• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic Book Creators Featuring Themselves in Comics

50 posts in this topic

There is a long history in the GA of comics of comic book creators featuring themselves and their fellow creators within the comics they created.

Many are on the covers such as Stan Lee on the cover of Black Rider #8, Jack Kirby on the cover of Headline #37 and even Don Rico's classic cover for Chessler of Punch #13 featuring 4 Chessler staff members on the headstone in the grave yard...

comblackrider8.jpg

comheadline37crippen.jpg

compunch13.jpg

Then, for those of us fortunate to actually be able to look inside our books, there are more...

Let's start with my favorite publisher, EC

Tales from the Crypt #31 has a classic Jack Kamen tale, "Kamen's Kalamity" that prominently features Bill Gaines and Al Feldstein.

comtalesfromthecrypt31a.jpg

comtalesfromthecrypt31b.jpg

comtalesfromthecrypt31c.jpg

Over at Marvel Atlas, Stan Lee and Dan Decarlo often made appearances. First Lee appearance I can think of is in Margie #36 where Margie goes to the Marvel offices to complain about here portrayal in her book. What does Stan do? He takes the teenage Margie to the Stork Nightclub for drinks and smoking. Many prominent movie stars are also featured...

commargie36a.jpg

commargie36b.jpg

commargie36c.jpg

commargie36d.jpg

The usual 3 “L’s”, lookers, likers and lurkers eh? OK, I’ll give you one more then hang out until I see a few more. 

There is a certain Marvel Mystery #32 I think. Anybody got a raw copy? I don’t but would love to see it. 

Georgie #6. Georgie visits the Timely offices. Can anybody identify the Timely staffers pictured? 

9349B8C2-8C26-4269-90BF-7DD524D149A8.jpeg

CCA86217-7A7A-467D-9B10-BF9956118EBF.jpeg

79BB0522-8BB2-487F-9F8B-0A6B008E49F0.jpeg

There are a number of creators who drew themselves into Timely funny animal comics.  Evidently Vince Fago held the editorial reins lightly.

3 hours ago, AJD said:

Carl Barks drew himself into a wanted poster in a Christmas Parade issue.

image.jpeg.173ead39de6c87ad524bc3305f7b20d1.jpeg

He also lampooned himself in an Olympics story. And Walt Kelly had a dig at Barks' failed chicken farming attempt on this cover:

large.5972a60486940_wdcs_078.jpg.87fc6dd61e4e58dd44ccd47f65068b49.jpg

Good ones. Disney artists were never allowed to sign their names to their art. I know Barks was a clever guy though. Never noticed that WDCS cover. Surprised it made it past the eagle eye of Walt. There is also a censored panel of Donald in a grocery store with a wall of "Barks Dog Food" I believe.

21 hours ago, Robot Man said:

There is a long history in the GA of comics of comic book creators featuring themselves and their fellow creators within the comics they created.

Many are on the covers such as Stan Lee on the cover of Black Rider #8, Jack Kirby on the cover of Headline #37 and even Don Rico's classic cover for Chessler of Punch #13 featuring 4 Chessler staff members on the headstone in the grave yard...

comblackrider8.jpg

comheadline37crippen.jpg

compunch13.jpg

I find it difficult to look at either of the photo covers without laughing, not because Stan Lee and Jack Kirby are posing, but because it’s so obvious that the revolvers used in both photos are kid’s cap-pistols, the grips are just too small for adult hands.   lol