• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is It Worth Submitting This CBCS Verified Signature Book to CGC for Press and Grading??
1 1

25 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

I didn't mean crossover for unauthenticated signatures. Since the OP wants to get an SS book, though, I thought that maybe there's a crossover service for going from CBCS to CGC Witnessed SS.

That is a giant NO. While CBCS at one time accepted CGC Sig Series, the opposite has never been true, because CBCS does not even come close to maintaining the same standards (and, indeed, I know from personal experience, when "person in charge" Tim Bildhauser offered to yellow label books I was turning in for their "authentication" service on behalf of a client, based solely on the fact that I was associated with someone that Bildhauser knew and trusted. These were books that had been signed God knows how many years in the past, and had passed through God knows how many hands, and yet, because I was with someone Bildhauser trusted, they were willing to "yellow" label them. It was ridiculous.)

In retaliation, CBCS decided to stop allowing Sig Series "crossovers" when CGC developed the convention "bag" system, claiming CGC no longer met CBCS' "rigorous standards" for their signature program. It's one of the many reasons why CBCS is a joke of a company, and the sooner they go out of business, the better. Sadly, it looks like they're around to stay.

There wouldn't be a need for it with this book, in any event.

1 minute ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

That is a giant NO. While CBCS at one time accepted CGC Sig Series, the opposite has never been true, because CBCS does not even come close to maintaining the same standards (and, indeed, I know from personal experience, when "person in charge" Tim Bildhauser offered to yellow label books I was turning in for their "authentication" service on behalf of a client, based solely on the fact that I was associated with someone that Bildhauser knew and trusted. These were books that had been signed God knows how many years in the past, and had passed through God knows how many hands, and yet, because I was with someone Bildhauser trusted, they were willing to "yellow" label them. It was ridiculous.)

In retaliation, CBCS decided to stop allowing Sig Series "crossovers" when CGC developed the convention "bag" system, claiming CGC no longer met CBCS' "rigorous standards" for their signature program. It's one of the many reasons why CBCS is a joke of a company, and the sooner they go out of business, the better. Sadly, it looks like they're around to stay.

There wouldn't be a need for it with this book, in any event.

There's a misunderstanding here.

I am wondering if the OP can receive the crossover discount to:

1. Send the CBCS slab to a facilitator.
  2. Get the comic signed by a CGC witness.
  3. Receive the discount for now having a CGC SS comic, with a notation of "name written on 1st page".

13 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

There's a misunderstanding here.

I am wondering if the OP can receive the crossover discount to:

1. Send the CBCS slab to a facilitator.
  2. Get the comic signed by a CGC witness.
  3. Receive the discount for now having a CGC SS comic, with a notation of "name written on 1st page".

No. The crossover program never applied to the CGC Sig Series program, whether it was yellow to yellow, or unrestored/restored to yellow. The crossover discount only applied to "straight grade" submissions.

I'm pretty sure the crossover program is over, in any event.

Edited by RockMyAmadeus

On 11/22/2019 at 2:53 PM, DedalusMan said:

I am thinking of taking the book to a comic con to have it signed by Chris Claremont and witnessed by CGC....

Well if you see Chris Claremont sign the comic, why do you need someone else to verify what you saw? Are your eyes that bad?

(shrug)

Get the book signed, take it home and live happily ever after. And leave it to someone else to eventually pry the comic from your cold dead fingers.

:wink:

On ‎11‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 1:42 PM, RockMyAmadeus said:

The book you have, as far as CGC is concerned, is a raw book with a name written on the first page. You can break it out yourself, or you can have them do it for you. Follow the normal CGC Signature Series program rules. Claremont does signings throughout the year; you MUST MUST MUST MUST MUST have the book signed in the presence of a CGC authorized witness, and then you either take the book directly to CGC and turn it in, or use their handy dandy "convention sealed bags" they have now, that are good for a single convention. YOU handle all your books until they're all signed and ready to be turned in to CGC.

The folks at the booth will be able to help you. 

Or....you can find a facilitator who does Claremont signings (though I don't *think* he does private signings.) If he does, you can send your book, CBCS slab and all, to the facilitator, and they'll take it from there (keeping in mind there are fees for every step of the process.)

Remember: never ever ever under ANY circumstances get your book signed without a CGC witness with YOU. Don't assume a witness in line for someone else can also just add you. You have to go to the CGC booth and they'll arrange things for you. Just make sure you have your CGC witness lined up FIRST before you get anything signed...and remember that they have to be AUTHORIZED by CGC...you can't pull Joe Blow out and say he's your witness. Authorized witnesses go through a program and sign affidavits before they can be witnesses.

If you follow the rules, you won't have any problem with getting a yellow Sig Series label. If you don't, then you will not get it. 

Good luck! Here's mine:

s-l1600.jpg

+1 

(And for the newbie's further understanding of the difference between a CBCS authentication and a CGC witnessed signature)

Like many others, BAS (Beckett Authentication Service) performs the authentication process of signed comics submitted to CBCS. Even among the best authenticators in the world, it is an opinion rendered about the authenticity of the signature, and thus subjective and subject to the opinion of others.

CGC offers something completely different. A step beyond opinion. A step that removes any subjectivity whatsoever. CGC does not authenticate signatures. CGC signature series autographed material bring a higher price (for that signature) than any authenticating services' comparably signatures because they are witnessed signatures. CGC is in the signature witnessing arena and not in the signature authenticating arena, thus any doubt and contrary opinions of authenticity do not apply. (thumbsu