• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Showing off your comics to non comicbook people?
5 5

105 posts in this topic

22 hours ago, BabaLament said:

Non-nerd/geek people look at both and go, "why would you build/collect *that*(?)" with a look of confused condescension on their face(s). I figure adding comics to the conversation wouldn't add anything constructive to the conversation(s).

I'd understand the scepticism over funko pop stuff but why don't you just tell them the OA pieces are super valuable one of a kind items? 

If someone stumbles into the comic book lair they are usually shocked at the sheer numbers of books I have, then ask if I have any Spider-Man. No ,but there are plenty of Bats and Supes. They are usually impressed with the age of some of the books. They love to look at 50's horror, which they never new existed. They don't get the collectability of the stuff, but everyone I talk to has read a comic book when they were kids and tell me all about it. I don't try to justify my collection by talking values, which is what they are really interested in! The conversation usually lasts less than 5 minutes.

Edited by johnenock

7 hours ago, johnenock said:

If someone stumbles into the comic book lair they are usually shocked at the sheer numbers of books I have, then ask if I have any Spider-Man. No ,but there are plenty of Bats and Supes. They are usually impressed with the age of some of the books. They love to look at 50's horror, which they never new existed. They don't get the collectability of the stuff, but everyone I talk to has read a comic book when they were kids and tell me all about it. I don't try to justify my collection by talking values, which is what they are really interested in! The conversation usually lasts less than 5 minutes.

I wish I had a comic book lair.  My comic cavern is more of a vomitorium, organization-wise.

My friends an family know that 

I collect them an I have shown people a few CGC graded slabs an some of my magazine runs , but nobody is really interested in them much, usually the subject quickly changes to something different that they or someone else collects

We have a lot of friends over, and they are mostly overwhelmed by the amount of stuff, but most don't care much about the individual pieces. The only comic I've had that genuinely impressed the common folk was when I still had my AF15. I had a few friends who just wanted to hold that one, which was cool.

1 hour ago, F For Fake said:

We have a lot of friends over, and they are mostly overwhelmed by the amount of stuff, but most don't care much about the individual pieces. The only comic I've had that genuinely impressed the common folk was when I still had my AF15. I had a few friends who just wanted to hold that one, which was cool.

nice can I hold it while sitting in my super fast, idling car while you are 100 ft back with no weapons or means of transportation, etc... ?? lol 

1 hour ago, Krismusic said:

nice can I hold it while sitting in my super fast, idling car while you are 100 ft back with no weapons or means of transportation, etc... ?? lol 

Oh, it's long gone. I'd love to hold it again myself!

4 hours ago, F For Fake said:

Was it graded? I'd think just seeing "first appearance of Peter Parker, spider-man" on the label would impact just about anyone...maybe even Bill Maher 

Edited by MGsimba77

6 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:

Was it graded? I'd think just seeing "first appearance of Peter Parker, spider-man" on the label would impact just about anyone...maybe even Bill Maher 

Yup, it was a lowly 1.5, but it was mine!

2 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Yeah. I just buy 'em and throw them into a container - never to be seen again...

lol

On 11/29/2019 at 5:49 PM, Robot Man said:

About the only good a book in a slab is, IS money...

There's kind of a saying along those lines (paraphrasing)... 

Look at all that clutter. The clutter used to be money, and that money used to be time. 

I collect in relative solidarity.

I have a couple guys in the city where I live that I visit to buy/sell/trade stuff with. None have ever been to my home. A colleague/friend who collects some comics and GI Joes is gonna come check out my collection, since he invited me over to see his already.

As for non-collecting people and family, they are not likely to see the stuff over the holidays. My brother and dad enjoy seeing a few things from time to time that I have bought but it is not a big interest for them (although I always let dad read a couple of the GI Combat or Sgt Rock comics I have acquired as he read these when he was a kid). My mom and sister don't care. My extended family likely won't go into the basement when visiting as there is room to host on the main floor. So basically its my little secret.

I am also hesitant to let too many people know how many books I have and let too many people see. Just want to be safe. Plus, I am not someone who feels a need to show off. My friend who is coming to see it expressed interest which is why I invited him over but if no one else asks, I am content with them knowing that I have comics and thats that. 

1 hour ago, comicginger1789 said:

I collect in relative solidarity.

I have a couple guys in the city where I live that I visit to buy/sell/trade stuff with. None have ever been to my home. A colleague/friend who collects some comics and GI Joes is gonna come check out my collection, since he invited me over to see his already.

As for non-collecting people and family, they are not likely to see the stuff over the holidays. My brother and dad enjoy seeing a few things from time to time that I have bought but it is not a big interest for them (although I always let dad read a couple of the GI Combat or Sgt Rock comics I have acquired as he read these when he was a kid). My mom and sister don't care. My extended family likely won't go into the basement when visiting as there is room to host on the main floor. So basically its my little secret.

I am also hesitant to let too many people know how many books I have and let too many people see. Just want to be safe. Plus, I am not someone who feels a need to show off. My friend who is coming to see it expressed interest which is why I invited him over but if no one else asks, I am content with them knowing that I have comics and thats that. 

i kind of have the same situation I dont like to show to many people my books.. they all just know I like comics and collect and have a few... not many know of my complete collection one only knows as she watches the money exchange hands when I go to buy from some people around the area. lol but I think she even forgets the books I have lol 

2 hours ago, oldmilwaukee6er said:

There's kind of a saying along those lines (paraphrasing)... 

Look at all that clutter. The clutter used to be money, and that money used to be time. 

Some of the most fun and rewarding time I have spent in life is the pursuit of the “clutter” I have amassed. The “thrill of the hunt” and the memories far out weigh the objects themselves...