• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Books for consignment being shipped from Canada

8 posts in this topic

Hey All, 

I apologize if this has been asked before - I couldn't find a thread.

I'm looking to ship books to the USA from Canada that will be consigned (They haven't been sold yet and are still my books). 

I don't want the receiver to pay any COD/duty charges... do you have any advice on how to send these?

stick with Canada Post? Do I use a broker? what value should be declared?

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Michelangelo said:

Hey All, 

I apologize if this has been asked before - I couldn't find a thread.

I'm looking to ship books to the USA from Canada that will be consigned (They haven't been sold yet and are still my books). 

I don't want the receiver to pay any COD/duty charges... do you have any advice on how to send these?

stick with Canada Post? Do I use a broker? what value should be declared?

Thanks!

Will you be sending it to a person or a company?

They shouldn't incur any COD/duty charges but if you declare over a certain amount, US customs usually requires some additional information from the receiver such as a SSN or EIN from the receiver.

If it's a fairly big consignment company like ComicLink, Comic Connect, Heritage or even MyComicShop, they won't have any problem providing the information.

Some individual may have an issue with their SSN.

I send my stuff to ComicLink via Fedex and since CL has a Fedex account, Fedex probably has the available information already to provide to US customs.

xoxo

greggy

I send my stuff for consignment via Chit Chats (they have a branch in Toronto), a company that takes packages over the border for a small fee and ships them USPS Priority. Costs me about $20 to send four slabs from Vancouver to Comiclink, MCS, etc. The only real restrictions are they will not take shipments with a declared value over $800 and shipments over $300 require an invoice (I just write one up in Word noting that the comics are being shipped for consignment and the value (whatever I have insured the comics for) is for customs purposes only).

https://chitchats.com/

1 hour ago, Black_Adam said:

I send my stuff for consignment via Chit Chats (they have a branch in Toronto), a company that takes packages over the border for a small fee and ships them USPS Priority. Costs me about $20 to send four slabs from Vancouver to Comiclink, MCS, etc. The only real restrictions are they will not take shipments with a declared value over $800 and shipments over $300 require an invoice (I just write one up in Word noting that the comics are being shipped for consignment and the value (whatever I have insured the comics for) is for customs purposes only).

https://chitchats.com/

Black_Adam, I have used Chit Chats before and they're great. Have you ever sent a shipment with a retail value worth more than $800 to ComicLink for consignment? And is this fine so long as the declared value (insurance value) is below $800?

Since this isn't a sale and the books aren't technically sold, this makes sense... kind of like when books are sent to/from CGC... you don't declare the full, top dollar retail value.

I never like to mess around with this kind of stuff.... I just play by the rules and hope my parcels arrive where they're supposed to go.

1 hour ago, greggy said:

Will you be sending it to a person or a company?

Greggy, this would be to a company

Edited by Michelangelo

Black_Adam, I have used Chit Chats before and they're great. Have you ever sent a shipment with a retail value worth more than $800 to ComicLink for consignment? And is this fine so long as the declared value (insurance value) is below $800?

Since this isn't a sale and the books aren't technically sold, this makes sense... kind of like when books are sent to/from CGC... you don't declare the full, top dollar retail value.

I never like to mess around with this kind of stuff.... I just play by the rules and hope my parcels arrive where they're supposed to go.

If it's to ComicLink, you should be OK with declaring more than $800 even though Fedex won't insure really more than $100 so you have to deal with any insurance if applicable.  At the minimum, just fill out the waybill and the commercial invoice.  You may need other forms if it's much higher.  If you want, you can PM me and I can walk you through what I do.  I never get anything held despite sending them tons of books. 

Thanks--Greg

It is a consignment so I declare the value I am insuring (they offer insurance up to $800 on all shipments) the comics for. And I have sent far higher value shipments and just declared them at $800. If you don't want the insurance declare them at $100 and you won't need to worry about providing an invoice. If they get lost or damaged you are screwed (just like with any other carrier) but I have never had that happen.

13 hours ago, Black_Adam said:

It is a consignment so I declare the value I am insuring (they offer insurance up to $800 on all shipments) the comics for. And I have sent far higher value shipments and just declared them at $800. If you don't want the insurance declare them at $100 and you won't need to worry about providing an invoice. If they get lost or damaged you are screwed (just like with any other carrier) but I have never had that happen.

Great. I'm going to do that. keep things simple... and you can't beat chit chats' prices.