• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grading Turnarounds and Order of Received

7 posts in this topic

If this has been brought up before then excuse me.

I tried an experiment, none of these were fast-tracked. I sent in a set of 25 moderns pre-screens, to get graded (Oct 14). 10 days later, I sent in a set of 5 and a set of 10 to be graded (Oct 23 and 24 respectively), not pre-screened, but both modern sets. This past week, both of the smaller sets came back (Nov 20 and 19) and the big set is still sitting as 'Received'. So, it appears the smaller sets were selected and graded first. I know that pre-screen is supposed to take longer, which doesn't make sense. If it doesn't make a selected grade, then it should skip the encapsulating phase, making for a faster process, but pre-screening should add a small amount of time at best.

The question is this, shouldn't the orders be started, based on when they arrived at CGC, not in order of size? I'm not saying the larger set would/should be completed before a smaller set, simply because of the size, but I would expect the larger set to be started before the smaller ones.

Now I know the large set could have been started but maybe it hasn't been updated yet, but usually, CGC is good about that.

Any thoughts about this?

PS, of the 15 that have come back, 14 9.8s and one 9.6.

On 11/22/2019 at 9:47 PM, Robert_L said:

If this has been brought up before then excuse me.

I tried an experiment, none of these were fast-tracked. I sent in a set of 25 moderns pre-screens, to get graded (Oct 14). 10 days later, I sent in a set of 5 and a set of 10 to be graded (Oct 23 and 24 respectively), not pre-screened, but both modern sets. This past week, both of the smaller sets came back (Nov 20 and 19) and the big set is still sitting as 'Received'. So, it appears the smaller sets were selected and graded first. I know that pre-screen is supposed to take longer, which doesn't make sense. If it doesn't make a selected grade, then it should skip the encapsulating phase, making for a faster process, but pre-screening should add a small amount of time at best.

The question is this, shouldn't the orders be started, based on when they arrived at CGC, not in order of size? I'm not saying the larger set would/should be completed before a smaller set, simply because of the size, but I would expect the larger set to be started before the smaller ones.

Now I know the large set could have been started but maybe it hasn't been updated yet, but usually, CGC is good about that.

Any thoughts about this?

PS, of the 15 that have come back, 14 9.8s and one 9.6.

This is interesting, and I agree, that they should be processed in order of receipt.

Modern and pre screen moderns are graded in different channels, the non pre screen are graded ahead of pre screen.  This has nothing to do with the size of each order.  Think about it, if you were going to get paid to grade every single book on an order, wouldn't you prioritize those orders and customers.  If someone is picky and wants only certain books graded that pass a pre screen, they are sent to a less priority tier.  

CGC states prescreen adds to the TAT. How long varies over time just like normal TAT does. This summer prescreen was adding over a month to the TAT. Right now they show it as adding a week or so.  If you sent your books in around mid-October, you may have well sent them in at a time prescreen was adding 2-3 weeks to TAT. 

@Topnotchman

The reason I started the experiment is because I sent in a 30 piece set, pre-screened 9.8. Once it arrived they split the set into 25 and 5. The 5 piece was completed 16 days before the rest of the order, given a different submission number (one number off -08/-09), etc.

I would disagree that a Pre-screen should add more time. I am still looking for 9.8. There isn't much of a difference for 9.6 to 9.8+, small but not much. Both orders should go through the same process, with a grader looking at book X Y and Z. Yet once they determine one doesn't make the cut, it would get set aside and time would be saved as it would not require sealing, labeling, and slabbing. Sending them through separate channels would be counterproductive to grading. As the books should be getting graded by a person with only their determined score being the difference. Even still, it would be better if grader knew ahead of time if an order is a pre-sceen request. That would save them time too. As once the grader finds a flaw, or enough flaws, the book can be set aside, job done, next book up, no more grading, and no further paperwork required.

CGC is getting paid to grade each book regardless of it being slabbed. Apparently, slabbing and labeling costs extra over the $5 for one that doesn't make the Pre-screen grade.

21 hours ago, Tony S said:

CGC states prescreen adds to the TAT. How long varies over time just like normal TAT does. This summer prescreen was adding over a month to the TAT. Right now they show it as adding a week or so.  If you sent your books in around mid-October, you may have well sent them in at a time prescreen was adding 2-3 weeks to TAT. 

I understand the turnaround times are listed as longer for Pre-screens. Usually from October until March, the times are usually really good since most of the cons are completed by then.