• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

5th appearance of Sabretooth

11 posts in this topic

Sabes first appeared in '77 and had appeared a total of 4 times by '82 (PM & IF 84). Then in '86 he was everywhere--X-Men, X-Factor, Spectacular Spider-Man, Daredevil, and Power Pack! So, was one of these appearances Sabretooth's 5th or did he show up somewhere between 82 and 86? Does anyone know why a nothing villain who had previously only been associated with a 2nd tier Marvel hero suddenly appeared in 5 different books? Did some assistant editor 'rediscover' him and decide to make him a star by tying him to the X-books and Wolverine? Any insight is appreciated.

I'm not sure if this is 100% accurate (it looks good at first glance), but this is a list of the issues in order, as reprinted in Sabretooth Classics, including his first appearance (not included):

Iron Fist 14

Power Man and Iron Fist #66

Power Man and Iron Fist #78

Power Man and Iron Fist #84

Spectacular Spider-Man #116

Spectacular Spider-Man #119

X-Factor #10

Thor #374

Power Pack #27

Uncanny X-Men #212

Uncanny X-Men #213

Daredevil #238

Uncanny X-Men #219

Uncanny X-Men #221

Uncanny X-Men #222

He made into Thor too? I knew he was all over the Mutant Massacre but I didn't remember that.

Same deal. Thor was kicking hass in the Mutant Massacre.

I knew that Thor was involved in the Mutant Massacre but I guess I forgot that Sabes made it into that book. Angel getting his wings ripped off made a bigger impression I guess. What a great crossover series though, when issues of Thor and Daredevil can have a huge impact on the Marvel mutant universe. Thanks for the Sabes appearances list, JC. Any idea why he was brought back in such a big way in 86?

I'm not sure if this is 100% accurate (it looks good at first glance), but this is a list of the issues in order, as reprinted in Sabretooth Classics, including his first appearance (not included):

Iron Fist 14

Power Man and Iron Fist #66

Power Man and Iron Fist #78

Power Man and Iron Fist #84

Spectacular Spider-Man #116

Spectacular Spider-Man #119

X-Factor #10

Thor #374

Power Pack #27

Uncanny X-Men #212

Uncanny X-Men #213

Daredevil #238

Uncanny X-Men #219

Uncanny X-Men #221

Uncanny X-Men #222

That's 100% accurate as far as I know.

read the bronze age thread on ms. marvel. i think someone there mentions that claremont wanted to make sabretooth a big character back in the 70s and was going to make him a ms. marvel villian, who, as we all know, was fighting it out with mystique and who, on occasion, had dealing with mutants and other x-men related characters (afterall, rogue sucked out her powers and such), etc., but i guess that didn't happen.

so they made him big 8 years later as a wolvie villian i guess?

read the bronze age thread on ms. marvel. i think someone there mentions that claremont wanted to make sabretooth a big character back in the 70s and was going to make him a ms. marvel villian, who, as we all know, was fighting it out with mystique and who, on occasion, had dealing with mutants and other x-men related characters (afterall, rogue sucked out her powers and such), etc., but i guess that didn't happen.

so they made him big 8 years later as a wolvie villian i guess?

Sabretooth was always written as a Wolverine villian. In fact...at the time that IF 14 came out...he was to be his father as well. gossip.gif