• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Showing off your comics to non comicbook people?
5 5

105 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, Domo Arigato said:

I usually only do it at large family gatherings, like a Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner.  It's best to wait until everyone sits down for the meal, so they're more or less a captive audience. 

I'll then stand up and spend a couple of hours talking about comic books, Amway, or a recent trip to Thailand I won from findAwife.com before telling everyone to dig in. 

As you should

I usually only do it at large family gatherings, like a Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner.  It's best to wait until everyone sits down for the meal, so they're more or less a captive audience. 

I'll then stand up and spend a couple of hours talking about comic books, 

"Instead of saying Grace today, we are going to talk about comic books".  lol

The greater the age or the price will garner some interest since one declaration will usually lead to the other being asked.  There's usually some interest in the scarcity factor (especially if it's a WWII book), a bit of polite golf clapping, then everyone heads for the booze cabinet.  Oddly enough, no one's ever mentioned the obvious:  How do you get it in/out of the slab if you want to read it?

On reflection, this is probably the same reaction you'd get regardless of the collectible, no matter how treasured the item or passionate you might be about it.  If someone showed me a cabinet full of "Precious Moments" figurines or trotted out a stamp collection, I'd have a hard time being excited about it though I'd be mannered enough to listen for a bit just to learn something new (all the while edging nearer to the door).  I suppose there would be some extra salivating if a collectible elicits sentiment based on a person's own past or the greater the historic significance/impressiveness the item represents ("Why yes, Bertram... that is the space capsule Neal Armstrong returned in after he first walked on the moon") but even then you still might get a "meh" from some folks.

Just now, comicdonna said:

I'll then stand up and spend a couple of hours talking about comic books, 

giphy.gif We Can still say Grace and give thanks that they don't get Food Crumbs over the Glossy Pages! :headbang: 

its usually  quick convo and I do get the same responses that many of you get.. such as oh what do you think will happen in the next movie.. or that's old, cool, is it worth anything? never really pull out my books to show people have a picture I might show them of some of my cooler more expensive books. 

4 minutes ago, SeniorSurfer said:

The greater the age or the price will garner some interest since one declaration will usually lead to the other being asked.  There's usually some interest in the scarcity factor (especially if it's a WWII book), a bit of polite golf clapping, then everyone heads for the booze cabinet.  Oddly enough, no one's ever mentioned the obvious:  How do you get it in/out of the slab if you want to read it?

On reflection, this is probably the same reaction you'd get regardless of the collectible, no matter how treasured the item or passionate you might be about it.  If someone showed me a cabinet full of "Precious Moments" figurines or trotted out a stamp collection, I'd have a hard time being excited about it though I'd be mannered enough to listen for a bit just to learn something new (all the while edging nearer to the door).  I suppose there would be some extra salivating if a collectible elicits sentiment based on a person's own past or the greater the historic significance/impressiveness the item represents ("Why yes, Bertram... that is the space capsule Neal Armstrong returned in after he first walked on the moon") but even then you still might get a "meh" from some folks.

I agree with this as its generally what happens to often lol.. 

Best quick story is to tell is how you made a killing on a comic book first appearance.  Helps if the super-hero is movie popular. For example, an early Spider-Man (any SA) or Black Panther (FF 52) or Wolverine (IH 181).  Kinda like Antiques Roadshow  

You have to love the four color wonders the average person doesn't get it and never will. I'm glad to attend local shows where we all share the same love,Most people are put to sleep with the thought grown men collect comics but who cares, lol

1 hour ago, comicdonna said:

I read mine while stuffing the turkey nothing like some grease stains on an AF15 :banana:

50 minutes ago, NoMan said:

Don’t say a word. Let em come to you. Wish I remember the silent movie star who got the most publicity by saying nothing. Louis Brooks?

Mel Brooks? Kevin Smith (silent bob)?

1 hour ago, silverweb said:

Best quick story is to tell is how you made a killing on a comic book first appearance.  Helps if the super-hero is movie popular. For example, an early Spider-Man (any SA) or Black Panther (FF 52) or Wolverine (IH 181).  Kinda like Antiques Roadshow  

yeah but only keeps their interest for a few mins as the most.. they only care about hearing the crazy numbers that someone paid for a rare comic.

11 hours ago, Domo Arigato said:

I'll then stand up and spend a couple of hours talking about comic books, Amway, or a recent trip to Thailand I won from findAwife.com before telling everyone to dig in. 

Oh my God are you one of those Amway guys?  I love most of their products,  but man my cousin tries to talk me into joining and selling, and.....being a Diamond whatever.

45 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

Oh my God are you one of those Amway guys?  I love most of their products,  but man my cousin tries to talk me into joining and selling, and.....being a Diamond whatever.

If you clear your schedule for a couple of hours and give me your phone number, I'll be happy to answer your question.