• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ongoing discussions about the chat forum software
3 3

154 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Yes, the boards search function is appalling - even Arch recommended the use of Google once as I recall. 

Google throws up about ten thread suggestions using the search term "Northland Pedigree":

Screenshot_2019-11-27-22-15-03.thumb.png.5cc3476a91caacbf70edcf74563459c6.png

It's not perfect but worth a shot. 

You asked me for an example of the board search function failing.  I gave you one, and could give you dozens more.  I also noted that so many old threads that are really informative and, in some cases, historically important are now useless owing to the many broken links and attachments - this is true of old threads that show up in Google searches.

3 minutes ago, namisgr said:

You asked me for an example of the board search function failing.  I gave you one, and could give you dozens more.  I also noted that so many old threads that are really informative and, in some cases, historically important are now useless owing to the many broken links and attachments - this is true of old threads that show up in Google searches.

Ah, now I understand..... photobucket canceled all free hosting of past pics and such, so that's part of the reason old threads are missing items.

I haven't ever heard that cgc had anything to do with it so I'll bow out :)

5 minutes ago, IkewithMike said:

Can't help but wonder how many people who make posts actually reflect about what they write before they write it. And here it all is, saved in the annuls of the internet

Indeed. On the positive, the search engine here is so rubbish that in a few years time no one will be able to find any of it :bigsmile:

9 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Indeed. On the positive, the search engine here is so rubbish that in a few years time no one will be able to find any of it :bigsmile:

Uh yeah. It's got that going for it, I suppose

5 hours ago, namisgr said:

It's a shame isn't it. I did a collection for an elderly lady yesterday whose husband had died. 20 boxes of books which, she told me, represented about a tenth of his collection. They were mostly WWII books and a lot of tv and film history. She said that what he didn't know about either you could write on the back of a stamp. All that knowledge gone. We chatted a while, as people who are recently bereaved do, and agreed how rotten death was. How it takes your loved one, but also everything they knew and had built up over their lives, both physically and mentally. I'll be back there next week for the next load which, alas, will probably sell for peanuts, if at all, in our charity shops. Nothing fair in life.

12 hours ago, namisgr said:

I also noted that so many old threads that are really informative and, in some cases, historically important are now useless owing to the many broken links and attachments - this is true of old threads that show up in Google searches.

That has very little, if anything, to do with the current board software, definitely nothing to do with the search function and is a problem all over the internet. Not really relevant to this thread.

9 hours ago, IkewithMike said:

Can't help but wonder how many people who make posts actually reflect about what they write before they write it. And here it all is, saved in the annuls of the internet

Drunken/drugged-up posts are the best posts for posterity.

lol

-slym (sorta misses Lux sometimes just for his insane posts)

I continue to get Errors every time I use the search function for Private Messages. It's happened multiple times.

When I 'resend' the information it works the 2nd time.

error 504.png

Edited by VintageComics

16 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

I continue to get Errors every time I use the search function for Private Messages. It's happened multiple times.

error 504.png

How many pages of messages do you have, and how old is the oldest? I don’t have this error, but I keep mine pretty clean because I’m a bit compulsive about it.

• Administrator
2 hours ago, VintageComics said:

error 504.png

Hey Vintage - PM search worked for me with my account. I only have a couple hundred private messages, though.

I'm guessing that performance / errors are directly related to how many private messages you have (and possibly how far back they go, and how many people are included on them, etc). I'm betting that bigger inbox = slower search and increased likelihood of errors.

Just to confirm - I'm assuming you have many, many thousands of private messages, and they probably go all the way back to your join date, and many of them probably have lots of other people included. Does that sound right? Feel free to PM me the answers if you'd prefer.

Once I understand your situation a little better, I'll raise the issue to the boards vendor and see if they have any advice.

Thanks,

Scott