• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

resubmitting old cases CGC books for new grade?

7 posts in this topic

I recently purchased a book on eBay that was stated as a 9.4, and it is on CGC consensus. However, it was graded in 2004, and since then it looks like the case has some minor scratches/scuffs, and the a very minuscule paper speck from the bottom right corner of the book is visible in the case. There are also some marks that may be factory printing errors (that would not have affected original grade) on Moon Knight’a shading. The seller is reputable and kindly offered to help me pay for the cost of sending it back to CGC to get it regraded, however I’m worried CGC will down grade the book.  Don’t get me wrong, this book is still in extremely nice condition, but these small details bother me and I feel like if it was encased in a new case it would look fresh. I can’t tell if some of the markings are from the book or case itself. The case has not been punctured, just merely scuffed and there is a floating speck of paper under MK’s foot.

9BE2D2C1-0CAD-421E-ADEE-059EC264B56E.jpeg

26366241-879E-4136-AE20-133B7A2FF959.jpeg

Edited by tossleboy
Typo

unless it looks like the case has been tampered with (they suspect fraud) or the book is for some reason an OBVIOUSLY lower grade than the original grade, the book will be given a new holder with the same grade.

You pay for a re-holder (new case), not a new grade. 

You can look on the website for more info about re-holders, OR contact CGC customer service about re-holders.

9 minutes ago, revat said:

unless it looks like the case has been tampered with (they suspect fraud) or the book is for some reason an OBVIOUSLY lower grade than the original grade, the book will be given a new holder with the same grade.

You can look on the website for more info about re-holders, OR contact CGC customer service about re-holders.

(thumbsu this exactly... do it through the re-holder service they won't re grade unless its warranted through case broken and damage on a book or tampering etc.. 

also might want to get some mylar bags for your cases I keep all my cgc cases in some graded size bags so when I am sliding them in and out of the nice BCW shiny box I have they dont scratch or scuff and if the bag does just swap it out... 

Best of luck and welcome to the boards.

On 11/22/2019 at 1:16 PM, revat said:

That's great to know, I had no idea you could do this. Thanks for the excellent info