• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does this look like a 9.8?
2 2

98 posts in this topic

57 minutes ago, Iconic1s said:

Still not impressed...

It's not a 9.9 world... especially on the internet (or in traffic) where peeps are somewhat anonymous . They'll  be varying degrees of interaction that can be construed as offensive, albeit a joke or downright meanness, that we have to put up with as a free society. It's how one reacts that really matters. Ignoring bully's is probably a good strategy. Getting upset and name calling over a tongue-in-cheek joke, as I and others see it, is a waste of energy and takes away some of the fun and camaraderie.

I'm not trying to telling you how you should react to comments nor I'm I trying to impress my opinion upon you. I don't want to insult your intelligence... just sharing my thoughts.

Edited by jokiing

8 hours ago, Iconic1s said:

Still not impressed...

You don't have to follow anyone's instructions on how you need to 'fit in' anywhere-nor do you have to sit back and swallow what some call 'good-natured ribbing' which is an obvious demeaning comment bro.

6 hours ago, AndyFish said:

I'd also second or third MyComicShop as good upstanding people.   I would buy from them without hesitation.  But there are a million of these 90s books out there, and I don't think it'd be hard to track down another 9.8 you like better.

The only problem with this particular book is that it's a relatively scarce later printing that is tough to find in 9.8. I understand Iconic's problem: if you're going to shell out the big $$ for a tougher book, it ought to really BE a 9.8, and not a gift-grade. According to the census, there is only a single 9.8 of this book on the census; if no other copies were mis-labeled like this one, that means there's just two...so the only opportunity to own one is this copy, and it's unlikely that another one will come along soon.

It's a tough call, especially for these rare 90s later printings that can be very, very difficult to find in ultra high grade.

On 11/21/2019 at 7:51 PM, Iconic1s said:

The listing states that this is a 4th print but also makes clear that the label does not say it.  When you do a cert verification, it says it is a first print.

The database entry (other than updates to any issue notes) will match the label unless the label/slab is fake. And it doesn't say it's a first print, that's just implied by the lack of printing information.

8 hours ago, AndyFish said:

trouble is it's slabbed so that's the end of the story, or at least it should be.   CGC is made up of people who do the grading, maybe the book comes in on a Friday and people want to go home, maybe it comes in on a Monday and everyone had a great weekend so it grades up a notch-- but it should not be debatable if a book isn't the grade it appears to be 'cause the grade is right there.

Except that we've seen books slabbed with the wrong labels, including a relatively recent case with a VG and VF (?) of the same issue. I'm not saying that is necessarily, or even likely, the case here, but it happens.

On 11/22/2019 at 7:32 PM, Iconic1s said:

Oh my Goodness!  There it is... man, how did I ever miss that!!  Thanks for your reply and for helping a lowly newb like myself!  You are the man!

I knew I could find helpful people here!

Technically you are correct asking if a book is really a 9.8, even tho the label says 9.8.  This is because damage can happen, inside a slab.

13 minutes ago, kav said:

Technically you are correct asking if a book is really a 9.8, even tho the label says 9.8.  This is because damage can happen, inside a slab.

While true, there is nothing about this specific book that suggests post-slabbing damage is an issue.

1 hour ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

if no other copies were mis-labeled like this one

Sadly, an assumption that cannot be made, even though CGC seems to be pretty good with later printings from the Big Two. Indies are another story (as you well know). :eek:

Edited by Lazyboy

8 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

:screwy:

If you join a group and expect everybody else to change for you, you are a :censored: insufficiently_thoughtful_person.

I read the boards for months before posting. I knew the general atmosphere and a lot of specific personalities of other members. Some clueless people might have been offended by some of the early posts directed at me, but I was able to see them for what they really were. That doesn't mean I've never had a problem with anybody here, that everybody here is among the nicest, most perfect people in the world, or that the off-topic/silliness doesn't get out of hand sometimes, just that this place is what it is and that has to be understood.

I think what he was suggesting that no one can ask the other person to 'change' or 'fit in', on either side of the argument.  I didnt see iconic asking for that.

Just now, kav said:

I think what he was suggesting that no one can ask the other person to 'change' or 'fit in', on either side of the argument.  I didnt see iconic asking for that.

You certainly have the option of not trying to fit in or not liking the group, but then why bother sticking around? Also, nobody is likely to take your side if you want to play the outsider and whine about everybody else.

2 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

You certainly have the option of not trying to fit in or not liking the group, but then why bother sticking around? Also, nobody is likely to take your side if you want to play the outsider and whine about everybody else.

Someone took his side.  And I stuck around when I first joined, even tho I was attacked mercilessly.