’s a book I get graded essentially for free. 

One other note about facilitators that I don’t think anyone has raised yet, but the service can be quite variable. I’ve worked with some very good facilitators, and some very bad ones. If you get SS directly through CGC’s booth you’re in control of most of that process. It makes a big difference. Not to mention it saves any facilitator fees.