• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Louisville Galaxycon 2019

17 posts in this topic

So, today I went to Louisville Galaxycon. 

This thread will die a quick death, as I don't have the patience/initiative to take pics of wall books or cosplayers. So, none of that is coming, apologies. 

But, it didn't seem right to hijack another thread, so I decided to just post it here, and if any of the rest of you happened to attend, you can post your stuff here too.

Its pretty amazing how this show has evolved. It  started off as a small homegrown show called Derby City Comic Con. Then it got sold to another guy, who in turn sold it to the Lexington Comic and Toy Con guy, who then sold it to the Supercon people, who turned it into this. From those very humble beginnings it has grown into a huge show, there had to be 10,000-15000 people there, if not more. 

For Starters, I didn't buy a single comic! This show is huge, and is one of the kinds where there are tons of "celebs" (I.e. Washed up actors, former Power Rangers, wrestlers, etc) and most of then congoers seem to be mostly into cosplay and anime and stuff I just don't care about. There were a few comic dealers, to be fair, but I wasn't really in the market for anything in particular, and didn't have the patience for box digging. 

However, the con did a great job in bringing in a wide array of pros, so I got to meet lots of folks and get some signatures, and it was fun to meet several comic heroes.

The main draws seemed to be Greg Capullo (who had a line all day. I met him at Lexington a couple of years ago so I skipped him this year, but he is indeed a very nice fellow) and a bunch of people whose names I recognized, but whose work I don't know (Donny Cates, Clayton Crain, Ryan Stegman etc. I'm assuming these names mean something to some of you.)

For me, the draw was the guys I grew up reading as a Copper Age Kid...wait, no, let me rephrase that...Child of the Copper Age!

First up, Marc Silverstri...

For the first time ever, I bought a "fan package". I'm not normally a signature guy, but there were a lot of folks here that I legit love, so I ponied up. Silverstri was MY DUDE when I was a kid, UXM 228 was my first X-Men comic ever, that's what got me hooked. So I bought a $50 package where you got five autographs and a poster and a bag and a selfie and etc. So this is what I got signed, the seminal (to me) Fall of the Mutants storyline, plus that classic crucified Wolvie cover. And the included litho was actually really nice. It's horking huge, and printed on a thick stock. Probably worth the price of the package alone.

Mr Silverstri was very nice and engaging. 

He's also very tall.

He also wears sunglasses indoors, so may or may not be a vampire.

I decline to post the selfie here because there are very few pics of me where I don't look like a doofus, and this one was no exception.

IMG_9290.JPG

IMG_9302.JPG

Next, Howard Chaykin! If you haven't met Howard, he is a real character and a lot of fun. I just like hearing the guy talk. He congratulated me on my superior taste in smut. I do love his trashy babes and tough guys, it's true. Do yourself a favor and meet him if you get a chance, he's a one of a kind.

IMG_9292.JPG

IMG_9293.JPG

I am a hardcore, long time fan of the Giffen/DeMatteis Justice League. It is probably my favorite superhero comic series of all time. It pushes all of the nostalgia buttons for me.

A few years ago I got Kevin Maguire to sign all of his issues for free. Last year, I got Giffen to sign the #1. This year I brought all of those books, but at $5 a sig from JMD, decided to only get the first five signed. And by the time I brought these in, Giffen wasn't at his table anymore. So I'll be lugging them around a bit longer. 

However, Spencer Beck was there with some pages, so I did pick up a couple of cheap Giffen pages, which I got Keith to sign at Spencer's booth. The Trencher splash was nice for the price, even though I know not everyone is a fan of this era of his work, I liked the nice big image.

But I was very excited when I found this next piece simply marked trading card. Friends, that's no trading card. That's the card art to the Super Powers Steppenwolf figure! For a hundred bucks I couldn't pass that up. Where are my Super Powers toy nerds??

IMG_9294.JPG

IMG_9299.JPG

IMG_9298.JPG

And now, the moment which made my day, and indeed, became a historic one for me as a collector, and perhaps justifies the creation of this thread!

As noted above, like many kids my age, I was obsessed with the X-Men, and the Inferno storyline came at the peak of my fandom. 

One weekend I was spending the night at my best friend's house, and he'd just bought the new issue of What If, which was "What if the X-Men Lost Inferno."

That comic blew my tiny mind! I ran out to the local convenience store the next day and bought my own copy, and read and reread it. I even wrote a letter, which got published a couple of issues later. That comic was IT for me.

So, seeing that Ron Lim was attending the con, I dug out my original copy of that book, and brought it to the show. I showed it to him and thanked him, and asked to get I think signed to me with and old fashioned splash page signature. I was stoked. And then...

IMG_9296.JPG

IMG_9297.JPG

7 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

I went to a local show in Bowling Green instead today. All driving I did I probably should have gone to 
Louisville instead. Maybe next year. I went to one a couple of years ago that was split between 2 hotels
that was a disaster.

You know, if I'd come to this show just looking to buy (which is my usual MO) id probably have been disappointed. But this particular year, with this very specific lineup of creators, it was a great show for me. 

Hmm two hotels, was that Fandomfest maybe? That was a complete disaster run by con artists, legendarily awful. Galaxycon is definitely more of a "pop culture con" than strictly comic con, but it does seem to very efficiently run.

Ok, thanks for reading, if you did. If anyone went to Galaxycon, post away! If not, this thread will harmlessly float away as though it never existed. 

5 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

Ok, thanks for reading, if you did. If anyone went to Galaxycon, post away! If not, this thread will harmlessly float away as though it never existed. 

Congrats on that original art! That's one of them right place right time, as good, great, or better than you find at half price books or anywhere, which makes you a ^^

:tink:

2 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Congrats on that original art! That's one of them right place right time, as good, great, or better than you find at half price books or anywhere, which makes you a ^^

:tink:

Thanks bud, i couldn't believe it. Literal dream come true for me.

5 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

Sounds like a proper con day to me!  Rock on :headbang:

Thanks man, most fun I've had at a show in some time.

4 hours ago, F For Fake said:

And now, the moment which made my day, and indeed, became a historic one for me as a collector, and perhaps justifies the creation of this thread!

As noted above, like many kids my age, I was obsessed with the X-Men, and the Inferno storyline came at the peak of my fandom. 

One weekend I was spending the night at my best friend's house, and he'd just bought the new issue of What If, which was "What if the X-Men Lost Inferno."

That comic blew my tiny mind! I ran out to the local convenience store the next day and bought my own copy, and read and reread it. I even wrote a letter, which got published a couple of issues later. That comic was IT for me.

So, seeing that Ron Lim was attending the con, I dug out my original copy of that book, and brought it to the show. I showed it to him and thanked him, and asked to get I think signed to me with and old fashioned splash page signature. I was stoked. And then...

IMG_9296.JPG

IMG_9297.JPG

So.Awesome.Being the same age,I know just how you felt picking up that book at the time.I couldn't WAIT for every issue of that series.Wolverine vs Conan!?Wolvie as a Sheild agent?Always so.damn.cool.And now I'll look for your letter.You need to get someone to witness you sig series the book with your 'work' printed inside.Dude,that would be sooooo great!! hahahahaha! 

I was excited for you just with the 'card' and was like,oh yeah,Destro is the SHIZZLE,but seeing this?Ear to ear smile for you my man! :banana:

I meant to quote your super excellent art page,but Jimmersfail.Know I think that it's one of the greater pages though.I can still remember seeing it and being whooooaaah! 

Edited by porcupine48

7 hours ago, porcupine48 said:

So.Awesome.Being the same age,I know just how you felt picking up that book at the time.I couldn't WAIT for every issue of that series.Wolverine vs Conan!?Wolvie as a Sheild agent?Always so.damn.cool.And now I'll look for your letter.You need to get someone to witness you sig series the book with your 'work' printed inside.Dude,that would be sooooo great!! hahahahaha! 

I was excited for you just with the 'card' and was like,oh yeah,Destro is the SHIZZLE,but seeing this?Ear to ear smile for you my man! :banana:

I meant to quote your super excellent art page,but Jimmersfail.Know I think that it's one of the greater pages though.I can still remember seeing it and being whooooaaah! 

Aw thanks buddy! Man, What If was so great. Every issue was practically guaranteed to feature some sort of death that you'd never see in the "real" Marvel Universe, so the stakes were always very high. Just a great series. and yeah, I loved that Wolvie SHIELD issue too, Liefeld art and all!

ha My letter is a couple of issues later, I think 11? It was another X-Men story where everyone dies. Maybe I'll dig it out later and post it up here, it's sure to be plenty embarrassing. Oh and yes, if anyone want some me to sign their copy for signature series, I'll be more than happy to comply. I'll just use the Neal Adams pricing structure: $50 for a sig, unless it's for CGC, in which case it's probably more like $100 and also I'm gonna give ya dirty looks!

And yeah, I love this specific page too. When he said he had a page in his portfolio, I was already going to buy it, no matter which page was. But when he pulled this one out, I couldn't believe it! Phoenix! Goblin Queen! Reanimated Wolvie Skeleton! It's go to it all! The only page I'd want more is the page where Wolvie guts Kitty Pryde, and that one is sitting in a CAF gallery marked NFS. Oh well. I'm quite content with this one.

thanks again folks, it was fun to share!