• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Printing Defect Or Faded Cover???

21 posts in this topic

I graded this book 5 years ago and just "assumed" the cover was faded.

Now that my Son is selling his books I am regrading them and I am having second thoughts on the cover being faded.

The reason I am skeptical of the cover being faded is that all of the Blacks are normal and the words "The" and "All-Different" are blotted out, the blotting out is part of the paper and appears to be intentional.

Here are pics of the book as it should look and my book, opinions?

1095985.jpg

thumbnail.jpg

thumbnail (2).jpg

thumbnail (3).jpg

27 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

This is a good example of why they always advise storing comics in a cool, dark environment...

Signatures too. The ink from signatures, not just pens, but Sharpies and other felt tips too, can fade right out of existence on 8X10s, posters, record albums, baseballs, etc., and not only due to direct sunlight, but I've seen pictures mounted on walls, baseballs displayed in illuminated display cabinets, and the like, from too close and too direct heat and light. Even fluorescent light can cause this to an alarming degree.

There are archival frames especially made with glass that is resistant to transferring the damaging effect of light and heat on inks. Before displaying any materials of this heat and light sensitive nature, care should be exercised in procuring the type of display elements that will not compromise your items of value.

otherwise, cool and dark in an environment with low humidity is the way to go! (thumbsu  

Squirreled away will also eliminate 95% of the circumstances that lead to loss and theft (unless you use a storage facility, which in many cases both encourages and facilitates theft)  

Edited by James J Johnson

2 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

Signatures too. The ink from signatures, not just pens, but Sharpies and other felt tips too, can fade right out of existence on 8X10s, posters, record albums, baseballs, etc., and not only due to direct sunlight, but I've seen pictures mounted on walls, baseballs displayed in illuminated display cabinets, and the like, from too close and too direct heat and light. Even fluorescent light can cause this to an alarming degree.

There are archival frames especially made with glass that is resistant to transferring the damaging effect of light and heat on inks. Before displaying any materials of this heat and light sensitive materials, care should be exercised in procuring the type of display elements that will not compromise your items of value.

otherwise, cool and dark with low humidity is the way to go! Squirreled away will also eliminate 95% of the circumstances that lead to loss and theft (unless you use a storage facility, which in many cases both encourages and facilitates theft (thumbsu

Great advice, JJJ...

Yup if the back cover is the same way then when this printed the Yellow and or Red plate dropped out-- if the back cover is normal color then the book sat in a window for a little while.
The Fantastic Four #110 Green Error is an example of the wrong plate being used.

FantasticFour110Variants.jpg

In yours, if it's not sun faded then the plate was skipped or the ink ran out.

2 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Can we see the back cover? That's usually the give away, if it has full colour. 

Based on how the green here has been affected, as it should by strong light exposure, to a lesser degree than reds and yellows (and pinks), muting from an electric green to a very pale hue, that in and of itself indicates something other than a plate/ink production problem. I expect the back cover to show normal coloration based on what I'm seeing on the front, primarily due to the effect on the green as well.

2 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

Based on how the green here has been affected, as it should by strong light exposure, to a lesser degree than reds and yellows (and pinks), muting from an electric green to a very pale hue, that in and of itself indicates something other than a plate/ink production problem. I expect the back cover to show normal coloration based on what I'm seeing on the front, primarily due to the effect on the green as well.

What he said. 

40 minutes ago, AndyFish said:

Yup if the back cover is the same way then when this printed the Yellow and or Red plate dropped out-- if the back cover is normal color then the book sat in a window for a little while.
The Fantastic Four #110 Green Error is an example of the wrong plate being used.

FantasticFour110Variants.jpg

In yours, if it's not sun faded then the plate was skipped or the ink ran out.

The red and blue plates were put on the wrong cylinders of each other, no such thing as a "Skipped Plate"  Ink fountains didn't run out of ink cause all 4 colors are present.  

Edited by Kevin76

The book is seriously faded from light exposure, there is no doubt in my mind. The red inks go first, then the yellows, then the greens, and finally the blues if bleached out long enough. The blacks largely sustain their contrast. 

On 11/23/2019 at 2:33 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

Can we see the back cover? That's usually the give away, if it has full colour. 

I agree with the cover being faded, just wanted to be sure, Thanks for all of the replies!!!

And for those that are/were interested in my back cover...

thumbnail (1).jpg

On 11/24/2019 at 7:56 PM, BlowUpTheMoon said:

that was a sad thread to visit and my eyes hurt and head hurts from looking at all those faded comics.. :(

On 11/28/2019 at 1:45 PM, Krismusic said:

that was a sad thread to visit and my eyes hurt and head hurts from looking at all those faded comics.. :(

We probably bought that book at a show 10 - 15 years ago to fill a hole in our X-Men run of 94 - 150 and at the time probably did not even realize the cover was faded not knowing what the original looked like.

I do not know what we paid but we were looking to fill runs on a budget, so probably not a lot and that is why we bought it.