• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ongoing discussions about the chat forum software
3 3

154 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

The "0 Views" when there have been 10 replies still looks goofy. 

1.thumb.jpg.1267a9b96af2142a4d81f3d6f741ae0c.jpg

The Views counter was working fine for me until this week, so this is a new problem for me.  What happened with that?  Was there a board software update this week?  And, the other thing I've noticed is that I'm not getting notifications at all now.  :pullhair:

1 hour ago, Buzzetta said:

I still want the option to open up all pages of a thread.

Never going to happen. No up-to-date board software will offer that, unless maybe they also have a hard post limit of something like 100 per thread.

The old board software had its issues but there are definitely parts of this software that feel like more of a lateral move than an improvement. Yeah, it's got more bells and whistles than the old software but is all that really worth it? The worst thing though is the lack of support. When the new boards went up, Arch and Scott were all over it. Who's piloting the ship these days? Who's in charge of technical issues, upgrades, and just general questions? No idea. 

11 minutes ago, Jim Corrigan said:
3 hours ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

The "0 Views" when there have been 10 replies still looks goofy. 

1.thumb.jpg.1267a9b96af2142a4d81f3d6f741ae0c.jpg

The Views counter was working fine for me until this week, so this is a new problem for me.  What happened with that?  Was there a board software update this week?  And, the other thing I've noticed is that I'm not getting notifications at all now.  :pullhair:

I brought the issue up to Arch after the new Boards were rolled out. He gave a reason why it was happening, but that's it.

2.jpg.ba91ea454e0a181cdacd32dd012def70.jpg

Edited by BlowUpTheMoon

8 minutes ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

I brought the issue up to Arch after the new Boards were rolled out. He gave a reason why it was happening, but that's it.

2.jpg.ba91ea454e0a181cdacd32dd012def70.jpg

Did they just roll out new boards within the last week?  That's when it stopped working for me.  It got so quiet, I wondered if Kim K. had broken the Internet again.

Edited by Jim Corrigan

2 hours ago, Foley said:

Punctuation and capitalization are important. Especially capitalization. 

It can mean the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse. 

Commas and punctuation are important, too.

"She had a crack baby."

&

"She had a crack, baby!"

are two different things. Totally different.

:)

-slym

4 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

The black circle thing is not ideal, it's a little bit finicky, but it works when you're on your desktop. 

It's dumb. If there is a notification for a new PM, why wouldn't I want to go to that first? That should be the default.

10 minutes ago, VintageComics said:
5 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

The black circle thing is not ideal, it's a little bit finicky, but it works when you're on your desktop. 

It's dumb. If there is a notification for a new PM, why wouldn't I want to go to that first? That should be the default.

It works that way for me as default (shrug)

With everyone but marwood, so I don't know what im doing right or wrong or idk :eek: eek!

11 hours ago, porcupine48 said:

:acclaim:

The new PM system stinks.Roy mentioned the search,and it super stinks.I have messages saved from a decade ago,some from members now passed on years back.Trying to find these or older messages results in me scrolling and scrolling and scrolling in that little column on the left and it reeks.

The old system :preach: at least it was a full screen and you could go back by pages,it was a lot easier to seek out an old PM rather than start a new one.

Yes, it's not the best is it Jim. But we have raised this point as a community many times over the last 3 years and nothing has changed so it seems we're stuck with it. 

9 hours ago, VintageComics said:

I agree Roy, the latest unread pm should be the default however it is accessed. In the meantime, the black circle thing works. Maybe just get used to using that. 

8 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

It works that way for me as default (shrug)

With everyone but marwood, so I don't know what im doing right or wrong or idk :eek: eek!

Sometimes is does Mark, sometimes it doesn't. That is another feature of the current software - the inconsistency of functional outcomes. 

del.thumb.PNG.95982367e0581405ea3f13fe1d843d30.PNG

Edited by Get Marwood & I
I fought the law but the law got the upper hand, launching a take over bid with a rear guard action

• Administrator

Hi everyone,

There's an error in the admin tools that has been interfering with background processing tasks for several days. This is why view counts/notifications/etc have been unreliable lately. I'm guessing it's causing other issues too.

We're working to get it resolved as quickly as possible, but it may take a few more days. Thanks for your patience!

Getting it fixed won't solve everything that's been mentioned in this thread, but it's a good start :takeit:

Scott

1 minute ago, Scott =) said:

Hi everyone,

There's an error in the admin tools that has been interfering with background processing tasks for several days. This is why view counts/notifications/etc have been unreliable lately. I'm guessing it's causing other issues too.

We're working to get it resolved as quickly as possible, but it may take a few more days. Thanks for your patience!

Getting it fixed won't solve everything that's been mentioned in this thread, but it's a good start :takeit:

Scott

:headbang:

Does that mean you're back Scott? We missed you. 

7 minutes ago, Scott =) said:

Hi everyone,

Scott

Scott, appreciate the reply but this new thread has very little to do with the current problem and is about long standing issues on the new forum software that haven't been resolved.

There seem to be a lot of people who voice the same complaints and would like solutions to the following problems (copied from my fist post):

1) when I get a PM notification and click on it, my PM opens to the 1st page of the PM string and not the newest message. Highly irritating and it really is unacceptable. Is there any sort of solution for this that I've missed?

2) when I am doing searches I often get a time out and an error and have to retry. I would say this happens at least once every 5-10 searches. Anybody else? Another thing that is unacceptable.

3) Once I read / seen a post that I've been notified about, the notification from the Notifications bell at the top of the screen should remove the notification. It doesn't. I have to go up there and check the notifications redundantly to make it go away.

4) They've changed the PM search function and now older messages don't show up in my searches (since the change)

4 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Where I personally feel they don't help themselves is by their apparent reluctance to communicate.

I joined in 2004 and Architect used to interact with members nearly daily on the forum software so the current feel is very different.

And I agree, that they give a sense of 'drifting' as responses are not consistent and members often feel ignored.

There really is no other word for it except unprofessional but that is the way all big business has gone to only deal with the loudest complaints while others simply remain un-addressed.

40 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

While we're on the subject, here are some of the positive things we get out of being a member of this forum:

1. It's free to join
  2. You can create an identity for yourself and personalise your own homepage and posts
  3. You can share and receive information with possibly the biggest comic community in the world
  4. You can make new friends, regardless of where you are in the world, and stay in touch with existing ones
  5. You can have you say on any comic related matter and, in the case of the WC, most other things too
  6. You can post images, gifs and videos with ease and with no restrictions on volume
  7. You can promote your own website
  8. You can sell your comics, create a feedback thread, build a reputation
  9. You can promote your offsite ebay sales
  10. You can send private emails to friends and members
  11. You can start threads on topics that interest you
  12. You can ask questions and, more often than not, get the answer you seek
  13. You can provide detailed information to the community about things that interest you
  14. You can join competitions, win and offer prizes
  15. You can tag people that you would like a response from, or to show them something that you think will interest them
  16. You can create a gallery of all your comics
  17. You can create a journal to showcase your hobbies or pursuit of a dream
  18. You can interact with people in a reasonably observed atmosphere, knowing that abuse will not be tolerated
  19. If you make a mistake - we all do - you are given many opportunities to calm down by a moderation team that you don't pay for, reflect and return later 
  20. You can share best practice, warn other users of bad practice
  21. You can become a part of a community - we often see groups pulling together when one of our number are in trouble
  22. You can be serious, you can be silly, you can have fun - there are areas for all these types of activity

When you can do all these things for free, isn't it a bit silly to complain that certain cosmetic functional elements are 'unacceptable!' How many of us feel this community is not an important part of our daily lives? How many of us would miss it dearly if it were to close, as other much loved sites have closed?

This place is largely fantastic - and it's FREE

Lets' enjoy it while we can, warts and all :headbang:

mail.gif.14fd020f11a1bcf18131042ab6766d4

1 hour ago, VintageComics said:

There seem to be a lot of people who voice the same complaints and would like solutions to the following problems (copied from my fist post):

fist.PNG.a3f2642afc028174e5b1417fa99e245e.PNG