• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ongoing discussions about the chat forum software
3 3

154 posts in this topic

22 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

You can't see it, but my mouse is clicking on the "Report post" link...

image.thumb.png.d728ed1fc3c084f572779017880481e0.png

Well now that I know it was you I'm going to have to give you a damn good thrashing. Are you familiar with Phil's parking lot?

2 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Isn't that the one you go to when you wanna wake up dead?

"When I woke up, I was knocked out." 

Some kid wrote that in a story at my school. He sounded silly too. 

Well, no discussions to be had here in the 'discussion' thread it seems, on topic or off.

Good luck Roy, getting answers to 2,3 and 4 :wishluck:

@VintageComics

• Administrator
On 11/22/2019 at 9:13 AM, VintageComics said:

Scott, appreciate the reply but this new thread has very little to do with the current problem and is about long standing issues on the new forum software that haven't been resolved.

There seem to be a lot of people who voice the same complaints and would like solutions to the following problems (copied from my fist post):

1) when I get a PM notification and click on it, my PM opens to the 1st page of the PM string and not the newest message. Highly irritating and it really is unacceptable. Is there any sort of solution for this that I've missed?

2) when I am doing searches I often get a time out and an error and have to retry. I would say this happens at least once every 5-10 searches. Anybody else? Another thing that is unacceptable.

3) Once I read / seen a post that I've been notified about, the notification from the Notifications bell at the top of the screen should remove the notification. It doesn't. I have to go up there and check the notifications redundantly to make it go away.

4) They've changed the PM search function and now older messages don't show up in my searches (since the change)

Hi Vintage!

1) I don't experience this problem when using the envelope icon at the top right of the site (shrug). When you click that envelope and then right click one of the messages and choose "Copy link address" in your browser, what URL does it give you? It gives me a URL ending in ?latest=1, and that means when I click the message it automatically brings me to the last message in the conversation. This is true for me regardless of whether I've read the conversation already. 

I see that if I go to https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/messenger/ and click one of the messages in the left panel, it brings me to the first message in the conversation. I don't see any options for you to change how this behaves, and I don't see any way for me to customize how it works as an admin either. The boards host (Invision) would need to create that option.

2) I'm not seeing this issue either. If this happens to you frequently, it could be helpful to know what search parameters you're entering and what specific error you're seeing. Feel free to PM me screenshots next time it happens.

3) I see what you mean. This would be nice, but it's not a feature of the chat boards currently. The boards host (Invision) would need to build it.

4) I was able to search for a message from 2010 successfully. How old is "older"? And do you have a huge inbox? It would be extremely helpful if you could PM me a screenshot of an example message in your inbox along with the failing search terms you're using to try to search for it.

Scott

• Administrator
50 minutes ago, comicdonna said:

I just got a bunch of notifications from last Friday.  How's the fix coming, @Scott =)?

The fix went live a couple minutes before your post ^^

There are a LOT of notifications and other background processes queued up... I'm guessing it will be a day or so before it's fully caught up on everything.

7 minutes ago, Scott =) said:

1) I don't experience this problem when using the envelope icon at the top right of the site (shrug). When you click that envelope and then right click one of the messages and choose "Copy link address" in your browser, what URL does it give you? It gives me a URL ending in ?latest=1, and that means when I click the message it automatically brings me to the last message in the conversation. This is true for me regardless of whether I've read the conversation already. 

Hi Scott,

I think what Roy is referring to is:

When you get a notification that someone has sent a PM, and you click on the bell icon (not the envelope), then click on "So and so sent you a message", it doesn't bring you to the message they just sent. Instead, it brings you to the first page of the PM thread.

27 minutes ago, Scott =) said:

The fix went live a couple minutes before your post ^^

There are a LOT of notifications and other background processes queued up... I'm guessing it will be a day or so before it's fully caught up on everything.

Thank you, Scott!  :applause:

On 11/22/2019 at 3:34 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

While we're on the subject, here are some of the positive things we get out of being a member of this forum:

1. It's free to join
  2. You can create an identity for yourself and personalise your own homepage and posts
  3. You can share and receive information with possibly the biggest comic community in the world
  4. You can make new friends, regardless of where you are in the world, and stay in touch with existing ones
  5. You can have you say on any comic related matter and, in the case of the WC, most other things too
  6. You can post images, gifs and videos with ease and with no restrictions on volume
  7. You can promote your own website
  8. You can sell your comics, create a feedback thread, build a reputation
  9. You can promote your offsite ebay sales
  10. You can send private emails to friends and members
  11. You can start threads on topics that interest you
  12. You can ask questions and, more often than not, get the answer you seek
  13. You can provide detailed information to the community about things that interest you
  14. You can join competitions, win and offer prizes
  15. You can tag people that you would like a response from, or to show them something that you think will interest them
  16. You can create a gallery of all your comics
  17. You can create a journal to showcase your hobbies or pursuit of a dream
  18. You can interact with people in a reasonably observed atmosphere, knowing that abuse will not be tolerated
  19. If you make a mistake - we all do - you are given many opportunities to calm down by a moderation team that you don't pay for, reflect and return later 
  20. You can share best practice, warn other users of bad practice
  21. You can become a part of a community - we often see groups pulling together when one of our number are in trouble
  22. You can be serious, you can be silly, you can have fun - there are areas for all these types of activity

When you can do all these things for free, isn't it a bit silly to complain that certain cosmetic functional elements are 'unacceptable!' How many of us feel this community is not an important part of our daily lives? How many of us would miss it dearly if it were to close, as other much loved sites have closed?

This place is largely fantastic - and it's FREE

Lets' enjoy it while we can, warts and all :headbang:

Leave it some (some qualifier definitely NOT tied to how long someone has been here) members to inevitably raise the, "It's FREE!" banner.  In short summary (feel free to search for my lengthier posts on the subject - good luck with that in the new software), the boards are ADVERTISEMENTS.  They are also REVENUE GENERATORS.  See the banner ads above.  Those aren't free and the metric is based on how many eyeballs this site gets.  Your eyeballs.  You are creating money to put in CGC's pockets.  These boards aren't "FREE-ermagawd-FREE!!"

6 minutes ago, Transplant said:

Leave it some (some qualifier definitely NOT tied to how long someone has been here) members to inevitably raise the, "It's FREE!" banner.  In short summary (feel free to search for my lengthier posts on the subject - good luck with that in the new software), the boards are ADVERTISEMENTS.  They are also REVENUE GENERATORS.  See the banner ads above.  Those aren't free and the metric is based on how many eyeballs this site gets.  Your eyeballs.  You are creating money to put in CGC's pockets.  These boards aren't "FREE-ermagawd-FREE!!"

Are you looking for a thrashing as well!?

7 minutes ago, Transplant said:

It's free to join is what I said. I don't pay anything for the privilege of posting here. A service I don't pay for is free, to me. If CGC make money via the advertising aspect, that's great. But it's still free, to me.

And what do you mean by your opening sentence? Is that a derogatory comment directed towards me personally? If so, why? All I have done is list some of the positives of being a member here. If you want me to list the negatives, I'm confident I'll match any list you can muster. But why be so personal about it? Unless I am misunderstanding you that is. Am I?

1 minute ago, Get Marwood & I said:

And what do you mean by your opening sentence? Is that a derogatory comment directed towards me personally? If so, why? All I have done is list some of the positives of being a member here. If you want me to list the negatives, I'm confident I'll match any list you can muster. But why be so personal about it? Unless I am misunderstanding you that is. Am I?

It's not directed at you.  It's a poke in the eye of oversensitive mods and their sensitivity to protecting noobs. 

Just now, Transplant said:

It's not directed at you.  It's a poke in the eye of oversensitive mods and their sensitivity to protecting noobs. 

Is it? Oh.

I don't see any mention of mods in your opening sentence Transplant, or inference:

"Leave it some (some qualifier definitely NOT tied to how long someone has been here) members to inevitably raise the, "It's FREE!" banner"

That reads to me as 'trust some member of a certain type to say it's free', eyeball raise, patronisingly etc.

Maybe be more careful with what you type if you want to avoid the conflict your signature line refers to Transplant. If you quote me and then say that, you can't expect me not to think you're directing it at me. 

9 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Is it? Oh.

I don't see any mention of mods in your opening sentence Transplant, or inference:

"Leave it some (some qualifier definitely NOT tied to how long someone has been here) members to inevitably raise the, "It's FREE!" banner"

That reads to me as 'trust some member of a certain type to say it's free', eyeball raise, patronisingly etc.

Maybe be more careful with what you type if you want to avoid the conflict your signature line refers to Transplant. If you quote me and then say that, you can't expect me not to think you're directing it at me. 

Are you gonna thrash him OR WUT?

10 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

I see how it is, English Man.

You'll butter my crumpets but you won't throw a sugar cube in anyone else's tea.

Always picking on the little guy... English Man is quite the opposite to Captain America!

1513662647_Benny1.gif.d0e7f196f410e6977cec3a40dd108ce1.gif

30 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Is it? Oh.

Wtf are you talking about?