• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

heritage auctions - internet bidding vs. live bidding

6 posts in this topic

can someone clarify how heritage auctions work? I just noticed that once internet bidding closes there is additional 'live bidding'. so it seems that even if you are the winning bidder when internet bidding ends you can still get outbid, is this at a brick and mortar location or by phone? I'd get this for the big feature auctions but I thought the weekly Sunday Comics, Animation & Art aucitons were online only?

6 minutes ago, rsonenthal said:

Sunday is online only. 

that's what I thought, so I don't get the 'live' portion on the weekly auction. Also, now with all bidding closed I won a lot with my absolute maximum bid (including a + "1 increment protection bid" while my winning high bid when 'internet bidding' closed was significantly lower, seems shady... I am not a frequent HA customer and I have question for the repeat customers: how often do you find your winning bids hitting right at your maximum? 

I can't speak for everyone, but I've gotten pieces for a lot less than my maximum.  But, if you're concerned, you could simply watch the auction and bid live on HA Live.

I don't know if I was clear, but the Sunday auction is going on right now.  Just like the other auctions, the pre auction internet bidding stops, and then the live piece takes over.  I'm not sure there is any difference between the Sunday weekly auction format and the format of the Saturday auction as part of the larger, quarterly auctions. 

Fwiw, I won a piece from a Sun auction a few weeks back. First time going thru Heritage. I wasn't really sure the market for the partcular piece, so i just bid max what i was comfortable with (as i don't play the sniping game) and it ended about 1/3 of my high bid and with no additional bids during the live portion.

11 hours ago, diva_tsarina said:

that's what I thought, so I don't get the 'live' portion on the weekly auction. Also, now with all bidding closed I won a lot with my absolute maximum bid (including a + "1 increment protection bid" while my winning high bid when 'internet bidding' closed was significantly lower, seems shady... I am not a frequent HA customer and I have question for the repeat customers: how often do you find your winning bids hitting right at your maximum? 

Never, or possibly, once. But, it is a question I have wondered about with lots of proxy bidding, including eBay.