• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rarest Signatures in Comics
7 7

190 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Is Barry Windsor Smith tough? I thought I heard he didn't sign much.

No, unless you want Sig Series. Then yes.

;)

I've got his Sybil print, signed and numbered, sitting right next to me. He'll sign anything you buy from his store, no charge.

But Barry has to make all the money on Barry's signature, or Barry gets upset.

3 hours ago, Robot Man said:
4 hours ago, rjpb said:

MMyst063.thumb.jpg.5ab7342d68b81df9689dcf45e84bc9d9.jpg

I have a Schomburg Cap I believe. Yeah, not a lot of his sigs floating around. Yours looks right to me. I was right in front of him when he signed my book.

What's always been amazing to me about that book is that it was published in April of 1945. I don't know if it was on the stands in April, but it might have been. It shows the high command getting on a plane and high-tailing it out of Berlin...but a mere 3 weeks or so later, both Hitler and Goebbels would be dead by suicide, and Goring would be captured by the Allies. It's possibly the last comic published that featured them while they were still alive.

4 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

What's always been amazing to me about that book is that it was published in April of 1945. I don't know if it was on the stands in April, but it might have been. It shows the high command getting on a plane and high-tailing it out of Berlin...but a mere 3 weeks or so later, both Hitler and Goebbels would be dead by suicide, and Goring would be captured by the Allies. It's possibly the last comic published that featured them while they were still alive.

The date stamp is 2-21. Comics were typically dated about 2 months ahead of the month they hit the stands. MM#64 would have been on the stands in late April, and is likely the last comic on the stands with him on the cover while he was still alive (though not for long), though he's a background figure, more implied than anything, and certainly not featured as he is on the cover of #63 - which brings up a whole 'nother topic better explored on the Hitler cover thread - that Hitler covers really should be divided into 2 categories, those where the Hitler image is the focus of the cover, and those where he is background, often in the form of a portrait.

3 minutes ago, rjpb said:

The date stamp is 2-21. Comics were typically dated about 2 months ahead of the month they hit the stands. MM#64 would have been on the stands in late April, and is likely the last comic on the stands with him on the cover while he was still alive (though not for long), though he's a background figure, more implied than anything, and certainly not featured as he is on the cover of #63 - which brings up a whole 'nother topic better explored on the Hitler cover thread - that Hitler covers really should be divided into 2 categories, those where the Hitler image is the focus of the cover, and those where he is background, often in the form of a portrait.

Gotcha. I wasn't sure if Timely followed the same rules during WWII, and conflicting sources online say different things. The Marvel database says the book was released on April 10, which wouldn't make much sense. hm

22 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I will second that.I have never seen his signature and I collect ECs. He wasn't happy about his horror work and like Ditko, turned his back on comics in later years.

Thanks Robot Man! 

An extensive online search revealed no items with his signature...

2 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I don't think Williamson was that hard if you lived on the East Coast back in the day. A lot harder for us West Coasters though. In 2000 SDCC did an EC renunion. About all the surviving EC staff showed up. I remember seeing a long group of tables with all the artists lined up. I was pretty speechless. I got Williamson to sign a few things for me. One was this along with Angelo Torres. Torres is about the only surviving EC staffer now I believe. Very special day...

comvalor1a.jpg

comvalor1b.jpg

(worship)(worship)(worship)

On 11/28/2019 at 8:06 PM, comicginger1789 said:

Is Gil Kane's rare? I have one....at least I am 99% it is him. I will share pics and my story when I am home. 

I have a signed Green lantern from Dynamic forces of Gil Kane.:bigsmile:

Edited by tv horror

5 hours ago, Robot Man said:

an EC renunion.

I love E.C although I don't have any originals I did "HAUNT" out the artists still living for their autographs.(worship) I have Kurtzman, Wood Feldstein, Evans, Marie and John Severin, Davis, Williamson, Wrightson, Foster, Craig and a few others I can't remember offhand.

Edited by tv horror