• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rarest Signatures in Comics
7 7

190 posts in this topic

Curious what some of the rarest signatures are. Which artists/creators just were not around or did not sign stuff ever?

I know Ditko signed very very VERY few comics....but I feel his signature is plentiful enough as people often have written replies from him with his signature. What about someone like Marston? Is there anything known to have been signed by him? What others have you never seen or only ever seen a handful of?

Just now, RockMyAmadeus said:

Not even close. There are 125-200 Frazetta SS alone, and he signed a lot of other stuff over the years, too.

You want a rare sig? Jim Aparo. Mike Parobeck. The aforementioned Ditko. Gil Kane. Cockrum's fairly rare. 

Is Gil Kane's rare? I have one....at least I am 99% it is him. I will share pics and my story when I am home. 

1 minute ago, comicginger1789 said:

Is Gil Kane's rare? I have one....at least I am 99% it is him. I will share pics and my story when I am home. 

It's not super, Ditko-level rare, but it's is pretty uncommon. And, of course, no Sig Series. There are creators who are generally rare, and then there are Sig Series rare. Dave Stevens, for example, is common, but he never did any Sig Series.

3 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

Did he never attend cons or refuse to sign stuff? I am unfamiliar with him outside of being able to recognize his work on various books. 

Frazetta signed stuff all the time. He didn't do cons (or, at least, didn't do them for the 10 or so years before he died in 2010), but he signed a lot of stuff over the years.

"Rare" may differ from person to person, availability etc person etc.

But that is a lot of qualifiers to make THAT happen, I'm by no means an expert :)

John Byrne "could be considered rare", now that he no longer cgc's 

It's a perception, but also the reason for the question and thread, who's rare?

Idk, there are more experienced people here :)

19 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

I would love to have Romita sign it too but I have no idea where he goes Con wise and if he or whoever represents him would sign something if I were to submit it. Would just be for personal joy and appreciation.

Contact sharp comics: https://www.facebook.com/SharpComics

2 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Not even close. There are 125-200 Frazetta SS alone, and he signed a lot of other stuff over the years, too.

You want a rare sig? Jim Aparo. Mike Parobeck. The aforementioned Ditko. Gil Kane. Cockrum's fairly rare. 

I believe there are only 5 SS books signed by Aparo