• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ongoing discussions about the chat forum software
3 3

154 posts in this topic

It's been a few years now since the change and I'm wondering how people who were here before feel about it if you still have any ongoing problems.

My most common problems / complaints have not changed.

1) when I get a PM notification and click on it, my PM opens to the 1st page of the PM string and not the newest message. Highly irritating and it really is unacceptable. Is there any sort of solution for this that I've missed?

2) when I am doing searches I often get a time out and an error and have to retry. I would say this happens at least once every 5-10 searches. Anybody else? Another thing that is unacceptable.

3) Once I read / seen a post that I've been notified about, the notification from the Notifications bell at the top of the screen should remove the notification. It doesn't. I have to go up there and check the notifications redundantly to make it go away.

4) They've changed the PM search function and now older messages don't show up in my searches (since the change)

Maybe I've missed solutions to these things?

Thoughts?

not a older boardie 

but #2 I can attest that it has happened to me once I was assuming it was probably my spotty wifi connection on my desktop never had this problem. just my input for the search timing out. 

17 minutes ago, Krismusic said:

but #2 I can attest that it has happened to me once I was assuming it was probably my spotty wifi connection on my desktop never had this problem.

Sorry, I don't understand this sentence.

25 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

It's been a few years now since the change and I'm wondering how people who were here before feel about it if you still have any ongoing problems.

1) when I get a PM notification and click on it, my PM opens to the 1st page of the PM string and not the newest message. Highly irritating and it really is unacceptable. Is there any sort of solution for this that I've missed?

2) when I am doing searches I often get a time out and an error and have to retry. I would say this happens at least once every 5-10 searches. Anybody else? Another thing that is unacceptable.

3) Once I read / seen a post that I've been notified about, the notification from the Notifications bell at the top of the screen should remove the notification. It doesn't. I have to go up there and check the notifications redundantly to make it go away.

4) They've changed the PM search function and now older messages don't show up in my searches (since the change)

Thoughts?

These are pretty much the same small irritations I have with the new software. I miss the old design and the flashing PM envelope, but that's all nostalgia. 

1 hour ago, VintageComics said:

Thoughts?

That's odd, because I had this same problem for a few weeks during the summer, and it randomly went away.

1 hour ago, VintageComics said:

Roy, in respect of your first point there is a way to always go straight to the newly advised pm (and not the first in the pm stream, if it has previous entries).

On your desktop, when you have a PM notification pop up, ignore the notification itself and look to the top right envelope next to your avatar which will show how many new pm's you have. Here you can see I have one (popular guy, me):

pm1.PNG.0bfdee822eb195ec24c9e51924633e94.PNG

If you click on the envelope it will show who the pm is from (in this case Jimmers) and you will see to the left of the pm title a small black circle (in between Jimmers flashing bonce and the word 'Can...'

pm2.thumb.PNG.bdd7c5e79e8ab72fca433a096e280f53.PNG

If you click on that circle you will be taken to the new pm, not the start of the pm stream.

This black circle thing exists elsewhere on the boards. For example, if you look at, say, Comics General, you will see the black circle to the left of any thread title in which there are posts that you have not yet read. Hover over the circle and it says 'Go to first unread post':

pm3.thumb.PNG.7f4fb034e666f71eb06d5f1e32a9331f.PNG

The black circle thing is not ideal, it's a little bit finicky, but it works when you're on your desktop. 

Hope that helps.

52 minutes ago, comicquant said:

Saying he had the issue with the search once before on a device other than his desktop

yup.. thanks for explaining. Sorry if it was hard to understand. 

1 minute ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

I'm enrolling you into a Remedial English course for 5th graders right now...

:baiting:

Damn, as long as I dont have to go on that TV show "are you smarter than a 5th grader" to show that I learnted somting from dat anglish corse. (: 

@bababooey mentioned this soon after the new iteration of the Boards was rolled out.

With longer threads like the ones below, it would make more sense for the page links to look like this:  590   591   592   593   594

I can't imagine a need to go to pages 2, 3 or 4.

1.jpg.2e2207113c0a86c21609301f88c73abc.jpg

Edited by BlowUpTheMoon
greggy is a dork

26 minutes ago, Krismusic said:

1 hour ago, comicquant said:

Saying he had the issue with the search once before on a device other than his desktop

yup.. thanks for explaining. Sorry if it was hard to understand. 

Punctuation and capitalization are important. Especially capitalization. 

It can mean the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse. 

2 minutes ago, JTD said:

While we are at it...is there a way to keep the notifications bolded that haven’t been read?...it used to work this way, now when I click the first one they all become a normal font...

This

20 minutes ago, awakeintheashes said:
22 minutes ago, JTD said:

While we are at it...is there a way to keep the notifications bolded that haven’t been read?...it used to work this way, now when I click the first one they all become a normal font...

This

this seconded :) or thirded idk just don't cut it in half :foryou: 

2 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Roy, in respect of your first point there is a way to always go straight to the newly advised pm (and not the first in the pm stream, if it has previous entries).

On your desktop, when you have a PM notification pop up, ignore the notification itself and look to the top right envelope next to your avatar which will show how many new pm's you have. Here you can see I have one (popular guy, me):

pm1.PNG.0bfdee822eb195ec24c9e51924633e94.PNG

If you click on the envelope it will show who the pm is from (in this case Jimmers) and you will see to the left of the pm title a small black circle (in between Jimmers flashing bonce and the word 'Can...'

pm2.thumb.PNG.bdd7c5e79e8ab72fca433a096e280f53.PNG

If you click on that circle you will be taken to the new pm, not the start of the pm stream.

This black circle thing exists elsewhere on the boards. For example, if you look at, say, Comics General, you will see the black circle to the left of any thread title in which there are posts that you have not yet read. Hover over the circle and it says 'Go to first unread post':

pm3.thumb.PNG.7f4fb034e666f71eb06d5f1e32a9331f.PNG

The black circle thing is not ideal, it's a little bit finicky, but it works when you're on your desktop. 

Hope that helps.

:acclaim:

The new PM system stinks.Roy mentioned the search,and it super stinks.I have messages saved from a decade ago,some from members now passed on years back.Trying to find these or older messages results in me scrolling and scrolling and scrolling in that little column on the left and it reeks.

The old system :preach: at least it was a full screen and you could go back by pages,it was a lot easier to seek out an old PM rather than start a new one.