• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why restore???
1 1

23 posts in this topic

I don’t understand the concept behind comic book restoration.   I’m not talking about preserving very rare books for historical purposes.   I mean color touch, trims, or other means to bump a boom up a grade or two, only to gain that dreaded purple label.  

What is the point?  Does the grade bump with the purple label generally command more than the same book without the restoration work?  

I personally prefer to have books in all their loved imperfections.  Its kind of like plastic surgery after 60.  Everyone can tell what was done and it’s never as good as what would have presented naturally.   

But I’d love to hear arguments or reasons to the contrary!

Some restoration ie sharpies was done back in the day when it wasnt considered bad.  Modern restoration can be used to deceive buyers as by the time it comes back from CGC with purple label it can be too late to open a case or leave feedback.  I cant imagine any knowledgeable seller today saying I think I'll fill in that white speck with a sharpie.

I agree! I wouldn't think to many people would do it on purpose these days, other than for when it comes to presenting the raw book to sell and to deceive....

As @kav said, back in the day some restoration was done before cgc brought a hammer... or until it affected fmv... 

4 minutes ago, Shawngk said:

Auto correct.  It was supposed to say “it would be neat...” 😄

7 hours ago, Ryan. said:

Definitely. 

It we outdoor it would be neat to restore a yellowish page in a book or so. 

:makepoint:

10 minutes ago, dupont2005 said:

I think restoration is mostly done by fraudsters who sell raw, unless the book is completely brittle and falling apart.

Some have been known to buy purple label cheap, crack, list as unrestored raw-

I had an AF15 6.0 PLOD... bought it raw already professionally restored, and sold it for six times what I paid.

WITHOUT the resto... it would probably have been a 0.5.

Not only are 0.5's selling for thousands less than what I sold my book for... my book looked fabulous.

So it can make both financial and aesthetic sense to restore.