• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which of these books for TM signature?
1 1

9 posts in this topic

Looking for everyone’s opinion on which one (I can only afford to have 1 signed) of the following books I should have Todd M sign during his upcoming CGC visit based on potential future value.  Let’s assume each book would achieve a 9.8 grade   

Spider-Man 1 Green Variant (1990 series)

Spider-Man 1 Gold Variant

Spider-Man 13

Spawn 231

Spawn 300 (cover a)

Spawn 300 (Spider-Man 300 Homage)

31 minutes ago, Rayzor13 said:

Looking for everyone’s opinion on which one (I can only afford to have 1 signed) of the following books I should have Todd M sign during his upcoming CGC visit based on potential future value.  Let’s assume each book would achieve a 9.8 grade   

Spider-Man 13

Spawn 231

Spawn 300 (cover a)

I mean this sincerely. If you can only afford one and you need a 9.8 for it to be worth it, I would buy one already signed and slabbed. 

5 minutes ago, Transplant said:
37 minutes ago, Rayzor13 said:

Spider-Man 13

Spawn 231

Spawn 300 (cover a)

I mean this sincerely. If you can only afford one and you need a 9.8 for it to be worth it, I would buy one already signed and slabbed. 

I agree. It's hard to pick for me because this flat rate pricing makes it seem cheap for this Todd signing... and I'd want to send in almost anything because it'd be a one time only deal.

I can still take it to heart that if your wanting it to "work out perfectly" or something, pick already stabbed :foryou:

I'm torn on this, too, and my time is running out. My personal preference right now is McSpidey Gold, although I'd love to spring for Spawn 227 sketch. I've always loved the way the gold ink on McS 1 makes the colors on the costume pop and it's one of Todd's most recognizable pieces of art, up there with ASM 300. One thing I would consider as well is how well a signature will stand out against the art. Busy covers tend to swallow the signature. I think the Spidey 1 green and 13 would both overwhelm the sig. I've been kind of browsing the SS books on the Bay to see what looks good and which ones fail. The silver sigs on the Gold Edition look fantastic. 

:news: I went ahead and bought a Gold off the Bay just now. Apparently I was so compelling in my argument that I convinced myself.

12 minutes ago, Martin Sinescu said:

I'm torn on this, too, and my time is running out. My personal preference right now is McSpidey Gold, although I'd love to spring for Spawn 227 sketch. I've always loved the way the gold ink on McS 1 makes the colors on the costume pop and it's one of Todd's most recognizable pieces of art, up there with ASM 300. One thing I would consider as well is how well a signature will stand out against the art. Busy covers tend to swallow the signature. I think the Spidey 1 green and 13 would both overwhelm the sig. I've been kind of browsing the SS books on the Bay to see what looks good and which ones fail. The silver sigs on the Gold Edition look fantastic. 

:news: I went ahead and bought a Gold off the Bay just now. Apparently I was so compelling in my argument that I convinced myself.

That's hilarious! 

I'm going to tell you what I say when watching the bachelor:

Follow your heart :takeit:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM
Lol :)

2 minutes ago, Rayzor13 said:

Thanks for the input everyone.  I’m still curious about which signed issue would be the best investment in the long run though.  Just to clarify, each book is already slabbed so it wouldn’t make sense to purchase an already signed slab cost wise.  

Sure no worries, I went based off given information. If for certain the risk and cost then go with the gold spidey 1, of the choices listed imo

Spider man 1 1990 is a timeless book. Timeless. It’s value-less raw, and even when in grade. 
E6671BF3-C6B1-4F76-8D0D-1B8656C1C0C9.thumb.jpeg.3cf987bc12b0b9120d8e55af69849103.jpeg
But add a Stan Lee sig to it and it’s a $350 book. Add a Todd sig to it and it’s $250 (again, in grade). 
I’m sure that after this signing event there will be a mini recession for this book because I foresee a flood in the market. But that will change within a short year and rebound. 
for longevity and appreciation values, stick to any version of the mcspidey 1. I’m probably gonna go with 10 copies myself.

side note, I discovered a cool book a couple of years ago “Amazing heroes interviews” #2 which features a cover photo of Mcfarlane from that era.
06DE81EF-25C4-49DC-A02D-C7ADD5563B6B.jpeg.6adfc5c733959da8ca67859032b10d12.jpeg

I bought a few copies and waited for a signing. But then I discovered that all my copies (purchased from different vendors) have rusty staples. 
there are currently 3 copies on the census, all 3 are graded 8.0 and one of which is offered on the bay. 
the graders notes says on all 3 existing copies “rusty centerfold staples”. 
So I guess I’m not submitting those. 
a shame, cause they’re all very nice copies and I guess we’ll never see a 9.8 copy of that book