• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

fake iron man tales of suspense?

21 posts in this topic

In my opinion, if, if, IF it's a fake, it's a REALLY good one.

Some fine "morse code" (dotted line, dash) parts in the "art" appear much thicker in the printed example.  I think this was just because of the printing process.

But what really has my attention is the 6th panel.  Not that much of an Iron Man, I'm calling it the "circle" on his chest.  In the "art", the rendering inside the circle has those 4 thin strokes.  In the printed example, they're thick at the top and thinner on the down stroke.  This seems to be inconsistent with how other thin lines in the "art" appear generally thicker in the "art", they don't start thick and go thin.  And to the left of that, it seems to exhibit the same behavior, thick to thin in the printed example but not the "art".

circle.jpg.a9e1b33e37e339b3d8bf40aa857c7bd8.jpg 

And this seems problematic (much too uniform vs the printed example)  rays.jpg.15b8407ddfdf7bb3f830f302b013101a.jpg

In contrast, in the 5th panel, these thin lines appear thicker in a uniform way.

chest.jpg.b6d4138a6e0957269cdd5fc055aca6e0.jpg

6 minutes ago, Will_K said:

Some fine "morse code" (dotted line, dash) parts in the "art" appear much thicker in the printed example.  I think this was just because of the printing process.

But what really has my attention is the 6th panel.  Not that much of an Iron Man, I'm calling it the "circle" on his chest.  In the "art", the rendering inside the circle has those 4 thin strokes.  In the printed example, they're thick at the top and thinner on the down stroke.  This seems to be inconsistent with how other thin lines in the "art" appear generally thicker in the "art", they don't start thick and go thin.  And to the left of that, it seems to exhibit the same behavior, thick to thin in the printed example but not the "art".

And this seems problematic (much too uniform vs the printed example)  rays.jpg.15b8407ddfdf7bb3f830f302b013101a.jpg

In contrast, in the 5th panel, these thin lines appear thicker in a uniform way.

I respect Will so much, he makes me pause. I believe it is the real page though. Request a scan that’s not touched up. This has the auto adjust minty fresh bright white sheen to it.

Boy there’s no substitute for holding a page in your hands before buying.

36 minutes ago, Will_K said:

These were some of the inconsistencies.  Again wasn't sure if the line quality in the printed page was a effected by printing standards?

Makes you think about all these galley edition and artists editions - it’s hard to fake OA if you’ve never seen the original, and only the final printed page. In the past, the edges of painting would not be widely photographed and circulated as a means of preserving authenticity. You can’t fake edges you’ve never seen. Probably why Kirby’s H&V Has been so widely copied. An earlier published example of OA pencil works. 

3 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

Just out of curiosity, has anyone seen fake panel pages? Not splashes, panels. If I were a forger, why spend a lot of time on a panel page when a fake splash or cover would bring more? That logic suggests in the event of doubt, it is real.

The biggest trend I think is the "artists production pages" that are being scanned using comic art sites and auction material to reproduce. Then on the computer you can do everything today to adjust color, zoom etc. There was a fake Avengers 4 Kirby page posted on a thread about two months ago.

16 hours ago, grapeape said:

I respect Will so much, he makes me pause. I believe it is the real page though. Request a scan that’s not touched up. This has the auto adjust minty fresh bright white sheen to it.

Boy there’s no substitute for holding a page in your hands before buying.

I would second that along with its exact size

not a expert in OA panels but have always wanted to get some rare ones.. anyways 

what is the white touch up area here I circled is this normal to see?

image.png.7aef16706ccc7619fd011ecd09d56436.png

6 minutes ago, Krismusic said:

not a expert in OA panels but have always wanted to get some rare ones.. anyways 

what is the white touch up area here I circled is this normal to see?

image.png.7aef16706ccc7619fd011ecd09d56436.png

White out or correction fluid to fix mistakes. Sometimes used by artist for effect.

On 11/28/2019 at 2:57 AM, Rick2you2 said:

Just out of curiosity, has anyone seen fake panel pages? Not splashes, panels. If I were a forger, why spend a lot of time on a panel page when a fake splash or cover would bring more? That logic suggests in the event of doubt, it is real.

There was a "Ditka" ASM 28 35 battle page that was on eBay a couple times a while back.  

6 hours ago, Unca Ben said:

There was a "Ditka" ASM 28 35 battle page that was on eBay a couple times a while back.  

Steven “Mike” Ditka, Superbowl winning coach and renowned Spider-Man artist.

on eBay anything is possible.

”Danger Will Robinson!!!”

Looks like the description was updated to include dimensions and back of page which shows the stamp. Also notated in the description is that it was bought from a major dealer in the hobby which could speak to the provenance if the seller were to provide the dealer name. 

Looks good to me and a nice page. Good luck if you are chasing it D.