• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cal Comic Con Comic Swap / Costa Mesa, CA Jan 25, 2020 [EVENT PICS INSIDE]
3 3

56 posts in this topic

For the second year in a row, we'll be hosting the official Cal Comic Con Comic Swap on Saturday, January 25, 2020 from 1:00-4:00pm - the day before the main event on Sunday. Last year we held it in a brewery, but this year with the con moving to a bigger and better venue at the Westin South Coast Plaza Hotel in Costa Mesa, we'll be hosting the comic swap in the same hotel, so all 3 of the weekend's official events will be in one place. 

What is the Comic Swap?

The event is open to anyone to attend with $10 paid admission. You can bring comics to sell or trade, and collectors and dealers will also be setting up tables to sell & trade as well. None of the people setting up tables will be setting up at the show on Sunday, so it will be completely different books than Sunday. It's a chance for collectors to set up and sell & trade with each other, and last year many dealers were buying up books as well. Over 75 collectors came last year, nearly everyone with books to sell & trade. There were some amazing books in the room and some big deals went down. And yes, even though we're not hosting in a brewery this year, we will still be buying beers.

If you only want to attend but don't need table space, you can pre-pay admission on the Cal Comic Con website and bundle it with the Saturday evening Artist Reception and Sunday main event.

How do I reserve a table?

We are only offering 3' half-table spaces and there are only 30 total spaces available. More than half are already accounted for from either dealers that are not setting up on Sunday or from people who attended last year. We are taking an interest list NOW, so if you'd like a table, please send me a PM ASAP and I'll add you to the interest list. I'll go down the list in the order that I receive them and follow up with you to confirm and pay the $30 table fee. There will not be enough table spaces for everyone who wants one, so if you don't get one, you can of course still attend and bring comics to sell & trade, you just won't have table space. Again, if you want a space, there are only a few available, so please send me a PM ASAP and I'll add you to the interest list and I'll reach out to everyone in order until all spaces are taken, which shouldn't last long. 

Cal Comic Con Event Thread

This event thread is only for the Cal Comic Con Comic Swap. If you have questions about the Artist Reception on Saturday evening or the main event on Sunday, please go to the official event thread here: https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/455235-california-comic-convention-2020-calcomiccon/

Below are some photos from last year:

InstaSave (7).jpg

InstaSave (6).jpg

InstaSave (5).jpg

InstaSave (4).jpg

InstaSave (3).jpg

InstaSave (2).jpg

InstaSave (1).jpg

InstaSave.jpg

Edited by shortboxed

21 hours ago, TerrysComics said:

Gene forgot to mention you can do CGC drop-offs for 1/2 the price of the main show on admission. 

Drop offs have to have all the paperwork filled out on-line in advance for Saturday drop off.

Sunday will be as always and include on site - reception and signature witnessing.

Great point Terry - avoid the long CGC lines on Sunday by dropping off at the swap on Saturday :bigsmile:

This is an event that allows Dealers and collectors to sell some of the comics to help get a little walking around money. 

it is also a way to get more dealers participating with CalComicCon 2020 even though all tables in the main Sunday show are sold.

several people ask me how many boxes you can fit on 1/2 a three foot table.

here is the best guess:

You can get 4 long boxes on it, possible 8 short boxes but not 8 mag boxes.( 6 mags but two are sideways)

The space you get is 36" wide by 30" deep.

It is now Comic Swap not preview night as it is on Saturday afternoon from 1-4pm,  No display board is provided, you can use the CalComicCon web-site to pay.

you must contact Gene first so we can keep track of the number of tables left. see 1st posting on how to do that.

Only 3 half-table spaces left!

The room for the event is booked and we won't be able to add any more tables. If you don't get a table space, you can obviously still attend to buy/sell/trade, you just won't have a table space. Plenty of people just brought books in their backpacks last year to show around. However, if you want a space, shoot me a DM ASAP to lock it up.

-Gene

48 minutes ago, Aarrow108 said:

Looking forward to participating in this and meeting some new people. At this point, I'm having a hard time deciding what to bring!

Also: BEER???? :tink:

If the hotel cooperates there will be a good selection of Micro Brews including a English Mild Cask ale from Yorkshire Square in Torrance CA   T.

yorkshire.jpg.746364e4b445dace56389d8637a8578b.jpg

Edited by TerrysComics

4 hours ago, TerrysComics said:

If the hotel cooperates there will be a good selection of Micro Brews including a English Mild Cask ale from Yorkshire Square in Torrance CA   T.

yorkshire.jpg.746364e4b445dace56389d8637a8578b.jpg

I've had the pleasure of trying a few from Yorkshire Square (Hurly Burly and the Drift)! Really hoping everything works out with the hotel so that this comes to fruition. Either way, I'll be there. Cheers!

Someone who looked at the show site had these questions:

Are the pre-show comic swap and artist reception open to all? 

Is the swap a buying opportunity and is the reception appropriate for getting autographs?

Comic Swap is $10 admission and open to all.  https://www.calcomiccon.com/Customers.aspx

Artist reception is open to all but there is a limit to how many I can sell.  https://www.calcomiccon.com/Customers.aspx

Swap is a buying opportunity for dealers that are not at the main show.

Swap is a way for people to drop off comics with CGC at 1/2 the admission price of the main Sunday show.  https://www.cgccomics.com/

Artist Reception is a chance to meet and hang out with Artist other Collectors and Dealers.

As of now I was not expecting them to be signing anything but that may change.

Best regards,

Terry O’Neill

Promoter - CalComicCon

Only 2 table spots left! Thanks to everyone who has locked up table space or bought a ticket to attend. Gonna be a great event :D 

The room for the event is booked and we won't be able to add any more tables. If you don't get a table space, you can obviously still attend to buy/sell/trade, you just won't have a table space. Plenty of people just brought books in their backpacks last year to show around. However, if you want a space, shoot me a DM ASAP to lock it up.

-Gene

On 1/2/2020 at 3:29 AM, jmg3637 said:

Any spots left? This might be a good way to offer up my mid to high level books

All table spots are sold out! However, you don't need a table to sell/trade - all comic swap attendees are encouraged to bring books to sell or trade with others, you just won't have table space. Last year, the majority of attendees simply brought one shortbox or a backpack full of books. 

There may be cancellations, though, so if you want to be added to the wait list just shoot me a DM and I'll add you to the queue.

Looking forward to meeting everyone and having an awesome comic swap!

-Gene

Edited by shortboxed

Assuming everything goes according to plan with shipping, I'll have some fresh slabs at the swap :bigsmile:

Avengers 195 - 9.8 W
Avengers 196 - 9.6 W
 Daredevil 168 - 9.8 W
 DC Comics Presents 26 - 9.6 W
Marvel Spotlight 28 - 9.4 W
Marvel Spotlight 32  - 9.2 W
Moon Knight 1 - 9.6 W
Moon Knight 25 - 9.4 W
Savage She-Hulk - 9.4 W
New Teen Titans 2 - 9.8 W
X-Men 129 - 9.6 W
Werewolf By Night 33 - 7.5 OW/W

Let's make some deals!

Edited by Aarrow108

23 minutes ago, aardvark88 said:

How is the January weather down there in CA?

PBrufH1.jpg

Costa Mesa, CA 10 Day Weather

12:03 pm PST

Print

Day

Description

High / Low

Precip

Wind

Humidity

Today

JAN 15

Partly Cloudy

64°49°

0%

WSW 7 mph

60%

Thu

JAN 16

Partly Cloudy

63°51°

20%

SSE 12 mph

67%

Fri

JAN 17

Mostly Sunny

65°48°

10%

SSW 8 mph

55%

Sat

JAN 18

Partly Cloudy

70°52°

0%

NW 7 mph

43%

Sun

JAN 19

Cloudy

73°56°

0%

SE 4 mph

40%

Mon

JAN 20

Cloudy

70°53°

10%

SSE 6 mph

50%

Tue

JAN 21

Partly Cloudy

68°53°

10%

SSW 9 mph

61%

Wed

JAN 22

Mostly Sunny

69°53°

10%

SSW 9 mph

60%

Thu

JAN 23

Sunny

73°55°

0%

S 8 mph

48%

Fri

JAN 24

Partly Cloudy

72°53°

0%

SSE 9 mph

41%

Sat

JAN 25

Partly Cloudy

71°52°

10%

S 9 mph

51%

UV Index

Sunrise

Sunset

Moonrise

Moonset

4 of 10

6:52 am

5:15 pm

7:37 am

6:10 pm

Partly cloudy. High 71F. Winds S at 5 to 10 mph.

Sat Night

JAN 25

Partly Cloudy

--52°

20%

E 3 mph

70%

UV Index

Sunrise

Sunset

Moonrise

Moonset

0 of 10

6:52 am

5:15 pm

7:37 am

6:10 pm

Partly cloudy. Low 52F. Winds light and variable.

Sun

JAN 26

Partly Cloudy

68°51°

20%

SSW 10 mph

54%

Mon

JAN 27

Partly Cloudy

67°51°

20%

S 9 mph

56%

I hope that helps!

A question was asked about this event:

Hi Terry,

I was wondering about the Comic-Swap. Will you be able to buy tickets at the door? Also will dealers be selling comics at this event? 

Please let me know and have a great day.

Answer:

We are selling entry at the door for $10,

There are currently 32 collectors/dealers selling at this event.

These are completely different people from the dealers at the Sunday show.

And CGC will take Drop-offs when the paperwork has been filled out in advance on-line.

Best regards,

Terry O’Neill

Promoter - CalComicCon

I'm splitting a table on Saturday and am planning on bringing the following books.  Feel free to DM me if you'd like to discuss any beforehand:

All-Select #1 CGC 3.5 cr/ow 

Amazing Fantasy #15 CGC 4.5 ow/w 

Amazing Spider-Man #15 CGC 7.0 ow/w 

Amazing Spider-Man #37 CGC 9.6 ow/w 

Doom Patrol #86 CGC 9.2 cr/ow 

Fantastic Four #4 CGC 7.5 ow

Fantastic Four #48 CGC 9.4 w 

Fantastic Four #48 CGC 7.5 ow/w 

Fantastic Four #49 CGC 8.5 ow/w 

Fantastic Four #52 CGC 8.5 w 

Marvel Spotlight #5 CGC 8.5 ow

Military Comics #1 CGC 3.5 cr/ow