• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Showing off your comics to non comicbook people?
5 5

105 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, Mr. Zipper said:

In my experience, it’s rarely worthwhile discussing with non collectors. The value is the only thing that catches their interest. Which is immediately followed by, “Then, why don’t you sell it?”

2058383705_2019-11-2819_16_20.png.a0a5ff52fae84b9297f058121f069703.png

clangers.gif.d1401acc5b8f7f37ee24f29fb91e7506.gif.5aa290c74ad60d11dbe68a28e5d7b85b.gif

:headbang:

23 minutes ago, Mr. Zipper said:

In my experience, it’s rarely worthwhile discussing with non collectors. The value is the only thing that catches their interest. Which is immediately followed by, “Then, why don’t you sell it?”

Yep

I don't have much trouble with it. Most of my friends are either collectors of something or are musicians or artists. They get it. Although I have a lot of stuff scattered tastefully around the house, most don't go into my comic cave unless they show an interest. "Civilians" often ask me why I live in a museum but I have so many different kinds of collectibles, there is usually something that makes them smile. They know I am an artist so they figure it comes with the territory. I rarely talk about it. I usually dodge the "value" questions and explain the "thrill of the hunt" which most don't get.

I will say, that when any of these people run into stuff, I usually get the call. I have been real lucky over the years to make quite a few scores by being "that guy".

18 minutes ago, oakman29 said:
41 minutes ago, Mr. Zipper said:

Yep

Try talking about it on the boards too, get your arm chewed off lol :jokealert:

:baiting:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

27 minutes ago, Mr. Zipper said:

lol i completely forgot about that point.. lol 

2 minutes ago, NoMan said:

It's all good, I just thought I was stepping on your toes, which wasn't the intent ... as cheerful as I thought I was, made me think twice... is all

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

21 hours ago, Gaard said:

When I talk about my collection with noncomic people, I usually get a look that says, "What's wrong with you? You're a grown man."

I never get that . I think it is because at the moment it is in the same room as my sword , knife , gun collection:headbang:

Some of the staff I occasionally speak to at my local cinema when I go to watch the Marvel and DC super-hero films seem very enthusiastic to discuss those films, but when I go on to talking about the original comic books, characters, story origins or creators, they aren't really that interested in what I have to say about the source material.

Edited by Ken Aldred

Talking about comics to people who 'get it' is a big reason why I started coming to the forums in the first place! 

Nobody, not even my stoner disc golf buddies, appreciates my independent / underground comix collection enough to sit through more than half a box. Nobody but me cares about the oddball Milwaukee counterculture items, the alternative newspapers. Every 5 years or so the local alternative paper or buzzsite does a 'Milwaukee's rich underground history' clickbait and a friend will say "do you have any of those?" And I'll be all "yeah, I do" and I'll invite them over and nothing ever happens. 

Or you show them a nice book in a slab and they don't get it. They only understand the money side, which I am reticent to discuss. 

And I do try and connect with them. I'll listen to their hobby stories like crazy. I enjoy viewing a good collection, any collection that has nice attention to detail. And I'd love for even one of the nieces / nephews to show any interest in comic books. 

I'm usually a little leery of showing my comics too much as it just might be too tempting for someone to not want to try and relieve me of some of my collection. A lot of my friends have kids and they in turn have friends and sometimes a lot of people are going in and out of my property, so I don't advertise what I have (except sometimes here on the boards) and nor do I have much displayed and I don't have a separate room where I keep everything stored with easy access.

Showing off my comics to non-comic book wait what?!!    Nope.  I keep them in my Danger Room, away from the great unwashed masses.   Why bother.  They either A) don't get it  B)  won't want to get it  C) roll eyes, and wonder why someone my age is still reading superhero stories.    Meh....I'd rather be alone with my thoughts.  

I've talked to poeple about comics many times, I've found that the trick is to connect it (comics) to something tangible, something that seems more "real" to the listener. I've had the pleasure of holding lectures about comics for non-comic interested people, but always made the subject with some kind of angle. The latest I held a while back was "Sex and sexuality in comics through publishing history.". Sex sells. But more important, people know about sex, they know about literature. This was just a more niched dive into the subject, and a fun one to boot. :D

10 hours ago, oldmilwaukee6er said:

Talking about comics to people who 'get it' is a big reason why I started coming to the forums in the first place! 

Nobody, not even my stoner disc golf buddies, appreciates my independent / underground comix collection enough to sit through more than half a box. Nobody but me cares about the oddball Milwaukee counterculture items, the alternative newspapers. Every 5 years or so the local alternative paper or buzzsite does a 'Milwaukee's rich underground history' clickbait and a friend will say "do you have any of those?" And I'll be all "yeah, I do" and I'll invite them over and nothing ever happens. 

Or you show them a nice book in a slab and they don't get it. They only understand the money side, which I am reticent to discuss. 

And I do try and connect with them. I'll listen to their hobby stories like crazy. I enjoy viewing a good collection, any collection that has nice attention to detail. And I'd love for even one of the nieces / nephews to show any interest in comic books. 

About the only good a book in a slab is, IS money...