• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So bad they're good Facebook comic book groups

9 posts in this topic

Somebody brought up comic book Facebook groups on a thread somewhere, going as far to say the groups are kinda destroying the hobby. Being bored on set between takes, I'm always game to float around these groups and chuckle at the nonsense. The ones I see are pretty ho hum with  no chest pumping quality over quantiy never read a comic in your life kinda places. 

Suggestions?

I am on a bunch. I don't get much out of them. I bought one book. It was fine. I had a deal selling a couple, but was ghosted. The discussions are not so informative.

Edited by the blob

I tried two Spawn groups. One I left because it was buy / sell and the mod was heavy handed. The other one has been good, more fanboy related content. It gives me good information on variants and an appreciation for the comic's fans in Central & S. America. I have to be careful because it can really stir up FOMO with expensive variants. My other 3 are mostly underground comix related and they've been meh. 

All of these Fb groups serve to fill my newsfeed with better content than old acquaintances, co-workers and relatives. lol  It's kinda like - a bad day on the golf course... 

Edited by oldmilwaukee6er

first post I read someone was trying to sell the Fantasy Masterpiece reprint of Silver Surfer #1 for $500.00. "Recent sales have it around $47,000 but I'll let it go for $500." It was in minty condition, tho. It took close to 68 comments before seller understood it was a reprint. "Well how do YOU know," he/she would respond. "DO NOT EVEN TRY TO RIP ME OFF!"

Edited by NoMan

6 minutes ago, NoMan said:

first post I read someone was trying to sell the Fantasy Masterpiece reprint of Silver Surfer #1 for $500.00. "Recent sales have it around $47,000 but I'll let it go for $500." It was in minty condition, tho. It took close to 68 comments before seller understood it was a reprint. "Well how do YOU know," he/she would respond. "DO NOT EVEN TRY TO RIP ME OFF!"

Yes, there is a fair amount of delusion among a sub-group of members. And another (large ) sub-group seems to think that Facebook is the place where you ask for 150-300% of ebay prices. They just think ebay is too cheap and this is what their stuff is worth. I don't think they are as delusional as the $47,000 guy, they just think they can get prime retailer pricing or think mile high actually sells books at those prices.