• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How can I fix this?
1 1

38 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, kav said:

Not recommending or advising or anything as that can get people in hot water but I have flattened such by putting in bags and boards, stacking, and putting 50 pounds of books over them fold side down for 6 mo.

Isn't that a $2-3 book after you press it into a 9.2? Anyway, I have gotten rid of minor stuff lime this exactly this way. I put it in a bag and board and put aboard over the cover too. I place the comic under 2 full heavy magazine boxes. 6-24 months later it is flat. Magic. I would not do this with an expensive book.

On ‎11‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 6:45 PM, cigars&comix said:

these were basically unread books from a storage lot. they were stacked poorly and in a master bag not individually. owner told me they would just buy books and not even bother reading them.

What typically causes this is storing comics in side by side piles in boxes, crates, or shelving that isn't wide enough to accommodate the piles laying flat. Without sufficient space, left to right, the comics from each pile crowd each other, overlapping at the edges, and curling the edges upward.

Edited by James J Johnson

1 hour ago, James J Johnson said:

What typically causes this is storing comics in side by side piles in boxes, crates, or shelving that isn't wide enough to accommodate the piles laying flat. Without sufficient space, left to right, the comics from each pile crowd each other, overlapping at the edges, and curling the edges upward.

I always place my comics one at a time in the center of empty room, to prevent this.

10 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

What if the ghost of Edgar Allen Poe visits and this happens?

walls.gif

That actually did happen to my AF 16.  Had to call the Warrens.

image.jpeg.734295a72c26f21c862239578c785c8b.jpeg

On 11/24/2019 at 2:14 AM, kav said:

but I have flattened such by putting in bags and boards, stacking, and putting 50 pounds of books over them fold side down for 6 mo.

Crude but effective.

As a hardcover collector it's easy for me at this stage to put together the required load to do some flattening out.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 11/23/2019 at 8:52 PM, cigars&comix said:

I have a lot of $2-3 books that have this full length fold towards the spine. If not for this these books would be NM 9.2 range. I know a pressing will take it out but I dont wanna spend $10-20 on a $2 book.

Any DIY solutions for this?

PS- And what is this defect called? Its not really a spine roll because the spine is actually fine. and Its not a crease by my definition...

fold 2.jpg

fold1.jpg

20191123_205017.jpg

Bust out the iron. With inexpensive books such as these you can just iron it w/o steam thru a piece of parchment paper, then place it between two heavy books. Just be careful because you can easily destroy your book.

Most would worn against this, but with simple bends and roles it is a pretty easy DIY fix.

21 hours ago, cigars&comix said:

Thanks all - I just fixed most of them by watching a few youtube videos using iron at home with some parchment paper. took about 3-5 minutes a book. 

Looks like my advice is a little bit late. I've done this plenty of times. I even posted a thread covering this a while back, to the ridicule of many a boardie. But it does work, and I'm glad someone else was able to use this technique.

10 minutes ago, HuddyBee said:

Looks like my advice is a little bit late. I've done this plenty of times. I even posted a thread covering this a while back, to the ridicule of many a boardie. But it does work, and I'm glad someone else was able to use this technique.

Yup @HuddyBee- there was no way I was waiting 6 months or 1 month or 1 day to press a comic. I also insert white backing boards in a few spots, no steam, leave it under some books for 5-10 minutes tops piled opposite direction. Does the job. And yes the ridicule and immature comments by a few boardies seems to come with the territory on any type of post.

On 11/23/2019 at 7:13 PM, dupont2005 said:
On 11/23/2019 at 6:17 PM, cigars&comix said:

6 months? :facepalm:

Yeah, it takes a while but it works

Yes, 6 months..............isn't this the standard turnaround time for CCS when you send your books in for pressing?  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:  lol

On 11/23/2019 at 7:52 PM, cigars&comix said:

I have a lot of $2-3 books that have this full length fold towards the spine. If not for this these books would be NM 9.2 range. I know a pressing will take it out but I dont wanna spend $10-20 on a $2 book.

Any DIY solutions for this?

PS- And what is this defect called? Its not really a spine roll 

20191123_205017.jpg

On 11/23/2019 at 8:36 PM, kav said:

Technically I dont think this is spine roll but some book curvature or something.  Actual spine roll is right at the spine.  

Screenshot 2019-11-23 at 6.36.17 PM.png

On 11/23/2019 at 8:41 PM, kav said:

No because the roll is in the wrong direction.  If I had to guess I would say it comes from stacking poorly then humidity and heat.

These don't appear to be in opposite directions, but I've never had one that is as severe as kavs to look at up close....

Definitely learning though....

I know CGC will put in graders notes, "severe spine roll" or just "slight spine roll".... the term "stacking curl" is new to me, is my point :shy: 

I currently have a NM copy of Batman #609 at CGC right now, that I thought had a slight spine roll, now maybe it is a stacking curl?

I don't recall which way the bend was, I assume that it affects the grade in the same way though :foryou: ?

SO I'll hopefully learn how to grade such when it comes back! :headbang: 

On 11/24/2019 at 10:41 PM, cigars&comix said:

Thanks all - I just fixed most of them by watching a few youtube videos using iron at home with some parchment paper. took about 3-5 minutes a book. 

Will you disclose the restoration when you sell them?:baiting: