• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Acquired an Action Comics 4, should I RISK putting a repro cover on it?

53 posts in this topic

Leave it alone.  Essentially no good can come from cracking it...sure you could attach a repo but you are not going to get a grade bump or any material gain.  If you crack it the following could occur:
Missing pages (ya they say they aren't but we know they can't count)
Missing coupon (see above)
Resto (see above)
PageQuality will very likely change to brittle or slightly brittle

If you need it to feel more complete just tape the repo to the case :baiting: 

1 minute ago, Iceman399 said:

Leave it alone.  Essentially no good can come from cracking it...sure you could attach a repo but you are not going to get a grade bump or any material gain.  If you crack it the following could occur:
Resto (see above)

If you need it to feel more complete just tape the repo to the case :baiting: 

Yeah but it being a PGX book.... wouldn't it lower the value of it keeping it in PGX case?

2 minutes ago, Ryan Vandal said:

Yeah but it being a PGX book.... wouldn't it lower the value of it keeping it in PGX case?

You bought it at a discount (I'm assuming because it's PGX) so when you go to sell it, sell it at a discount.

What happens when you crack it and any of the above happen?  You'll be SOL.

4 minutes ago, Iceman399 said:

You bought it at a discount (I'm assuming because it's PGX) so when you go to sell it, sell it at a discount.

What happens when you crack it and any of the above happen?  You'll be SOL.

Yeah, I got it for 898 usd, not sure if thats a good price or not.

20 minutes ago, Iceman399 said:

Resto (see above)

Playing devil's advocate to Iceman, cross grading would give you the added peace of mind of knowing the actual condition of the book rather than PGX's two bit opinion that was rendered between pizza deliveries.   

Yeah, the truth may hurt.  BUT, say you re-sell the book in the PGX tomb.  Then that buyer cross grades it with CGC and it comes back with a few surprises.  That buyer could easily turn around and hassle you for selling a not as advertised book, even though it was PGX's screw up to begin with.  Food for thought.

And add my vote to the don't attach a repro cover camp. 

39 minutes ago, Ryan Vandal said:

it'd feel more complete in my eyes lol

Recommend having the pages de-acidified so that they are stronger and will last decades longer. Loosely marry your repro cover to the parts so you can 'feel more complete.' Forget about slabbing and just enjoy the comic raw. :idea:

16 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

Playing devil's advocate to Iceman, cross grading would give you the added peace of mind of knowing the actual condition of the book rather than PGX's two bit opinion that was rendered between pizza deliveries.   

Yeah, the truth may hurt.  BUT, say you re-sell the book in the PGX tomb.  Then that buyer cross grades it with CGC and it comes back with a few surprises.  That buyer could easily turn around and hassle you for selling a not as advertised book, even though it was PGX's screw up to begin with.  Food for thought.

And add my vote to the don't attach a repro cover camp. 

Come at me bro :slapfight:.  I'll legit :roflmao:the day someone tries to cross over/cpr a book and complains when they don't get the result they are looking for.

5 minutes ago, Iceman399 said:

Come at me bro :slapfight:.  I'll legit :roflmao:the day someone tries to cross over/cpr a book and complains when they don't get the result they are looking for.

Dude, with all the nonsense we hear about in the Blocked eBay user thread, you know its bound to happen.  Way too many snowflakes out there.

also I wouldn't put a repro cover on it specially since its missing all. what I would do since you want it in a CGC slab you can take the risk and crack it carefully check page count and brittleness of pages.. I would send it to a pro CCS or google someone who can do that and see if they can remove that white repro cover and glue have a nice looking splash page... admire it and at least it will look a lot better if they can get that white stuck on repro cover off.. you can keep your repro cover frame it separately etc. mylar hang it.. w/e floats your boat.. 

15 minutes ago, Krismusic said:

also I wouldn't put a repro cover on it specially since its missing all. what I would do since you want it in a CGC slab you can take the risk and crack it carefully check page count and brittleness of pages.. I would send it to a pro CCS or google someone who can do that and see if they can remove that white repro cover and glue have a nice looking splash page... admire it and at least it will look a lot better if they can get that white stuck on repro cover off.. you can keep your repro cover frame it separately etc. mylar hang it.. w/e floats your boat.. 

That aint a shabby idea. I emailed a pro comic restore dude and let him know the situation. He does lots of restoration on old documents and what not and of course some big books like AF15 and what not.

I think I might do the framing. Lots of people make very good points about the splash page being cool, but my big beef is that PGX case and its reputation for such a cool book....

1 minute ago, Ryan Vandal said:

yeah I was just googling and saw this. I haven't seen this before. first for me. 

like I always say, you learn something new each day and I love it.. 

1 minute ago, Ryan Vandal said:

That aint a shabby idea. I emailed a pro comic restore dude and let him know the situation. He does lots of restoration on old documents and what not and of course some big books like AF15 and what not.

I think I might do the framing. Lots of people make very good points about the splash page being cool, but my big beef is that PGX case and its reputation for such a cool book....

well that's where after you remove the remains slab it as is. you get protection and a cool case to look at. it will probably be a NG as I think that's what CGC does for coverless books I think... (don't quote me the NG) 

6 minutes ago, Krismusic said:

well that's where after you remove the remains slab it as is. you get protection and a cool case to look at. it will probably be a NG as I think that's what CGC does for coverless books I think... (don't quote me the NG) 

Yes that is true.... I have lots to think about lol

28 minutes ago, Ryan Vandal said:

Yes that is true.... I have lots to think about lol

And think of this. As it now stands, if you tire of owning this, you have a liquid asset. It can most likely be resold for what you paid.

But consider strongly: This is a PGX slab. Many hobbyists are still unaware that a PGX slab basically equates to Pandora's box. What evils are locked up in that slab will be loosed upon you if and once opened. The potential for disaster is there. This or that missing, brittle/disintegrating paper, crumbling this and that; in my strong opinion, a PGX slab is a pig in the poke. You can't be assured of having a reasonable expectation when you open a PGX slab, concerning how a Pandora's slab will convert to a CGC slab.

My advice is to leave it as is, mount your Action #4 repro cover nearby, for display purposes and let the PGX slab remain as is.