• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stolen Incredible Hulk #181 CGC 8.5 - New Bedford, MA
4 4

84 posts in this topic

15 minutes ago, Kevin76 said:

Anything over a certain dollar amount I put in the bank, Can you afford $100-200 a year for a safe deposit box?   

My high dollar books are kept secure with insurance.

This book was sold and swapped out for a return and refund. 

Edited by awakeintheashes

1 hour ago, Trifisherjoe said:

Hit all pawn shops in and out of your area, probably sitting in a display case for sale. Maybe you can call you home owners insurance agent?

I’ve been calling around the area. I’m located in Ohio, the person who swapped out the book is located in New Bedford, MA. 

Collectors insurance does not cover voluntary parting induced by fraud. 

It does cover loss or damage by the shipping company after sale, but not fraud. 

Edited by awakeintheashes

10 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

So if we had used comic connect or comiclink  could something like this happen?  or only ebay...

Someone could certainly try the swap and return scam on other comic vendors, but they would be the ones dealing with it, not you as the consignor.  And I would bet they already have practices, and lawyers, in place to deal with would be thieves.

The difference with eBay is they:

1. Don’t ever have possession of the item, so they can claim ignorance.

2. Don’t give a chit as long as their EPS is keeping Wall Street happy.

52 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

Someone could certainly try the swap and return scam on other comic vendors, but they would be the ones dealing with it, not you as the consignor.  And I would bet they already have practices, and lawyers, in place to deal with would be thieves.

So essentially, sell high value comics (over $500)  on comic link or connect even though they charge more fees..

Noted and will keep an eye out.. not sure if I caught the whole story or if you want to share but what happened?

1 hour ago, Wolverinex said:

So essentially, sell high value comics (over $500)  on comic link or connect even though they charge more fees..

In my opinion, absolutely.  And, while I'm not sure about CC's fee structure, selling with anyone like ComicLink who charges a flat 10% commission is actually more advantageous than selling on eBay up to somewhere between $10k and $11k.  fleeBay may cap their fvf at $750, but you also have to account for the PayPal shakedown fee to receive payment.  Whereas CLink is just cutting you a check for your net sale price.

On 11/23/2019 at 7:34 AM, Wolverinex said:
On 11/23/2019 at 6:41 AM, mattn792 said:

Are you sure about this since I thought the standard eBay fee was 10% plus another 3% to cover PayPal, along with the fact that you have to do all of the work yourself when you use eBay?  hm

If you use either CC or CL, I believe it's generally just the 10% fee and they have to do all of the work for you.  (thumbsu

7 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Are you sure about this since I thought the standard eBay fee was 10% plus another 3% to cover PayPal, along with the fact that you have to do all of the work yourself when you use eBay?  hm

If you use either CC or CL, I believe it's generally just the 10% fee and they have to do all of the work for you.  (thumbsu

As well as deal with all the fraud issues?

8 hours ago, Poka said:

How about a name now?

Ryan Smith of New Bedford, MA. 

I am only listing this to make people aware in case they buy/sell on Facebook, Craigslist or any other local-market platform. Please let the police do their job.

2 minutes ago, rsouxlja7 said:

Something I'm always curious about when this happens - does your eBay history matter at all? For example, if you have a high seller rating with 100s of items sold with no problem does eBay weigh that fact when determining the outcome of a case like this? Sorry this happened to you. 

I had that same thought. Knowing the way eBay operates though, I doubt they take credibility into account.

15 minutes ago, rsouxlja7 said:

Something I'm always curious about when this happens - does your eBay history matter at all? For example, if you have a high seller rating with 100s of items sold with no problem does eBay weigh that fact when determining the outcome of a case like this? Sorry this happened to you. 

Nope it does not. According to the person I spoke with in High Value Claims, these incidences are few and far between. I am having trouble believing that, knowing how favorable eBay's policies are to the buyer.

The Northeast Comic Con is being held this weekend in Boxborough Mass, which is not that far from New Bedford. Might be worth contacting the promoter and ask that he have all the dealers be on the look out if this scumbag tries to sell it there. 

https://necomiccons.com/ne-comic-con-info-faq/venue/

Edited by Jeffro.

1 hour ago, Jeffro. said:

The Northeast Comic Con is being held this weekend in Boxborough Mass, which is not that far from New Bedford. Might be worth contacting the promoter and ask that he have all the dealers be on the look out if this scumbag tries to sell it there. 

https://necomiccons.com/ne-comic-con-info-faq/venue/

Thanks! That's a great point. I will give the promoter a call today.