• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mcs and pulps
1 1

33 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, Bookery said:

You can find out soon enough.  Based on recent communication with Heritage, the new pulp guide should be out early next year.

I have almost all of the Captain Future ones.  Both his own title and in Startling.  This is my favorite cover, both due to Joan Randall's Space Police uniform and because the scene is an actual scene from the story.

Image result for captain future days of creation

6 minutes ago, kav said:

I have almost all of the Captain Future ones.  Both his own title and in Startling.  This is my favorite cover, both due to Joan Randall's Space Police uniform and because the scene is an actual scene from the story.

Image result for captain future days of creation

Possible point of interest,  "Brett Sterling" is a house pseudonym.  Famed sf author Edmond Hamilton wrote all but three of the Captain Future novels (he also wrote lots of comic book stories for DC).  However, this is one of those three... penned by Joseph Samachson.

2 minutes ago, Bookery said:

Possible point of interest,  "Brett Sterling" is a house pseudonym.  Famed sf author Edmond Hamilton wrote all but three of the Captain Future novels (he also wrote lots of comic book stories for DC).  However, this is one of those three... penned by Joseph Samachson.

Yep.

2 minutes ago, Bookery said:

In fact he used the same plot in One cap future story where they were stranded on asteroid and built a spaceship from scratch, and this story where powerless Superman builds giant robot from scratch to hurl him into another solar system:

Image result for super man super weakling

"Eando Binder" was Earl and Otto Binder too.  

6 minutes ago, Bookery said:

Wait I just reread your post-Thanks for that info!  I had always thought Hamilton wrote that one-my very first captain future story I ever read my girlfriend in 5th grade bought the paperback for me for christmas present.  Paperback title was "The Tenth Planet".  I had thought that was the only Captain Future story until one day when I was in 7th grade I saw a bunch of paperbacks in B Dalton bookstore-I was amazed.  

4 minutes ago, kav said:

Wait I just reread your post-Thanks for that info!  I had always thought Hamilton wrote that one-my very first captain future story I ever read my girlfriend in 5th grade bought the paperback for me for christmas present.  Paperback title was "The Tenth Planet".  I had thought that was the only Captain Future story until one day when I was in 7th grade I saw a bunch of paperbacks in B Dalton bookstore-I was amazed.  

"the Tenth Planet" is by Samachson, while "Solar Invasion" is by Manly Wade Wellman.  All of the other paperbacks are by Edmond Hamilton.  There were 17 Captain Future novels in the pulps, but not all of them were released in paperback form (8 or 9? I'd have to look it up).

3 minutes ago, Bookery said:

"the Tenth Planet" is by Samachson, while "Solar Invasion" is by Manly Wade Wellman.  All of the other paperbacks are by Edmond Hamilton.  There were 17 Captain Future novels in the pulps, but not all of them were released in paperback form (8 or 9? I'd have to look it up).

Yep I had to buy several pulps in order to read all the captain future stories.  Side note-the paperbacks are very fragile and tend to split apart.  There is also an Anime Captain Future series.

Great thread....  I've always loved these early pulps and the amazing artwork and subject matter. I only own this 1923 (vol 151 #2) Burroughs "The Moon Maid"...crumby condition, but complete. Apologies for the quick,crumby photo.

IMG_2091.jpg

3 hours ago, Bookery said:

You can find out soon enough.  Based on recent communication with Heritage, the new pulp guide should be out early next year.

Seems like pulps are very up and coming. I always knew they would sooner or later. Without a price guide, slabbing/graded or Photo Journal book, many are leery about dabbling there. I have bought them for years. It appears a lot of deep pocketed comic collectors are starting to stock up as well. I always say “If this pulp cover were on a comic book, what would it go for?”. Looks like I might soon fibd out...

3 hours ago, kav said:

You had a girlfriend in 5th grade Kav? One that bought you stuff too? Wow, dude you were a “player”. I was still building Rat Fink models, reading comics and riding my Sting Ray in those days...:insane:

Just now, Robot Man said:

You had a girlfriend in 5th grade Kav? One that bought you stuff too? Wow, dude you were a “player”. I was still building Rat Fink models, reading comics and riding my Sting Ray in those days...:insane:

I know I always liked girls.  Even when i took ballet as an adult people would go wtf I would say I like being around girls.  (plus I liked dancing and performing) Got several GFs there too.  Never a fan of being in sweaty locker room with dudes.