• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"Patience Is A Virue" by Golden
1 1

40 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Mephisto said:

It was basically a commission Bill Sienkwicz did of a monster but if you kind of flipped it a bit the monster was actually a pen15 with a nut sac and all with wearing a condom on it’s head.

Two pieces of art for the price of one!!!!

2 hours ago, Dr_Strange said:

i sold it to a collector in England. There were 4 of us who got Virue pieces . . one was actually not too bad, the other 2 were just as offensive, if not more so. I was the only one who chose to show mine.

I had no idea there were 4 of them. 

Were they all misspelled? 

If so that makes it even funnier because then it's not just a typo on his part. 

10 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

yes indeed, all had the" virue" message and all had the characters with their backs to the viewer. In the final statement at the time, the other 3 collectors at the name were mentioned, but declined to show their art.

It’s a shame and as classic as these pieces are, it’s beyond disrespectful. 

And what bothers me even more, I had reached out to Golden at one point regarding a redo of a cover, never heard back from him or his rep.

As Golden as some stuff is, I ain’t getting any. Case closed. Sad but true.

5 hours ago, comix4fun said:

4 of them, all with deliberate misspellings. :whatthe:

And here I thought this story couldn't get any better. :popcorn:

8 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

4 of them, all with deliberate misspellings. :whatthe:

And here I thought this story couldn't get any better. :popcorn:

yeah, I had no idea there were 4 either.  I guess there is always more to learn...

Malvin

12 minutes ago, Will_K said:

@Dr_Strange

I understand if the commissioners don't want to show the art.  But is it possible to know what the subject/characters were for the other 3 pieces ?  And can you say what happened after ??  Did any of the 3 get "replacement" commissions as you did ??

One was the Micronauts, one had Dracula and a couple other characters, and I can’t remember the fourth. I think one got a new piece and the other 2 refunds.

I remembered it was 4 of you, but did not know they all got "virue". I did know they all got the same message essentially.

I was on the Golden list at the time; it was a fustercluck. Eva did give me free prints when I would check in at shows and ask about the commissions. When it finally came I was disappointed in the art itself on my two (Hulk and Dr Strange, both long gone); the classic Golden style was not to be found in the new stuff.

4 minutes ago, Bird said:

I remembered it was 4 of you, but did not know they all got "virue". I did know they all got the same message essentially.

I was on the Golden list at the time; it was a fustercluck. Eva did give me free prints when I would check in at shows and ask about the commissions. When it finally came I was disappointed in the art itself on my two (Hulk and Dr Strange, both long gone); the classic Golden style was not to be found in the new stuff.

For the first couple of years after, I would get Lots of emails from people in the same boat asking for advice. The only advice I had was not to keep things like this secret, collectors keep things like this close to their chest for the most part.

2 minutes ago, Dr_Strange said:

For the first couple of years after, I would get Lots of emails from people in the same boat asking for advice. The only advice I had was not to keep things like this secret, collectors keep things like this close to their chest for the most part.

well, I am glad you came out from hiding here and told us the story Gerry! You were always a class-act Doc collector!

-Sean

In my early days of collecting and working with artists and reps to have commissions done, the "Patience is a virtue" thread was one of the first I read. I met Michael at a show and had him do a commission which he didn't finish and had to be shipped. I was a nervous wreck waiting, and unnecessarily began to panic. After a couple of emails, Michael via his rep told me the work was done, and shipped it. I was quite pleased and have done many with him since.   My theme is 1970s super heroes.   Troy R. Kinunen   , troy@mearsonline.com 

golden michael  11x17 and 1979 captain america reb brown.JPG

golden michael 11x17  and 1971-1977 spiderman danny seagren.JPG

golden michael 11x17 and 1966 star trek.JPG

golden michael 11x17 and 1974 Shazam jackson bostwick.JPG

golden michael 11x17 and 1977 incredible hulk.JPG

golden michael green hornet.JPG

golden michael shazam.JPG

TFG.jpg

On 11/23/2019 at 10:21 AM, Dr_Strange said:

Our case would maybe have had more impact with the 4, but I respect their decision not to show 

I believe there are several people who saw all 4 pieces prior to the time everything was resolved.  They all had a good laugh I believe.  At least one of the other pieces is out there for people to see but the text was digitally removed when it was placed on CAF so as to not inflame the situation (and, no, I am not going to point it out as there is no reason to do that).  However, visitors to the collector's home can easily see the original by thumbing through the owner's Itoyas.