• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stolen Incredible Hulk #181 CGC 8.5 - New Bedford, MA
4 4

84 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Foley said:

Will they do it? No. But I wouldn't agree there's "no possible way they could" if they really wanted to. 

I could be wrong, but I'm assuming when a book is reholdered they would input the cert number somewhere? I'm sure the number could be flagged on their system if they wanted.

Again, I'm not saying it would be practical for them to do this with all the requests they would receive, only that it's probably not impossible like you claim.

You're assuming someone turns in the original certificate.

I was talking about recognizing a stolen book from memory.

So I agree it is possible if they have a way of tracking something like this internally but not likely.

6 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

You're assuming someone turns in the original certificate.

I was talking about recognizing a stolen book from memory.

So I agree it is possible if they have a way of tracking something like this internally but not likely.

Yeah, I thought that's what the OP was requesting.

We're on the same page regarding the book being resubmitted without the original cert, that would be a Sisyphean task indeed.  

5 hours ago, VintageComics said:

I just don't see how CGC could help you.

They literally grade 1000's of books a day.

They probably grade dozens of 181's every month, if not every week.

There's just no possible way they could try to 'keep and eye out' for one book.

Now imagine how many people a year could be asking them to keep track of stolen books. It would be an impossible task for a human.

I had nearly $20K in stolen books go missing 6 months ago and they have yet to turn up.

Just keep looking. Hopefully they show up. Good luck!

I wasn’t expecting them to help me. I was simply covering every base I could. The reason for my post was to serve as an update to those who suggested that I reach out to CGC and to provide information for anyone this happens to in the future. 

4 hours ago, Foley said:

Yeah, I thought that's what the OP was requesting.

We're on the same page regarding the book being resubmitted without the original cert, that would be a Sisyphean task indeed.  

Correct, I was not asking them to keep an eye out for every IH 181. I was only asking if the certification number came through their system. 

Again, I wasn't expecting them to do so, but it was worth a shot.