• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How comics broke Alan Moore's heart
3 3

72 posts in this topic

*spoiler alert* 

Spoiler

Bruce willis is a shrink seeing a child client who see's dead people, creepy things happen and it turns out bruce willis was dead the whole time........................nevermind thats the sixth sense..............sorry I got nothin.

4 minutes ago, unclezebo said:

*spoiler alert* 

Hide contents

Bruce willis is a shrink seeing a child client who see's dead people, creepy things happen and it turns out bruce willis was dead the whole time........................nevermind thats the sixth sense..............sorry I got nothin.

Gonna just chalk this one down to Moore still ****hurt, still hasnt seen Watchmen movie-

39 minutes ago, kav said:

I only like 4 of Moore's offerings: watchmen, miracleman, Promethea (could have done without naming super group the 'five swell guys' tho)  and Top Ten.  The rest of his stuff bores me to tears.

Swamp Thing?  V for Vendetta?  

Watchmen and Miracleman are classics, to be sure.  Promethea was pretty good, but not in the same class as the rest.  Top 10 was fun as was LOEG.  

Swamp Thing was sublime.  Nothing like it (before or) when it came out .  And V was/is still pretty strong (even if it's a bit dated); although I'll attribute some of that to David Lloyd's gorgeous artwork.  

2 minutes ago, chrisco37 said:

Swamp Thing?  V for Vendetta?  

Watchmen and Miracleman are classics, to be sure.  Promethea was pretty good, but not in the same class as the rest.  Top 10 was fun as was LOEG.  

Swamp Thing was sublime.  Nothing like it (before or) when it came out .  And V was/is still pretty strong (even if it's a bit dated); although I'll attribute some of that to David Lloyd's gorgeous artwork.  

I know it's heresy but his swamp thingy and Vendetta bored me speechless.

In all actuality I can understand where he's coming from, after reading and loving comics and superheroes for so long and seeing jack kirby getting the shaft and then creating all these stories for the big companies to see what he perceives  the same thing happining to him. It leaves a bad taste in his mouth and makes it feel like he misplaced his passion. Whether you put fault on Moore or on Dc/Marve,l I can understand from his point he feels resentment/heartbreak.

Edited by unclezebo

1 minute ago, unclezebo said:

In all actuality I can understand where he's coming from, after reading and loving comics and superheroes for so long and seeing jack kirby getting the shaft and then creating all these stories for the big companies to see what he perceives  the same thing happining to him. It leaves a bad taste in his mouth and makes it feel like he misplaced his passion. Whether you put fault on Moore or on Dc/Marvel I can understand from his point he feels resentment/heartbreak.

He needs to remember there are plenty of Alan Moores and unknown geniuses in every artistic field and be grateful he got to contribute so much.  And stop the whining.

The only work of his that I don’t like is From Hell.  I didn’t read it under ideal conditions, as I had full-blown chicken pox at the time.  Both the story and art felt much too bleak and depressing for me.

Just now, Ken Aldred said:

The only work of his that I don’t like is From Hell.  I didn’t read it under ideal conditions, as I had full-blown chicken pox at the time.  Both the story and art felt much too bleak and depressing for me.

I bet! :whatthe: 

1 minute ago, Ken Aldred said:

He was riding the 'angst' wave in comics which still continues to this day and is a pox on the artform IMO.

Just now, kav said:

He was riding the 'angst' wave in comics which still continues to this day and is a pox on the artform IMO.

has "moody" or "brooding" become it's own category? as say the "horror" genre is? There is a mix of it everywhere :) 

Maybe there is just a time and place for e'rytaannnng........ now I'm thirsty!

I can enjoy a GOOD snarky story though, but as with everything, has to have substance ;) 

Im sure it happens in every entertainment medium. I wonder how many  screenwriters write a -script and love it, they think the ending closes the circle and puts the story to rest on a final note. The movie makes money............and BOOM heres a sequel with a different writer that in their opinion destroys the original material. It just happens not many people pay attention to screenwriters. Even as comic fans how many times have we seen a new story arc and ask why are they making another run at this arc, its over and the ending was perfect?

2 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

But that was kinda the point of the book, no?  

It was a bit of a slog to get thru, but I'd recommend you re-visit it if only for the artwork.  And not even the main story stuff, just to check out the backgrounds/settings.  Campbell drew some stuff that's almost on par with Gerhard's contributions on Cerebus.  Some amazing architecture going on "behind the scenes".  I really think you would enjoy that aspect of it.  

4 minutes ago, unclezebo said:

Im sure it happens in every entertainment medium. I wonder how many  screenwriters write a --script and love it, they think the ending closes the circle and puts the story to rest on a final note. The movie makes money............and BOOM heres a sequel with a different writer that in their opinion destroys the original material. It just happens not many people pay attention to screenwriters. Even as comic fans how many times have we seen a new story arc and ask why are they making another run at this arc, its over and the ending was perfect?

Last Action Hero was a great -script-got immediate attention and green light from Hollywood.  Then Arnold and others starting sticking their fingers in it with "I want this and I think we should do that-".  Final result was a complete disaster.

48 minutes ago, unclezebo said:

In all actuality I can understand where he's coming from, after reading and loving comics and superheroes for so long and seeing jack kirby getting the shaft and then creating all these stories for the big companies to see what he perceives  the same thing happining to him. It leaves a bad taste in his mouth and makes it feel like he misplaced his passion. Whether you put fault on Moore or on Dc/Marve,l I can understand from his point he feels resentment/heartbreak.

I don’t disagree with Moore but by then he should have known. Indy publishers existed at the time and some boasted some good talent and some envelope pushing content, but probably couldn’t offer the payday DC did. Long term, if he had went through Eclipse and kept publishing rights, he’d be set today. Or maybe there’d have never been movie and TV deals. Or maybe the movie rights would have been sold in the 90’s for a pittance and the movie would be an embarrassment, who knows

4 hours ago, kav said:

I only like 4 of Moore's offerings: watchmen, miracleman, Promethea (could have done without naming super group the 'five swell guys' tho)  and Top Ten.  The rest of his stuff bores me to tears.

Hey, that's 4 more than I like.