• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does your significant other approve/understand your passion for OA?

47 posts in this topic

I try to have a conversation about collecting with my wife and I lose her in the first 30 seconds. Also, I have a piece hanging in my office that cost a decent amount of money...and she knows that...so she will stare at it with disdain every time she enters my office. 

Edited by Blastaar

My wife doesn’t ask about it. I try to keep OA out of our conversations but it will come up if I, say, have to go to a con or it’s on a need to know basis. She knows it’s my thing. Also, I don’t spend any of our money on it; my hobbies fund themselves, so there’s no stink eye in return; although she may think there’s a lot more things that that money would be better spent on. 

1 hour ago, Blastaar said:

I try to have a conversation about collecting with my wife and I lose her in the first 30 seconds.

Same here. The old legs aint what they used to be though, so I'm sure one of these days she'll catch me up and stop me buying it. 

1 hour ago, Blastaar said:

I try to have a conversation about collecting with my wife and I lose her in the first 30 seconds. Also, I have a piece hanging in my office that cost a decent amount of money...and she knows that...so she will stare at it with disdain every time she enters my office. 

My other half is as supportive as possible, but she finds all the "black and white pictures" boring. She did, however, like the "Brenda Star" strip and portrait I bought her (which was in color), as well as the sketch I had Amy Reeder do of her a few years ago. That's a hint.

I would suggest that instead of trying to talk to her, have her join in aspects of the hobby she might like.

My other half liked the Conn. con because it was at Mohegan Sun where the shopping was good.

No issues, she's very supportive, but relatively speaking, I spend peanuts and focus on keeping it in check.

I'd be real surprised if most didn't find the level of pushback proportionate to how well or poorly they manage to keep within their means - or are we really looking for real tales of horror with this thread?

Now to just wait for a similar thread asking female collectors if their husbands hate it (I'll be waiting awhile I think).

My fiancé said I need approval to hang paintings outside of the nerd room/den area...but considering she specifically asked the butt naked Wolverine Weapon X by Boris Vallejo from the 96 Marvel Masterpieces set be hung in our bed room, I think I’ll have a pretty long leash on what I can get away with.

4 hours ago, Blastaar said:

My wife totally understands and approves . . . especially when it comes to selling art.  I just sent a five-figure payment off last Monday for a piece of artwork I'm buying and her response was, "That's sounds like a good deal."  Seriously!  She trusts my judgement as over the years we've been together she knows I know what I'm doing.

My wife used to set up with me at comic book shows and sports card shows back in the early 2000’s. She collected basketball cards in the 90s during middle school so my collecting made total sense to her.

She and my kids know as much about comic art as many actual collectors. She really likes Sienkiewicz New Mutants because it’s closer to fine art without looking as chaotic/forced like his older work. She also likes early Bernie Wrightson with that brush look. My daughters just like Parobeck I believe, but their pretty young and like DC superhero girls so I think it’s just the style.

In 21 years together she has never once questioned an art purchase, and likes to help me package up art when I sell a piece. She is shocked though how much prices have gone up since we first got together.

She is still my best friend after 20 years. I don’t tend to talk about her or anything personal but F it the question was asked and I’ll throw down for her anytime.

Knock on wood - everything is on even keel. I use my own money and it is understood that I will provide adequately for the family. On the kids’ floor I started hanging commissions with the kids in them and used that as a gateway mechanism to very discretely intro OCA into some other areas. She is not disinterested, she simply doesn’t have the same level of interest. It is my thing. I’ll show her pieces I think she’ll enjoy and I’ve gifted her a few (Mindy Lee Catwoman and I commissioned an artist [the original] to reproduce her favorite book cover with her in it). One of the Vader and Daughter pieces hangs in our dressing room. And she definitely likes to hear about successful flips, even though I don’t sell often. She actually gifted me one of my first serious pieces of OA, and just today surprised me with some cushions for my ongoing den renovation. So overall I’m pretty lucky, and I definitely try to maintain boundaries. She also has no idea how much the Watchmen page hanging in my den cost. Sometimes, ignorance is bliss. 

A292BB8C-DC2B-49FB-9FF3-3B43472D96B7.jpeg

75C4DBAA-BE36-48F4-96A4-AB1DCAAEB93C.jpeg

The art  hangs in the home office... my wife wouldn't want it hanging anywhere else in the house, and,  frankly, I agree. So in that respect we are in the same wavelength. 

She asked me once about how much I'd spent on some preliminary art, the answer didn't make her happy. She felt it was good money waisted on art she didn't like.  Subsequently, a year later,  sold the  prelim art - for more.  That seemed to temper her reaction over new art that made its way into the house.  The hobby isn't necessarily a sunk cost. 

We are very middle class, and my collecting has always reflected that.

Any purchase is made with the understanding that it is not impulsive,

and should at least hold its value, keeping pace with inflation.

Naturally, that leads to an excess of caution, but

it also means less conflict with my wife around my hobby.

She is a fine artist herself... Julie's website link

and she understands pricing, and fluctuation, so that 

is a real bonus when the topic comes up .

Whenever I have sold, though, I still get this...

"Got any more like that kicking around?"

Hi to Julie, David

1 minute ago, aokartman said:

We are very middle class, and my collecting has always reflected that.

Any purchase is made with the understanding that it is not impulsive,

and should at least hold its value, keeping pace with inflation.

Naturally, that leads to an excess of caution, but

it also means less conflict with my wife around my hobby.

She is a fine artist herself... Julie's website link

and she understands pricing, and fluctuation, so that 

is a real bonus when the topic comes up .

Whenever I have sold, though, I still get this...

"Got any more like that kicking around?"

Hi to Julie, David

The first I can understand about impulse buying. The second gets into speculation. Should just buy what you like don't worry about future values.