• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How can I fix this?
1 1

38 posts in this topic

I have a lot of $2-3 books that have this full length fold towards the spine. If not for this these books would be NM 9.2 range. I know a pressing will take it out but I dont wanna spend $10-20 on a $2 book.

Any DIY solutions for this?

PS- And what is this defect called? Its not really a spine roll because the spine is actually fine. and Its not a crease by my definition...

fold 2.jpg

fold1.jpg

20191123_205017.jpg

19 minutes ago, cigars&comix said:

I have a lot of $2-3 books that have this full length fold towards the spine. If not for this these books would be NM 9.2 range. I know a pressing will take it out but I dont wanna spend $10-20 on a $2 book.

PS- And what is this defect called? Its not really a spine roll because the spine is actually fine. and Its not a crease by my definition...

fold 2.jpg

fold1.jpg

20191123_205017.jpg

Not recommending or advising or anything as that can get people in hot water but I have flattened such by putting in bags and boards, stacking, and putting 50 pounds of books over them fold side down for 6 mo.

2 minutes ago, kav said:

Not recommending or advising or anything as that can get people in hot water but I have flattened such by putting in bags and boards, stacking, and putting 50 pounds of books over them fold side down for 6 mo.

I mean it's worth a shot if you don't want to spend money, those are pretty serious spine rolls, I guess if I had 6 months and 50 pounds of books lol

I have neither, melty face!

15 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I mean it's worth a shot if you don't want to spend money, those are pretty serious spine rolls, I guess if I had 6 months and 50 pounds of books lol

I have neither, melty face!

Technically I dont think this is spine roll but some book curvature or something.  Actual spine roll is right at the spine.  

Screenshot 2019-11-23 at 6.36.17 PM.png

19 minutes ago, kav said:

Totally agree with @kav (thumbsu

put a big hardcover book on top of a reversed small stack of problematic books ( with heavy backboards ) then put a box or two of comics on top. Could be better in a month, or two...or a year depending on degree of bend. :wishluck:

3 minutes ago, kav said:

Technically I dont think this is spine roll but some book curvature or something.  Actual spine roll is right at the spine.  

Screenshot 2019-11-23 at 6.36.17 PM.png

Doesn't spine rolls come from folding the pages back to read? I guess it would depend on where you did the "fold" when pulling it back behind, idk, I'd still call it spine roll but I'm not an expert :) 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM
"an"

58 minutes ago, cigars&comix said:

fold 2.jpg

fold1.jpg

20191123_205017.jpg

Unfortunately looks like the color breaks on some of the creases, however pictures are deceiving, and could just be a flash hitting the crease. :wishluck: 

however the bends do not look to extreme to flatten. ( Page color, and possible minor rusting to staples may be another problem?)  :foryou: