• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comiclink Question: Buying a Comic on the Exchange After a Seller Has Countered...

26 posts in this topic

When it comes to CLink, I usually do most of my buying through auction.  However there was a book on my bucket list that suddenly appeared on the Exchange. 

• The buyer was asking $1300
  • I offered $650
  • That was denied. 
  • I offered $725.
  • The buyer countered at $900 at 6:PM that day.  I noticed the email at work in the middle of the next day. 
  • Next thing I know, my $725 offer was accepted even though the seller had made a counteroffer of $900.

Is this normal?  I thought if the seller counters that they have rejected the offer price.  During the interim I picked up something else, somewhere else.  I am definitely taking the CLink book but something seems strange about this.  

EDIT: I was under the impression that once a seller counters with a new price that the $725 is a dead deal.  So therefore he cannot go back and reconsider the $725 price after his counter of $900 was made. 

Edited by Buzzetta

Just now, silversufer27 said:

Maybe he didn’t care about it and wanted to get rid of it fast for a decent price

Oh no, let me edit my original post.  I was under the impression that once a seller counters with a new price that the $725 is a dead deal.  So therefore he cannot go back and reconsider after his counter. 

9 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Oh no, let me edit my original post.  I was under the impression that once a seller counters with a new price that the $725 is a dead deal.  So therefore he cannot go back and reconsider after his counter. 

It's been a few years since I had a similar case, but I think he could still accept. Might be totally off though. If he started that high and accepted an offer so far under his ask, he was probably leveraging the minimum bid of 50% to hit in his ballpark.

16 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

I would be under that impression of like I reject your 725 but you can have it for 900.. I would be interested in hearing more about how this worked.. is ebay like this?

1 hour ago, Krismusic said:

I would be under that impression of like I reject your 725 but you can have it for 900.. I would be interested in hearing more about how this worked.. is ebay like this?

I truly thought that once he had countered my $725 offer that it was declined and that when he offered $900 that it was on me to do the deal or not.

Once he had offered $900 I started shopping around for another copy of the book.   Thankfully I did not find it because I would have been paying for two copies I guess. 

Still, kind of a weird rule. 

13 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

I truly thought that once he had countered my $725 offer that it was declined and that when he offered $900 that it was on me to do the deal or not.

Once he had offered $900 I started shopping around for another copy of the book.   Thankfully I did not find it because I would have been paying for two copies I guess. 

yeah kind of weird good to know for the future.. incase you get a counter offer and your not interested best to decline before looking else where so you can't get your previous offer accepted.

18 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

When it comes to CLink, I usually do most of my buying through auction.  However there was a book on my bucket list that suddenly appeared on the Exchange. 

• I offered $650
  • That was denied. 
  • I offered $725.
  • The buyer countered at $900 at 6:PM that day.  I noticed the email at work in the middle of the next day. 
  • Next thing I know, my $725 offer was accepted even though the seller had made a counteroffer of $900.

Is this normal?  I thought if the seller counters that they have rejected the offer price.  During the interim I picked up something else, somewhere else.  I am definitely taking the CLink book but something seems strange about this.  

EDIT: I was under the impression that once a seller counters with a new price that the $725 is a dead deal.  So therefore he cannot go back and reconsider the $725 price after his counter of $900 was made. 

That email saved you $175 the way I look at it. Congrats...after being set to ignore, the seller probably mulled it over and was like "This is the best I'm gonna get"

Edited by Hollywood1892

1 hour ago, Buzzetta said:

Let's say that when he countered $900 & you went looking for another copy, that you found one & bought it. Later, when your $725 offer was accepted, would you be obligated to buy it?

26 minutes ago, Gaard said:

Let's say that when he countered $900 & you went looking for another copy, that you found one & bought it. Later, when your $725 offer was accepted, would you be obligated to buy it?

That’s a real question and potential problem isn’t it? 

32 minutes ago, Gaard said:

guessing Buzz would have had to call in and talk to someone about this.. but its good to note as it could become a problem with the understanding that a counter offer doesn't nullify the original offer and that the original offer is still valid. Seems kind of dumb to me, as this situation happens. 

I for one have done this I send a offer and have received a counter didn't like it so shopped around thankfully I haven't had this situation happen and will now decline the counter offer if I find something better and I am about to purchase somewhere else. 

oh wait what if I decline the counter offer, would they still be able to accept my original offer? damn this seems to be a problem.. (shrug)

That's funny.  Once an offer has already been rejected by the seller, that offer should already be null and void and seller cannot go back to accept it later down the line. I think the buyer should also have the power to accept or reject that 2nd offer.

On ‎11‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 5:08 PM, Buzzetta said:

Your offer of $725 is still there even if the seller counters.

There are a couple of options of what you can do after the counter, but you can go in and reject the counter and cancel your $725 bid.

Just now, Timmay said:

Your offer of $725 is still there even if the seller counters.

There are a couple of options of what you can do after the counter, but you can go in and reject the counter and cancel your $725 bid.

I didn't know this at all and am glad that I did not buy the second book.

Not going to say what the book is yet... I had a choice between a higher grade book with a small amount of color touch or a lower grade book in a blue label that I saw in the forum and on on eBay.   I was contemplating the lower grade 4.0 blue label book here on the boards but am satisfied with the purple label 6.0. 

I am not going to lie.  I would have been seriously annoyed to have taken the blue label and then after the fact find out that I was also buying the 6.0 purple. 

@Buzzetta

From the counter email...

If you do not respond to the counteroffer, your current bid will remain active for 5 days from the date and time of your initial bid. During this period, the seller can still accept or decline your bid. Thank you for using ComicLink! More vintage comic books are listed every day, so for the best deals, bookmark the website and check back frequently! And, if you like our service, tell a friend - the more people know about ComicLink, the more great items there will be to choose from! : )

On 11/20/2019 at 5:06 PM, Buzzetta said:

• I offered $650
  • That was denied. 
  • I offered $725.

Should have shopped at a Brick and Mortar store.  Wouldn''t have to deal with these online problems.