• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is It Worth Submitting This CBCS Verified Signature Book to CGC for Press and Grading??
1 1

25 posts in this topic

Hi everyone. I recently submitted this issue of X-Men #130 for pressing, grading and signature verification to CBCS, and got it back verified (John Byrne signed it on the first page in ink) and graded 9.6. I was hoping for a 9.8 after pressing, but it received the following grading notes:

"signature(s) verified by BAS"
"tiny spine stress front & back cover does not break color"
"few light bends to cover" 

I am thinking of taking the book to a comic con to have it signed by Chris Claremont and witnessed by CGC (which I believe would get a qualified signature series yellow/green label) and then have it repressed and regraded by CCS/CGC. I am hoping that getting a CGC Qualified Signature Series label (Claremont seems to be popular these days) along with a possible grade increase after a CCS pressing (since there are no color breaks and only a few light bends and tiny spine stress) will be worth my trouble. Any thoughts or opinions on the possible wisdom or lunacy of this plan?

scans_20191122_141307_0001.jpg

scans_20191122_141307_0002.jpg

IMG_1460.jpg

IMG_1461.jpg

IMG_1462.jpg

I assume the book is signed on the first page? If so, you'll get a regular Yellow SS label, with the signature noted on the label. You *might* get a label that says ' "John Byrne" written on 1st page in pen." You also might just get "name written on 1st page in pen." It's up to the grader. The signature will not affect the grade, even up to 9.8.

1111822378_xmen139(2).thumb.jpg.fb0ca9576b77aba0503f0d5ff4b089d7.jpg

What are your ultimate goals with regards to the comic? profit? a specific collection goal? display?  dinner party conversation?

Does the turnaround time or the tying up of your money have an impact on your life or decision making?

54 minutes ago, revat said:

What are your ultimate goals with regards to the comic? profit? a specific collection goal? display?  dinner party conversation?

Does the turnaround time or the tying up of your money have an impact on your life or decision making?

Lol, definitely dinner party conversation. But actually, I'd like to be able to sell it eventually, but am not in a rush. It seems that a CGC 9.8 Signature Series copy of this book seems to go for at least $500 more than a 9.6 (not to mention the price bias of CGC over CBCS). I just don't know if having this book signed and authenticated by CGC would fetch me a similar price bump, since it will most likely receive a Qualified SS label at best. Even if it wouldn't sell for as much, I would personally like to get it signed by Claremont and see if re-pressing the book through CGC/CCS would get it to 9.8, and then just keep it for my personal collection.

1 hour ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

I assume the book is signed on the first page? If so, you'll get a regular Yellow SS label, with the signature noted on the label. You *might* get a label that says ' "John Byrne" written on 1st page in pen." You also might just get "name written on 1st page in pen." It's up to the grader. The signature will not affect the grade, even up to 9.8.

1111822378_xmen139(2).thumb.jpg.fb0ca9576b77aba0503f0d5ff4b089d7.jpg

Thanks! I agree that Byrne's signature probably shouldn't reduce the grade, but CGC will certainly give me a qualified label due to the fact that they did not personally witness his signature. Even though it was authenticated by CBCS.

2 minutes ago, DedalusMan said:

Thanks! I agree that Byrne's signature probably shouldn't reduce the grade, but CGC will certainly give me a qualified label due to the fact that they did not personally witness his signature. Even though it was authenticated by CBCS.

You can likely request a non-Qualified SS label. An unwitnessed signature on Page 1 doesn't guarantee a green label.

30 minutes ago, DedalusMan said:

No, that's not the case. See the example above: if the book is signed on the first page, it's a...85%? 95? chance that it won't affect the grade at all, especially if it's a recognizable signature like Byrne's. BUT...and more importantly...that also means you WILL NOT get a Qualified label. You'll get a regular ol' Yellow label, just like the X-Men #139 above.

Now...if the sig was on the front or back covers? Yes, either Qualified, or Yellow with the sig figured into the grade. But on the first page? Nope. You're good.

Edited by RockMyAmadeus

1 minute ago, theCapraAegagrus said:
4 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

What does "signature(s) verified by BAS" mean out of interest? 

Probably "Beckett Authentication Services"?

Ta. Thought it might be the initials of whoever did it. Big Arse Sally, something like that. 

38 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

No, that's not the case. See the example above: if the book is signed on the first page, it's a...85%? 95? chance that it won't affect the grade at all, especially if it's a recognizable signature like Byrne's. BUT...and more importantly...that also means you WILL NOT get a Qualified label. You'll get a regular ol' Yellow label, just like the X-Men #139 above.

Now...if the sig was on the front or back covers? Yes, either Qualified, or Yellow with the sig figured into the grade. But on the first page? Nope. You're good.

OMG I just noticed the X-Men 139 label, lol so you're right! So now I'm really gonna have to get the book signed by Claremont and submit to CGC for SS. But how should I do this? Do I just hand them the CBCS encased book with the red label and ask them to open it up for me so I can have it signed? Is that more or less likely to get me the yellow SS label than taking the book out myself and handing it to them raw? How did you do it (presuming the 139 was your book)?

3 minutes ago, DedalusMan said:

OMG I just noticed the X-Men 139 label, lol so you're right! So now I'm really gonna have to get the book signed by Claremont and submit to CGC for SS. But how should I do this? Do I just hand them the CBCS encased book with the red label and ask them to open it up for me so I can have it signed? Is that more or less likely to get me the yellow SS label than taking the book out myself and handing it to them raw? How did you do it (presuming the 139 was your book)?

I would call or email CGC. They have a crossover service* with discount prices that this may be eligible for. You may need to speak directly to them on how to insure you'll receive a yellow-only label.

Edit: *I'm not entirely sure if the crossover service is still available.

Edited by theCapraAegagrus

2 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

I would call or email CGC. They have a crossover service* with discount prices that this may be eligible for. You may need to speak directly to them on how to insure you'll receive a yellow-only label.

Edit: *I'm not entirely sure if the crossover service is still available.

meh

Nooooooo no no. There is no "crossover" service for anything CBCS does as it relates to signatures, much less for their "authenticated signature" program. 

I realize, having only submitted 2,000 SS books last year, that I'm still a bit of a newb as far as the program goes, so one should definitely double check with CGC. 

:cloud9:

2 hours ago, DedalusMan said:

The book you have, as far as CGC is concerned, is a raw book with a name written on the first page. You can break it out yourself, or you can have them do it for you. Follow the normal CGC Signature Series program rules. Claremont does signings throughout the year; you MUST MUST MUST MUST MUST have the book signed in the presence of a CGC authorized witness, and then you either take the book directly to CGC and turn it in, or use their handy dandy "convention sealed bags" they have now, that are good for a single convention. YOU handle all your books until they're all signed and ready to be turned in to CGC.

The folks at the booth will be able to help you. 

Or....you can find a facilitator who does Claremont signings (though I don't *think* he does private signings.) If he does, you can send your book, CBCS slab and all, to the facilitator, and they'll take it from there (keeping in mind there are fees for every step of the process.)

Remember: never ever ever under ANY circumstances get your book signed without a CGC witness with YOU. Don't assume a witness in line for someone else can also just add you. You have to go to the CGC booth and they'll arrange things for you. Just make sure you have your CGC witness lined up FIRST before you get anything signed...and remember that they have to be AUTHORIZED by CGC...you can't pull Joe Blow out and say he's your witness. Authorized witnesses go through a program and sign affidavits before they can be witnesses.

If you follow the rules, you won't have any problem with getting a yellow Sig Series label. If you don't, then you will not get it. 

Good luck! Here's mine:

s-l1600.jpg

15 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

meh

Nooooooo no no. There is no "crossover" service for anything CBCS does as it relates to signatures, much less for their "authenticated signature" program. 

I realize, having only submitted 2,000 SS books last year, that I'm still a bit of a newb as far as the program goes, so one should definitely double check with CGC. 

:cloud9:

I didn't mean crossover for unauthenticated signatures. Since the OP wants to get an SS book, though, I thought that maybe there's a crossover service for going from CBCS to CGC Witnessed SS.