• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should I invest in limited edition newbies
3 3

24 posts in this topic

As a new collector of new modern age comics, I have noticed that the trend is to release signature artist variant covers with limited issue to say 600 or 1000 worldwide. I would be grateful for any constructive comments, from more experienced collectors, on whether its worth investing in such comics. Thanks

If you are buying comics as an investment then stay away from modern and just go with trusted Gold, Silver and Bronze age books. I see moderns as buy what you like, the variants and exclusives are really just there for choice, most of the time I'm able to pick my favourite artists cover and I buy that but looking at them for investment purposes seems silly.

Sure there are some moderns that go for a decent amount and if you pick them up cheap you might make some profit but honestly just having a job will do the same thing :p too much effort to flip these modern books at least in my eyes.

Some collectors view store exclusives or retailer exclusives as manufactured collectibles (akin to a Bradford Exchange). You may also be referring to incentive variants where a retailer must buy X of something in order to get Y. There are whole atypical speculator markets built up around these books and the price of noob admission is high. 

I'm a collector. If I wasn't collecting comics I would be collecting something else (I do in fact). But I also like when my items appreciate in worth. Set collecting goals. My advice would be to start slow. Something that is fun for you personally, that you attach meaning. And educate yourself on the spec side of the hobby- information advantage, timing markets, access points, etc. 

What are your favorite characters? 

I have noticed that the trend is to release signature artist variant covers with limited issue to say 600 or 1000 worldwide

In some ways these type of exclusives are set up to funnel some of the speculator run-up directly to the artist by eliminating middlemen. These markets are still inefficient however (and profit can be made). 

Edited by oldmilwaukee6er

3 hours ago, Colin Nash said:

As a new collector of new modern age comics, I have noticed that the trend is to release signature artist variant covers with limited issue to say 600 or 1000 worldwide. I would be grateful for any constructive comments, from more experienced collectors, on whether its worth investing in such comics. Thanks

Dont buy into the marketing. Being "limited" is not the same as "total print run". When a webstore mentions a variant being "limited", it means the print run is much higher.Its all marketing gimmicks to sway noobs into buying their variant.

I think in general its tough to make money in this fashion, BUT there have been zillions of these types of things released by now, and I'm sure some people have found ways to make money.  So plenty of sample size if you want to spend your time and energy doing your own research.

The problem I see it as someone who hates trying to time markets is that the market for this stuff is very fickle. Some hit a nerve with collectors and become $500, $1000 books, but many do not and you risk paying decent coin for something that settles down to $15 or whatever. If your goal is to not lose money you need to watch this stuff lime a hawk and it can be stress. More established, vintage stuff, not as much, but there are flavors of the month there too. Unless whatever movie is a huge success I don't see Eternals 1, for example, maintaining its current status. We've already seen MS. Marvel slide. So even older stuff is not immune. With that said, whoever paid $15 for this variant when it came out did alright, for example (ok. Not a signed limited)

20191019_154615_HDR.jpg

Edited by the blob

Wow. Thanks guys. There's some great feedback here. A real eye opener for sure. I can go forward with a better perspective on my collecting habits. I only buy new age comics that I really like the look of and tend to focus on the Silver Age Characters I know and love, but with a few cool exceptions, of course.

Thanks

It really comes down to what you want.

The only thing I can add is that your buying habits are - as with us all - determined by background, exposure to comics, socio-economics etc. For example, I collect and read e-comic versions of classic tried and true runs, and will only bother with Moderns if the consensus is overwhelmly positive. The physical copies I own are all investment items from the Silver and Bronze Age. So, I straddle both worlds as a collector and investor. That, however, may not be right for you.

If you would like some investment advice many here could help.

On 11/23/2019 at 6:05 AM, oldmilwaukee6er said:

Some collectors view store exclusives or retailer exclusives as manufactured collectibles (akin to a Bradford Exchange).

I know what you mean on the Bradford Exchange, my parents got caught up with that company and bought a lot of now useless "collectibles".

4 hours ago, Santos208 said:

Simply put no. Store varitants will NEVER appreciate.

Well...they can and usually do appreciate short term, but despite the gain will depreciate. There is the rare exception to the rule (eg. ASM #667) but this is, as stated, rare.

My advice? Pick a high grade copy of an ASM you really like that will appreciate, and talk to a dealer about a payment plan.

8 hours ago, World Devourer said:

No one is expecting CGR to appear in the MCU, that is not the reason why this book is money. The reason is collectible is because CGR has a following, and Cates has a bigger following. A Cates creation will always be a modern collectible. Thanos #13 will never drop below $50 in NM shape, not a bad investment to collectors who bought in early at cover price.