• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who would you want to draw... You?

25 posts in this topic

The scenario... commissioning a comic book artist from any era to draw you (consider it a portrait).

Who would you pick?  Keeping in mind the artist would charge no more, no less than his/her usual rates.  

And optional: How would you want to be drawn by said artist?  Realistically, or in the vein of a particular character?

Me: Frazetta if I wanted to splurge... which I likely would just for a chance to talk to the late great... or Sienkiewicz.  If the latter, Moon Knight noir would be cool. 

BA9E79DE-0316-44B0-A9CA-3E77A5EDDE92.jpeg.af681304e3782f8f03487ca587955eae.jpeg

Edited by exitmusicblue

To stay in the Spirit of the game, I would go with Will Eisner, but only if he incorporated my name in one of those cool logo’s of his.

If it were free, I would probably go with Frazetta, in his cover art mode, and then put it up on HA.

Edited by Rick2you2

Collector portraits by artists, even great ones tend to suck unless the individual in question is "interesting" to the artist, as to their style or they add a lot of their style to the thing. A lot. Most of us are not that photgenic. It's why all the cutie and hunks in Hollywood get paid so much more than we do :)

reference - I believe it's a Richard Bober of the Franks (awful imo), don't have my Frank Collection books handy to confirm though. But whoever did it...awful.

So my picks would be Dave McKean or Clive Barker, either of whom would make the final piece much more about them than me.

13 minutes ago, furthur said:

Well, being the self absorbed guy that I am, I have already done this a few times. In fact, I have a commission theme that is a riff on Little Nemo with a bunch of pieces that will be worth approximately nothing someday except maybe to my kid when I am gone. Still, its been a fun exercise. Here is one of them.

IMG_2046.JPG

I now have a new commission theme: "Draw me Benno in my favorite comic."

10 hours ago, exitmusicblue said:

The scenario... commissioning a comic book artist from any era to draw you (consider it a portrait).

Who would you pick?  Keeping in mind the artist would charge no more, no less than his/her usual rates.  

Quite obviously, there can be only one pick... 

...BORIS!!!

183746644_Borisduo.thumb.jpg.bc5129979e0399201dcc8823595fc337.jpg

Edited by delekkerste

Well, if you look at my icon to the left, Mike Zeck was already kind enough to draw me into the last continuity story he drew - G.I. Joe #21 back in 2003.  

Maybe one day I'll ask Gerhard to draw me... great artist and also friend.  For me, that personal connection to the artist for something like this is as important as the end product itself.   Ger was kind enough to draw a pic of my childhood home (see attached) - frankly, rather look at that than a picture of myself. 

8501_Lynwood_House_Gerhard.jpg

Edited by comiconxion