• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does this look like a 9.8?
2 2

98 posts in this topic

Hello,

I hope this is the correct place for this.  This book is currently on eBay.  The listing states that this is a 4th print but also makes clear that the label does not say it.  When you do a cert verification, it says it is a first print.

I would have thought that maybe CGC just made a mistake, until you take a good look at the book.

I'm not an expert, hence the post here, but just looking at the spine alone leads me to believe that this is not a 9.8.

Wondering what everyone thinks.

Thanks!

5274643.jpeg

Look below the price.... "IV" =  4

MY COMIC SHOP is a trusted seller. You can go to their website and they'll answer any questions..... if you are interested in this book you can buy off their site as well and save a bit of $$.

Edited by jokiing

17 minutes ago, jokiing said:

Look below the price.... "IV" =  4

Yes, I understand that but the slab does not say it and the cert number is also associated with a first print.

I know it's possible that CGC could make that mistake, but then when looking at the pics it just looks below 9.8 (to me anyways).

If anyone cares to expand the picture all the way open you'll see the broken and dirty spine, as well as what looks like color missing in places, and at least one chip.

Something just doesn't seem right about this.  But as I stated, I am certainly no expert grader, which is why I'm asking if it looks like a 9.8 to anyone else.  I appreciate it!

The book don't lie... and of course CGC can and does make label errors.... so it makes sense that the label and cert. # would match, tho incorrectly.

As for the spine condition, remember that you're looking at a photo of a scan, through two layers of plastic on a computer screen... hard to judge without first-hand eyeballs.

Edited by jokiing

If you're on the fence then you should pass on it.  Sometimes CGC will allow a 9.8 to pass through with a minor spine ding...I know it's not what we envision a 9.8 to be but not all 9.8's are the same.  To me, I can see how it passes for a 9.8 but if I had the option to get one without the spine bend, of course, I'd go for it instead over this one.  However, if it was ultra rare I could live with it.  I much prefer my 'imperfections' to be on the back, although I don't display my books so I guess it doesn't matter.  To me, this is believable as a 9.8 or a 9.6. 2c

4 hours ago, miraclemet said:

It's definitely a CGC 9.8

you can tell because it's in a CGC slab and then if you look carefully in the upper left corener of the label you can see: 

9.8.JPG.1328312f4bf97038e0322af22b144bca.JPG

The seller is selling a CGC 9.8, and it's definitely a CGC 9.8, cause it's in a CGC slab with a 9.8 label. 

Now if YOU dont think it's a 9.8, don't buy it. If you want to be sure you are buying a 9.8 based on your assessment only buy books from high quality scans or wait until you can hold the book in hand at a shop or show. 

Pretty much what I was going to say lol

12 hours ago, miraclemet said:

It's definitely a CGC 9.8

you can tell because it's in a CGC slab and then if you look carefully in the upper left corener of the label you can see: 

9.8.JPG.1328312f4bf97038e0322af22b144bca.JPG

The seller is selling a CGC 9.8, and it's definitely a CGC 9.8, cause it's in a CGC slab with a 9.8 label. 

Now if YOU dont think it's a 9.8, don't buy it. If you want to be sure you are buying a 9.8 based on your assessment only buy books from high quality scans or wait until you can hold the book in hand at a shop or show. 

Oh my Goodness!  There it is... man, how did I ever miss that!!  Thanks for your reply and for helping a lowly newb like myself!  You are the man!

I knew I could find helpful people here!

Maybe this would have been a better way to go.  Was looking for another opinion about the book in the slab.  I obviously know how to make a decision as to whether to buy a book, or not.

There sure are some real person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed bags on these boards.  

909358600_ScreenShot2019-11-22at9_37_22PM.png.41e9abd313928f849124028d58c20d37.png

Not sure what screen you are using, but any book I look at from MCS on my lap top with that gigantic jumbo scan looks like garbage. The scanners they use are scratched and dirty (or at least they appear to be in the way too large scans) Also, that spine situation could either be the scanner or newton rings. I've seen several books that look like that in scans and don't in real life. 

11 hours ago, Iconic1s said:

Maybe this would have been a better way to go.  Was looking for another opinion about the book in the slab.  I obviously know how to make a decision as to whether to buy a book, or not.

There sure are some real person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed bags on these boards.  

909358600_ScreenShot2019-11-22at9_37_22PM.png.41e9abd313928f849124028d58c20d37.png

My point is.

The small difference between a 9.6 and a 9.8 is often too miniscule to discern via a scan, especially a lower resolution scan, and even more so a scan of a slab. 

Under these conditions one cannot expect certainty. If you are a collector who needs books (slabbed or unslabbed) to be in at least NM/M condition condition then buying online is not your best venue for all the reasons above. UNLESS you are willing to trust the grading work of CGC.

CGC (while also not perfect) has graded the book. When they graded it they had the book in hand, in person. It was in hand assessed by multiple people  and a consensus was made. Does CGC make mistakes? Sure.  Do occasional flaws get overlooked that might have downgraded the book to 9.6? Sure. But in the end, in hand grading is more accurate than online low res scan (through slab plastic) grading. 

If you are only going to be happy with perfect do the eBay seller a favor and buy in person where you can do an in hand visual inspection of the book to decide if it meets your standards, since you are dismissing CGC's assessment. 

Speaking of which, you will probably find the book cheaper raw, so maybe go that way? Since you don't believe in CGC why pay the upcost of a book that's been CGC graded and slabbed?

9 hours ago, Foley said:

Or perhaps you have thin skin and can't take a joke?

Lighten up.

It wasn’t a joke, and if it was, at who’s expense. It was an unnecessary sarcastic response.  Laugh all you want to. Seems to be a trend among ‘some’ of the users here with thousands of posts to want to talk down to others users.

These forums should make people feel welcome and not have to worry about someone talking to them like they are stupid when asking a question/opinion.

There are plenty of threads on this forum where jokes are a lot of fun. Not every honest question needs to be met with some type of sarcasm by someone that only has their content count going for them.  Of course, I realize this is falling on deaf ears.

Thanks to everyone else that actually helped me out. 

56 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

For nearly 20 years, there have been complaints like this, and also for nearly 20 years, those making such complaints have discovered, over time, that it wasn't actually the case. You're stepping into a long established culture, with people who have interacted with each other, and often formed long term, in person friendships, for many, many years.

It is a myth that new people are treated any differently than anyone else. No one is being "talked down to" because they are new.  These forums DO make people feel welcome, and part of that welcome is good-natured ribbing. It is every new person's job to learn to fit in to the culture...not force the culture to adapt to them. Miraclemet is a nice guy. He's trying to help you. Not that he needs me to defend him, but he's one of the last people on the board that would set out to offend someone on purpose.

Foley is correct. 

Still not impressed...