• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

9.8 cracked for pressing that wasn't supposed to be
1 1

36 posts in this topic

Good points raised and appreciate the feedback everyone. Definitely a learning lesson. I can dwell on it all day but it means nothing until I actually see the results. I'd like to think that I'm bummed out for no reason because I feel that it should be at least a 75% chance of the book coming back 9.8. But like mentioned above, it all comes down to the specific grader and the day they are having. Funny, I've had results go in every direction when cracking a book for re-grading. My ASM #300 9.8 got cracked for 3 sigs and it stayed 9.8. My previous Hulk #181 9.2 dropped from white pages to white/off-white after pressing it but stayed 9.2. And then my Marvel Super-Heroes #18 9.0 stayed 9.0 but page quality jumped to white after a press lol. It's a mixed bag!

In future, I'll definitely be reconsidering how I'll be submitting books to CGC no matter what the outcome is. Either way, I'll update this thread on the results. I sent a few books in for cross-over service as well and I know people always like to hear the results.  

3 hours ago, Arak Zantara said:

Jax said thank you very much. He really needed that boost, Hes going thru a "I feel ugly faze"

Mystafo I would like to point out that just because you were a little confused about my statement does not conclusively prove anything. To be fair. You could just be slow// now hold on...pump the breaks. theirs no shame here. maybe the umbilical cord got a little twisted. were you ever dropped? How do you feel about cerebral hematoma. Have you been tested? come on , I am gonna drive you over to this Dr. friend of mine, Hes a great proctologist and were going to have him test you for brain damage .         but great taste in Dogs

Now to be fair, I am going to consider my side of the fence for a moment . NAH I'm totally sane

Here is another way to look at it ( Says the mouse who is walking across the mirror) in a  numerical system where too fine of a point is being assigned, or if human judgement is the catalyst assigning a value on or near a point of diminishing return. Said results now become argumentative and subjective. open to interpretation.

The blue ball - if i ask you what color the ball is, You say blue , I say blue on Saturday when asked again. we both still agree its blue by assigning a numerical value there is a high probability that the ball is indeed blue and shall remain blue.

this math is pure and strong until the someone is color blind comes along and destroys all our careful calculations and hard work..THAT is more chaotic math. I am still not ruling out that you could be slow

;) Jax , heard you were slow and wants to give you a milk bone dog biscuit 

Really?  

Just wait and see what happens....hard to imagine that cracking and pressing would lower the grade.  But if it does, then you should hold the LCS owner responsible for the F-up and therefore the difference in price.  That particular book falling from a 9.8 to a 9.6.or 9.4 would be a $200 price difference, so perhaps the LCS owner gives you that much in store credit.....?

On 11/30/2019 at 11:36 PM, Lundon44 said:

Pressing won't necessarily drop grade. It's purpose is the opposite. But cracking any book at any grade for re-grading runs a risk of dropping in grade.

On 12/1/2019 at 12:23 AM, Arak Zantara said:

But the chance that a grade changes signifies a flawed system at the mercy of an individuals mood, if they are hung over, did their spouse leave them

This is exactly why it's completely irrational for a rational person to be paying multiples more for a relatively common book that comes with a CGC 9.8 graded label, as opposed to one with a CGC 9.6 graded label.  Especially since grading is definitely much more of an art in terms of just being one person's opinion at a particular point in time, as opposed to being anything even remotely close to an exact science.  hm

3 hours ago, RonS2112 said:

Just wait and see what happens....hard to imagine that cracking and pressing would lower the grade.  But if it does, then you should hold the LCS owner responsible for the F-up and therefore the difference in price.  That particular book falling from a 9.8 to a 9.6.or 9.4 would be a $200 price difference, so perhaps the LCS owner gives you that much in store credit.....?

Can you explain to me why the LCS owner shoud be held completely accountable here, when in fact a large part of this might actually be attributable to CGC's inconsistency when it comes to grading comic books?  ???

If we follow your rationale here, then should the original poster here be paying the LCS owner a few huindred dollars more if the book comes back with a CGC 9.9 graded label?  hm

11 hours ago, Arak Zantara said:

Jax said thank you very much. He really needed that boost, Hes going thru a "I feel ugly faze"

Mystafo I would like to point out that just because you were a little confused about my statement does not conclusively prove anything. To be fair. You could just be slow// now hold on...pump the breaks. theirs no shame here. maybe the umbilical cord got a little twisted. were you ever dropped? How do you feel about cerebral hematoma. Have you been tested? come on , I am gonna drive you over to this Dr. friend of mine, Hes a great proctologist and were going to have him test you for brain damage .         but great taste in Dogs

Now to be fair, I am going to consider my side of the fence for a moment . NAH I'm totally sane

Here is another way to look at it ( Says the mouse who is walking across the mirror) in a  numerical system where too fine of a point is being assigned, or if human judgement is the catalyst assigning a value on or near a point of diminishing return. Said results now become argumentative and subjective. open to interpretation.

The blue ball - if i ask you what color the ball is, You say blue , I say blue on Saturday when asked again. we both still agree its blue by assigning a numerical value there is a high probability that the ball is indeed blue and shall remain blue.

this math is pure and strong until the someone is color blind comes along and destroys all our careful calculations and hard work..THAT is more chaotic math. I am still not ruling out that you could be slow

;) Jax , heard you were slow and wants to give you a milk bone dog biscuit 

just to toss a hypothetical scenario out there to be a dingus.. what the ball being blue on sat but asked again later it might be blueish whitish now.. because say it wasn't stored properly left out in the rain and the rain was slightly acidic and washed away a lot of the colour and it was very sunny afternoon after the rain and the UV index was super high.. the ball's colour would not be the same blue that you originally started off with.. 

Sorry not trying to pick or anything just wanted to state that if the ball is blue now doesn't mean 100% it will always be blue later. a statement like this similar to grading and comics can be subjective.. specially with comics where we know storage conditions are super key in their longevity and condition. 

5 hours ago, RonS2112 said:

That particular book falling from a 9.8 to a 9.6.or 9.4 would be a $200 price difference, so perhaps the LCS owner gives you that much in store credit.....?

This particular book is the variant edition. It would be a difference of $1950 from 9.8 down to 9.6

edit: GPA last sale

9.8 = $2750

9.6 = $800

Edited by Catwomancomics

22 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Can you explain to me why the LCS owner shoud be held completely accountable here, when in fact a large part of this might actually be attributable to CGC's inconsistency when it comes to grading comic books?  ???

If we follow your rationale here, then should the original poster here be paying the LCS owner a few huindred dollars more if the book comes back with a CGC 9.9 graded label?  hm

Sure.....the LCS owner is certified by CGC to act as an agent for collecting books to be graded.  That comes with a certain level of responsibility, once the books enter into their custody.

On 12/10/2019 at 2:43 PM, lou_fine said:

If I'm not mistaken, a reholder will retain the grade no matter what (assuming no major damage to the holder).  That is what the OP signed up for, but the LCS submitted the book for a crack + press.  There is no guarantee that the book will come back with the same grade with a crack + press.

On 12/10/2019 at 3:43 PM, lou_fine said:

Well, to be fair here.. chances of a 9.6 vs a 9.9 is night and day. I'm pretty sure I'd have the only 9.9 on the census. Those odds are probably 1:10000 lol. And honestly, if it did happen I likely would give the shop owner a gift in my appreciation. However, the odds of dropping a grade are substantially higher and probably closer to 60%. Again, I could be wrong. Most people I've told the story too are very optimistic and say I'm stressing over nothing and the book will come back 9.8. I spoke to a friend of mine who does pressing/cleaning for a living and without seeing the book he thinks it's a better chance it will drop to 9.6. And he's tossed out a friendly offer to take a crack at getting the book back to a 9.8 through whatever wizardry he feels he can do.  

On 12/13/2019 at 2:06 PM, masterlogan2000 said:

If I'm not mistaken, a reholder will retain the grade no matter what (assuming no major damage to the holder).  That is what the OP signed up for, but the LCS submitted the book for a crack + press.  There is no guarantee that the book will come back with the same grade with a crack + press.

Exactly.

7 hours ago, Lundon44 said:

However, the odds of dropping a grade are substantially higher and probably closer to 60%. Again, I could be wrong. Most people I've told the story too are very optimistic and say I'm stressing over nothing and the book will come back 9.8. I spoke to a friend of mine who does pressing/cleaning for a living and without seeing the book he thinks it's a better chance it will drop to 9.6. And he's tossed out a friendly offer to take a crack at getting the book back to a 9.8 through whatever wizardry he feels he can do.  

This is the exact reason I don't understand why anybody in their right mind would ever consider paying multiples more for a CGC 9.8 graded copy of an otherwise common book as they would for a CGC 9.6 graded copy of the same book.  :screwy:

I can certainly understand paying a slight premium for the CGC 9.8 graded copy, but multiples more for a copy that more than likely (in both yours and a professional presser's opinion) could conceiveably come back encased in a lower graded slab if ever sent back in for the regrading crapshoot.  hm

On 12/16/2019 at 7:43 PM, lou_fine said:

This is the exact reason I don't understand why anybody in their right mind would ever consider paying multiples more for a CGC 9.8 graded copy of an otherwise common book as they would for a CGC 9.6 graded copy of the same book.  :screwy:

I can certainly understand paying a slight premium for the CGC 9.8 graded copy, but multiples more for a copy that more than likely (in both yours and a professional presser's opinion) could conceiveably come back encased in a lower graded slab if ever sent back in for the regrading crapshoot.  hm

But is that common of a book? I mean, the standard covers are but my understanding is the Djurdjevic variant is a bit harder to come by. Also, here's the best part.. I bought the book in 9.8 for $150CAD somewhere in and around 2015. 

Whether the book comes back 9.8, 9.9 or even 9.4 I'm technically still ahead. But doesn't mean I won't be pissed about losing out on thousands over an error that wasn't mine that should could have been prevented. 

Edited by Lundon44