• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage starts charging credit card fee
1 1

48 posts in this topic

Don't know if this is the place for this or not, but anyway....

Went to pay my latest invoice at Heritage Auctions, and discovered they are now charging a 2.5% credit card processing fee. Representative I talked to said they sent out a notice to customers and that it was on the invoice mailed to me, but I did not receive a notice and it's not on this invoice.

Thought folks would like to know. Seems like with that hefty 20% buyers premium they could cover what I consider a cost of doing business, but I guess not.

3 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Here on Long Island we have started seeing some restaurants charge a 3% increase to the bill if paying by Credit Card.

To me, its amateur hour. Charge more for the food.  Raise the price of coffee by a quarter.  Do not insult your customer base by charging more for using a credit card. 

I'm sure their doing both :ohnoez: 

Culture can be changed... many gas stations by me were charging more for CC than if you paid by cash.  People started staying away from those...

now more gas stations are back to “same price for cash or credit.”

12 minutes ago, Iceman399 said:

I didn't think you were allowed to charge a surcharge on CC.

http://www.ncsl.org/research/financial-services-and-commerce/credit-or-debit-card-surcharges-statutes.aspx (which ironically say both NY and Texas have laws against it).

I thought the same but found this from a year ago.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/watchdog/2018/11/21/texas-law-banning-surcharges-for-credit-card-payments-was-overturned-now-youll-pay-more/

13 minutes ago, Iceman399 said:

I didn't think you were allowed to charge a surcharge on CC.

http://www.ncsl.org/research/financial-services-and-commerce/credit-or-debit-card-surcharges-statutes.aspx (which ironically say both NY and Texas have laws against it).

I think that's why it didn't last long, although the LCS wasn't a surcharge, they just refused to sell lower than $10 on a cc

12 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

Culture can be changed... many gas stations by me were charging more for CC than if you paid by cash.  People started staying away from those...

now more gas stations are back to “same price for cash or credit.”

Well said. Had the same experience with a gas station. People stopped getting gas there until the station charged the "same price for cash or credit." Very simple way to deal with this is stop doing business with an entity you believe is overcharging you. This should be especially true with collectibles. Unlike real needs (food, shelter, clothing, etc.) we are talking about "apparent needs" when it comes to collectibles. 

1 hour ago, AJD said:

Ah, the US, where checks (and imperial measures) are still things. Come to the 21st century guys - the last chequebook I had was in 1999 and I've forgotten what a gallon is!

Paying Heritage by check doesn't come with the surcharge.  :baiting:

11 minutes ago, namisgr said:

Paying Heritage by check doesn't come with the surcharge.  :baiting:

Sure as hell does if you aren't with a US bank. The net result will be fewer international dollars coming in.

3 hours ago, AJD said:

Ah, the US, where checks (and imperial measures) are still things. Come to the 21st century guys - the last chequebook I had was in 1999 and I've forgotten what a gallon is!

From a purely transaction # volume, Switzerland does 70% of their transactions with cash, not credit.  From a CHF perspective, it's about 55% electronic form.  But that's because most higher dollar transactions are done through autopay or electronic payments.  You almost never see someone use a card at a store. 

17 hours ago, Jaylam said:

What I'd like to know is do the credit card companies really charge a business 3% for each transaction or are we all being gouged?

I know in Canada working with some accountants.. you have to pay a fee on the visa terminal for us it was like 1% or 2% can't remember but yeah there is a fee using your credit card and a different fee for the debit card. So I have seen this before.. its just the cost of doing business though.. this is why some Chinese restaurants give a discount on the food if you pay with cash as they dont have to pay the terminal fee and to encourage cash sales on pick up or ive seen it where they charge a terminal fee if its under a certain amount to cover the charges they would incur I guess.. 

also recently found this out as was trying to do a large in person purchase and use paypal they charge you a percentage even if your sending money to a friend I think it was 3%