• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Acquired an Action Comics 4, should I RISK putting a repro cover on it?

53 posts in this topic

Hey there. Hope you are doing well!

I have acquired an Action Comics 4 graded through PGX (ugh) and I am looking to hopefully get a reproduction cover on and graded through CGC.

I have the reproduction cover which includes the front, back, interior front and interior back that is to the size of the comic. I would also make sure there is no over hang or anything like that.

I also have PGX grading notes: 
Coverless/tape along spine & top edge, brittle at three corners These are the only notes. Coverless would normally be a .5 but with the brittle corners it was graded a .3. Book is complete though besides missing front/back cover.

I can tell you upon close inspection it does appear brittle. It also appears that someone glued a cover on it prior and removed it as you can see along the spine.

My plan is to remove it from the PGX case and put the repro cover on it, but my question is, if I use archival tape to attach the cover/back cover repro wrap (its a one piece just like a normal wrap) would it maintain a universal .5 grade or would CGC label it NG cause of its condition? (I want to avoid getting a no grade). I def want to if possible get a blue label (no restore purple label) so non restoration would be ideal (Like I mention I would use archival tape to attach cover to the book)

Do you think this is possible for this book? Also, how "attached" does the cover need to be to the book? Can I use like 3 small pieces of archival tape to attach it to the book and it'd be fine? Or would I need to attach it along the whole spine with archival tape? Or do you think its too risky to even do anything like that and should I leave it as is? Sorry for so many questions, I just really want the best for my investment in this book and I consider CGC to be the best. 

Thank you,
-Ryan

75627410_537186650462306_6020061088194756608_n.jpg

76906358_439576880083967_6705832048126328832_n.jpg

4 minutes ago, comicdonna said:

What about leaving the repro cover loose, and not attaching it?

To my knowledge it needs to be attached for them to grade it... I could be wrong though but that was my impression. Hopefully someone can chime in on this.

Edited by Ryan Vandal

39 minutes ago, zzutak said:

I strongly recommend that you count pages before making any other decisions.  PGX has been known to "overlook" missing pages.  :pullhair:

I am well aware of PGX's practices when it comes to grading lol. I asked them several times over if it was missing any pages and they stated no. So we'll see when it comes time...

3 minutes ago, Ryan Vandal said:
5 minutes ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

I'd leave it as is. 

how come?

What benefit is there in attaching a repro cover to it? I can't see any. If you had an original cover, then maybe.

Get it regraded by CGC (if you want) and find a nice frame for your repro cover and hang it on a wall. 

Edited by Jeffro.

Just now, Jeffro. said:

What benefit is there in attaching a repro cover to it? I can't see any. Get it regraded by CGC (if you want) and find a nice frame for your repro cover and hang it on a wall. 

That is legit a good idea. Never thought of that actually lol! I guess I just would like the repro cover to make it feel more "complete"

Just now, Ryan Vandal said:
1 minute ago, Jeffro. said:

What benefit is there in attaching a repro cover to it? I can't see any. Get it regraded by CGC (if you want) and find a nice frame for your repro cover and hang it on a wall. 

That is legit a good idea. Never thought of that actually lol! I guess I just would like the repro cover to make it feel more "complete"

But that's just it, it still won't be complete.  

1 minute ago, Jeffro. said:
3 minutes ago, Ryan Vandal said:
4 minutes ago, Jeffro. said:

But that's just it, it still won't be complete.  

Bingo.